Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ��� How to use more than 4.2 GB on DVD?

��� How to use more than 4.2 GB on DVD?
jay999
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2003, 10:23 AM

OSX.2.6 G4 933 Superdrive,
Do I need something like toast to be able to burn images greater than 4.2 GB? I have a 4.32 GB dvd image that I want to burn but for some reason I am limited to 4.2 of a 4.5 gb disk. Also if I want to copy a dvd so it will run on a consumer dvd player what software would I need.

Thanks in advance.

j

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2003, 10:53 AM

My apple DVD disks are 4.7GB - get one of those.

jay999  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2003, 10:59 AM

Actually i think my disks are 4.7 GB but just limited by the OS to 4.2.

proton
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 11:15 AM

DVD blank disks aren't really 4.7 GB in "real" GBs used by the OS. Like a hard disk, this is actually 4.7 * 1000 * 1000 bytes. If you calculate that out, it's really 4.4 GB or so. I'm not sure where the other 0.2 GB is going, but it certainly explains where parts of it are going.

What are you using the burn the disk? Have you tried Toast?

- proton

jay999  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2003, 11:20 AM

I havent tried toast yet. The main reason for the question is I want to copy a dvd that I have so it will play in a consumer dvd player. I know this is legally a grey area but I am sure someone can help out.

thanks
j

:XI:
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 12:02 PM

Toast will only allow 4.4gb. Which is enough for your needs.

jay999  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2003, 12:08 PM

But will simply burning the DVD image in Toast allow me to view the DVD on my home DVD player? I thought I needed some kind of DVD extractor to actually copy a dvd so it worked on home players.

j

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2003, 12:13 PM

A 4.7 GB disc holds about 4.36 GB. Dunno why your 4.32 GB disc won't work. How are you burning it, and what disc format?

jay999  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
A 4.7 GB disc holds about 4.36 GB. Dunno why your 4.32 GB disc won't work. How are you burning it, and what disc format?
When I put a DVD into my superdrive a window asks me to format it and the only option is 4.2 GB. I believe Toast will allow me to burn more than the 4.2 GB but the big question is will it play in a consumer dvd player.

J

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 12:40 PM

Sony Blue Laser Disc technology can burn DVD's with over 20 gigs on them.

the consumer models you hook up to your TV are like 2,500 bucks though.

I'm hoping that the Dual 3 gig G5 will have an option for one of these burners.

But would a disk created with blue laser play on consumer DVD players?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2003, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by jay999:
When I put a DVD into my superdrive a window asks me to format it and the only option is 4.2 GB. I believe Toast will allow me to burn more than the 4.2 GB but the big question is will it play in a consumer dvd player.
AFAIK, the discs made by OS X natively do not play in a DVD player, even if you have a properly authored VIDEO_TS folder. It sounds like you're simply creating a data disc and there is some overhead involved. - That's not gonna work in a DVD player.

What you need to do is create the proper VIDEO_TS folder with whatever program you're using and burn it with Toast, since with the proper settings Toast adheres to the DVD video standard.

Or you could use iDVD to make your video DVDs.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by proton:
DVD blank disks aren't really 4.7 GB in "real" GBs used by the OS. Like a hard disk, this is actually 4.7 * 1000 * 1000 bytes. If you calculate that out, it's really 4.4 GB or so. I'm not sure where the other 0.2 GB is going, but it certainly explains where parts of it are going.

What are you using the burn the disk? Have you tried Toast?

- proton
I think it could stem from misuse (or inconsistent use) of terminology. Actually it seems to be a bit of creative marketing. Your math is also wrong. 4.7*1000*1000 = 4.7 million, not billion

You are assuming 4.7Gb to equal 4.7 billion bytes. This isn't entirely true. 4.7Gb (TRUE gb, base 8) is actually:

5,046,586,572.8 bytes.

That's 4.7x1024x1024x1024.

Now you see where the creative marketing comes in. If (in your published docs) you list 4.7Gb capacity (but assume 1Gb = 1 billion bytes) you end up with 4,700,000 bytes on paper. In the real world, as far as the OS and hardware are concerned, 4.7 billion bytes is actually:

4.377Gb

4.377*1024*1024*1024

Add a little overhead (say, 50-100 Mb or so) for filesystem nonsense and you've got your 4.2/4.3Gb disc.

It's the same reason harddrives are never their "rated" capacity. My "60Gb" drive is ACTUALLY 55.88Gb in the "real" numbers, due to creative math and a dual meaning to the term "gigabyte" Apple can (correctly) state that it is a 60Gb drive.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
Sony Blue Laser Disc technology can burn DVD's with over 20 gigs on them.

the consumer models you hook up to your TV are like 2,500 bucks though.

I'm hoping that the Dual 3 gig G5 will have an option for one of these burners.

But would a disk created with blue laser play on consumer DVD players?
No, it wouldn't play in a consumer drive.

The benefit of blue laser technology is that blue lasers operate at a higher wavelength (and can therefore be "smaller" and able to read/write "smaller" chunks of data at incredibly high density). The downside is that in order to read this disc, you also have to have a blue laser capable of operating at the same wavelength as the recording device. I'm not aware of ANY consumer DVD drives that can do this at the moment.

I imagine that as blue laser tech catches on it WILL be used for the next revisions of the DVD standards (which should support Hi-Def resolutions of 720p/1080i), and when the times comes you'll start seeing more and more players/writers of this type.

My understanding is, however, that the blue laser drives ARE capable of reading "older" discs, so the new HD players coming out should work fine with all our old DVD's (something I'm really hoping for, as I've built up quite the collection and some things definitely don't warrant the extra picture quality of HD... Monty Python comes to mind).
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

jay999  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2003, 02:34 PM

OK so I found you need to rip it with a program like DVDBackup and if the data is too large you can use something like DVD2oneX to compress it or get rid of the extras so it will fit on the DVD. Then you need Toast Titanium to burn it.

J

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 04:47 PM

yep 4.7 gig disks will only hold 4.37 gigs
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2003, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by jay999:

J
Don't format the disc when it asks you to, just choose ignore (if Toast is the foreground app you won't be asked to format the disc.) Then in Toast choose DVD under Other. Click the New DVD button and give it an appropriate title. Then drag a VIDEO_TS folder into the window. Burn away.

The folder should contain 4.36GB or less, at least that is what dvd2one creates.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2003, 02:29 PM

Toast is certainly a good investment, but you should try burning the disk image with Disk Copy first. If that works, you can hold out on Toast until version 6

Forum Links
Forum Rules