Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod battery problem

iPod battery problem
Nuks
Jul 2, 2006, 09:49 PM

I used to charge from a firewire cable, but am now forced to use a USB. The USB won't charge my iPod (3 gen) from the computer, so I bought a USB power adaptor to charge from the wall, and this doesn't work either. When I plug it in, the apple symbol shows, and then a low battery sign (?) (it's a battery almost empty with an exclamation point next to it).

Any help?
Thanks.

Nuks  (op)
Jul 3, 2006, 03:52 PM

I'm bumping this just because I need an answer asap.

jay999
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2006, 10:51 PM

Same issue .. gen 3 iPod 15GB,

The iPod now no longer conects via firewire but does seem to charge via firewire. It can connect via USB but it cant charge via USB. The battery is definitely shot as it loses its charge after a few minutes so would changing the battery help fix the firewire connction issue?

I reset the iPod, did a restore on it, checked its disk etc.

J

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 5, 2006, 01:10 AM

To the original poster: The 3G iPods can't charge via USB at all, so I'm not sure why you bought a USB wall charger. You want a firewire charger. That's basically the only answer I have for you.

To jay999: Sounds like there's something wrong with the firewire receptor (if that's what you call it) on your iPod's circuit board. I've heard of iPods charging but not mounting via firewire when some of the soldering on the connector comes apart. You can try a different cable to make sure that's not the problem, but otherwise you may just need to charge it via firewire and sync it via USB.

Nuks  (op)
Jul 5, 2006, 07:30 PM

Yeah, but the thing is, the USB charger package (and the apple store) clearly states that the charger will work with "all dock connector models." My 3rd gen is a dock connector model. I gave my firewire/firewire charger to my brother only becuase Apple told me I could use a USB charger...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 6, 2006, 03:53 AM

Yes, that is misleading. The 3G is kind of a weird model in that it can sync via USB but not charge from it, and it's the only iPod with a dock connector like that.

Nuks  (op)
Jul 6, 2006, 05:10 AM

Yeah, I want to send Apple an email telling them my problem, and to let them know the packaging was confusing (in my case), as I just assumed it would work for me.. but I can't find their email adress..

Forum Links
Forum Rules