Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Contents of RAM Disk erased after chrash/restart

Contents of RAM Disk erased after chrash/restart
Keda
Senior User
Apr 13, 2000, 12:20 PM

That pretty much says it, I have my Seti folder on my RAM disk and when I restart/crash, I loose it. G4/400, 9.0.4, 128MB. I do have 'save contents' checked in Mem CP.

[This message has been edited by Keda (edited 04-13-2000).]

Apr 18, 2000, 01:44 PM

In your preferences folder is an item called "Persistent RAM Disk." It should be quite large... about the same size as your RAM Disk.

I had problems where after a crash, my RAM Disk just wouldn't appear at all.

But if I went into the Memory Control Panel, set up a NEW RAM Disk at *exactly* the same size, I could reboot and the Mac would read the old prefs and everything was preserved.

Back up the pref file to be safe first. If you accidentally write over the saved RAM Disk image somehow, you'll be able to try again.

-Nick <[email protected]>

darkduck
Apr 18, 2000, 03:52 PM

The G3/G4 uses a new memory process that does not allow the contents of a RAM Disk to be saved after a restart. The RAM looses power for too long. Apple has a TIL about it, it should be dated around the time the G3 came out. Sorry

just me
Apr 18, 2000, 05:52 PM

I disagree. I have a ram disk set up on my iMac for SETI and Netscape cache, and it is saved on restart and restored at startup every time.

I have the same setup on a couple of powerbooks (G3/233 & 300), but things are not quite as idyllic there. Occasionally, the ram disk does disappear after a crash. However, it is always stored/restored thru a restart or a shutdown.

It bears mentioning here that if you crash, it won't matter if your ram disk is restored on reboot; the contents will be those as of the last time the ram disk was saved, probably at the last restart. If you're running SETI, it would serve you well to do a restart before running anything likely to crash (like a java page in Netscape).

Vision
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2000, 09:41 PM

Starting with the original beige G3, Apple starting using SDRAM instead of FPM memory. The controller in the beige G3 was unique in that it supported both SDRAM and EDO RAM (although Apple never used EDO in the G3s). A side effect of this was that power was not able to be supplied to memory during a restart. Apple has provided a "Save RAM Disk to hard disk" feature, which works great when performing a proper restart or shutdown. However, since the beige G3, a forced restart causes memory to lose contents, including RAM disks.
This may not be entirely accurate, as I am doing this from memory, but at the time of the beige G3, an Apple engineer told me something to that effect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules