Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office 2004 and PDF docs

Office 2004 and PDF docs
gulmatan
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2009, 09:58 PM

Hi there,

I know; there's the "Save as PDF" in the "Print" dialogue. But, is there a plug-in/add-on for Office 2004 that allows for some additional features?
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

ibook_steve
Feb 23, 2009, 01:22 AM

Umm...what features are you looking for?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2009, 02:23 AM

Hi,

I want to be able to create a feature-rich document which contains Tables Of Contents, Indices with FULL hyperlinks so that all someone needs to do is click on the TOC or Index page number and, boom, the doc jumps right there. I don't want just some half-baked view-only doc where the reader has to scroll through pages just to get where he needs to go.
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

ibook_steve
Feb 23, 2009, 03:58 AM

Have you done a search at Versiontracker?

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/qs...cosx&submit=Go

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2009, 07:00 AM

PDFs created using the print dialogue in OS X 10.5 preserves hyperlinks, so it should just work. If it doesn't then the problem is that Word is not doing what it is supposed to be doing. Quelle surprise!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2009, 09:24 AM

It's hardly a surprise that Word 2004 doesn't know what it has to do to preserve hyperlinks in Leopard of 2007.

gulmatan, you probably will have to get Adobe Acrobat.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2009, 10:08 AM

No, it is hardly a surprise that a Microsoft Office application uses a non-standard print dialogue that prevents it from inheriting something that is already system-wide. It shouldn't matter when an app was made for it to support this, if it was made properly in the first place. Regardless, Office 2008 suffers from this rubbish too and there is absolutely no excuse for that.
( Last edited by JKT; Feb 23, 2009 at 10:18 AM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2009, 10:28 AM

It's not something that could possibly simply be inherited. Obviously an application has to provide the link target for that to work. How did you do that in 2004 when there was no API available for that? In fact, I'm not even sure there's a public API for this today. I don't see it anyway. The only applications that do this are Safari and iWork. TextEdit doesn't do it, so it's not like simply using a standard NSTextView magically gets you this feature.
( Last edited by TETENAL; Feb 23, 2009 at 11:44 AM. )

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2009, 11:24 AM

Hmmm, I stand corrected. It works from Mail, OmniWeb and Pages so I had assumed it worked everywhere else too. But you are right, it doesn't. I guess I haven't been straying far enough from a WebKit/Apple application world to have noticed that other apps (including ones from Apple) don't do this. My apologies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules