Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Leopard Mail: Can rename / delete old folders ...

Leopard Mail: Can rename / delete old folders ...
Samanoske
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2007, 08:04 PM

Since I upgraded to Leopard. I can not delete or rename Mail folders that are located on my Mac within Mail. Using the Terminal however, I can delete and rename, so I was wondering if anybody else has this problem ?

To test whether Mail was running as a different user, I fired up Activity Monitor and had a look and that's what I saw over there ...

Yes, it shows 16 Exa-Byte ... Guess somethin is going wrong ...
( Last edited by Samanoske; Nov 1, 2007 at 08:23 PM. )
.- OS X aDDICTED -.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2007, 08:21 PM

If you have Mail configured to open on login, its parent process could be launchd.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Samanoske  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2007, 08:25 PM

Isn't it always launched by launchd ?
.- OS X aDDICTED -.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2007, 10:42 PM

The parent process under Tiger is WindowServer.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2007, 12:17 AM

Within the terminal are you deleting/renaming as yourself, or via a sudo?

Samanoske  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2007, 09:11 AM

now that you mention it ... via sudo. However, when I create a new folder in Mail, which I can delete rename within mail and in the terminal it has the same permissions as the folder I can not delete. Well there is a small difference in permissions:

File I can delete: drwx------
File I can not : drwx------+

This + is new to me, maybe thats the reason why I need sudo. How can I get rid of it and what is it ?
.- OS X aDDICTED -.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2007, 09:27 AM

I don't know, I've never seen that before... Are you able to rename and delete folders within a new OS X Mail account?

Samanoske  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2007, 09:36 AM

Short explanations, these folders are "On my Mac". Ok here is what I did to get rid of the "+" and to make it editable within Mail and without sudo in the Terminal. I copied the files to somewhere, deleted the original "+" Files and copied it back. The copied files didn't have the "+" and I was able to rename, delete and all that like normal again. I would love to know what the "+" think in the permissions stands for ...

Thanks for you input, Ahoi
.- OS X aDDICTED -.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2007, 09:38 AM

Perhaps they are some unique Apple ACL thing? What do you see within the permissions section of your Get Info window for both directories?

Samanoske  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2007, 02:13 PM

The difference is that there is no "Group" entry in the folders with "+" flag. However, the folders/files keep the "+" flag even after I added a group ... Some files have "Custom" permission in everyone. sudo chmod -R 0770 * does not do the trick. Weird things going on here ...
.- OS X aDDICTED -.

Samanoske  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2007, 02:17 PM

ok ... I think I figured it, your ACL hint was right ... ls -le looks really promising

fsaclctl -p ~/ -d, just killed the ACL I think I might get it back going as it seems like a good thing in a multi user env.
( Last edited by Samanoske; Nov 2, 2007 at 02:53 PM. )
.- OS X aDDICTED -.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2007, 01:10 PM

I'm not sure exactly how Apple is actually using ACLs in the files it writes to the HD, but there have been some issues with the permissions used in 10.4. For instance, it was possibly to read the top level of people's home directories in Tiger. I hope that ACLs are used in a sane way in Leopard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules