Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iOS 7 - Who's waiting and who can't wait?

iOS 7 - Who's waiting and who can't wait? (Page 3)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2013, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
so this seems to be a pretty big security gaff:
It's not. Turning off the iPhone will do the same thing. Or letting it run out of battery. It's just the way it is. There is no 100% tamper-proof way to allow Find My iPhone to work.

Ultimately, being in Airplane Mode, the iPhone is mostly useless.
Since you can't reset the iPhone anymore w/o Apple ID and password, so there's still a safety factor that can't be circumvented.

-t

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
What sucks about this whole thing is I'd call that a downward swipe.
Sorry, my bad. I was going by memory and was wrong - you're right that it's a quick downward swipe.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2013, 08:51 PM

Late to the game w/ iOS 7. First impressions? Windows 95 wants their clip art back.

Next up, green screen.
ebuddy

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 19, 2013, 09:03 PM

iPhone and iPad updated. Pretty good so far.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2013, 10:38 PM

My mom called me today and asked if she could roll back. She doesn't like iOS 7.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Sorry, my bad. I was going by memory and was wrong - you're right that it's a quick downward swipe.
But you're swiping the screen up, so it's still confusing.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 12:36 AM

It's basically like going backwards.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2013, 10:27 AM

Battery drain is definitely an issue. In just over 2 hours my iPhone 5 has gone from 100% to 73%. All I've done is about 5 minutes of browsing and listened to iTunes Radio for about 10 minutes (all over WiFi).

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2013, 11:53 AM

I had initial drain like that right after the install. I noticed the multitasking switcher had all my previous open apps in the list. I closed all, to start fresh. I can only speculate it was overloading background refresh or something like that, as the battery drain has gone back to normal. I did this on both an iPhone 5 and and iPad 4. It may help, give it a try.

Or it could be the new iOS is done a bunch of things right after an install and it adjusts to normal after a few hours.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 20, 2013, 12:11 PM

Really liking it so far on the iPhone for web browsing, texting, and calling. Wife likes that Messages will now display previous messages with a contact before sending a new message.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2013, 12:41 PM

But you're swiping the screen up, so it's still confusing.
True. Probably the reason I remembered it incorrectly.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2013, 12:52 PM

I am also very pleased that when launching Messages, it shows the last viewed message. previously, if you had one unread message, it would automatically open that message.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2013, 01:19 PM

I like being able to swipe a notification in the lock screen to go to that app/item.

P
Sep 20, 2013, 01:34 PM

You could do that on iOS 6, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2013, 02:13 PM

The multi-tasking is way better. I love control center, but wish it had a button for hotspot. I'm getting used to all the white.

All of the animations take too long, I particularly dislike the delay when unlocking and locking your phone. My sleep/wake button id already a little mushy and wonky, and I never feel like I'm hitting it hard enough. The fade-to-black effect the added makes it feel more broken than it already is.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2013, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The multi-tasking is way better. I love control center, but wish it had a button for hotspot.
I yearn for this as well.

All of the animations take too long, I particularly dislike the delay when unlocking and locking your phone.
I was a bit annoyed by this too, but even though there is a fade-in to the lockscreen, it accepts touch input right away, so swiping quickly after pressing the unlock button still unlocks it.

My gripe is with how long it takes for the icons to fall on the homescreen after passcode entry.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 06:06 PM

The sluggishness is unquestionable. I've noticed a vast increase in:

Tap.
Nothing.
Tap again.
Oh wait... I registered that first tap, I'm just dog slow.
I've also buffered that second tap for you. Welcome to a place you had no intention of going.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 08:53 PM

The sluggishness is unquestionable. I've noticed a vast increase in:

Tap.
Nothing.
Tap again.
Oh wait... I registered that first tap, I'm just dog slow.
I've also buffered that second tap for you. Welcome to a place you had no intention of going.
Hmm, I haven't experienced that. But I'm on an iPhone 5.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 08:56 PM

Me too.

I'm also getting type lag sometimes in Safari. Like right here in this forum.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 08:57 PM

What app was that ? What were you doing ?

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 09:02 PM

Safari on both counts.

Clicking links or typing.

Cold Warrior
Sep 21, 2013, 07:54 AM

I don't get that either on my 5. I had some sluggishness in menus, scrolling, and typing, but a reboot helped and then I also killed whatever apps I had running. Since then (three days) things have been good. I'll put it on an ipad 2 probably later today.

P
Sep 21, 2013, 08:27 AM

My experience on an iPad mini has so far been all positive.

The typing thing seems to be a bug. There are reports that If you go into Settings -> iCloud and disable Documents and Data, it fixes the issue, and you can then re-enable Documents and Data. I don't see the bug personally, however.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2013, 02:26 PM

Checkout out a 5S running iOS7 today. I like the multitasking and the folders, and the OS "moves/flows" well. The notifications need to be improved. However I just can't get over the colors in the OS. It's just too saturated and gradient-y. I don't see myself enjoying the device because of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2013, 02:36 PM

You get over it.

I'd say the real issue is it takes more effort to make the "finder" look pleasing.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2013, 02:56 PM

Somebody over on the ars forums pointed out that the System settings icon looks like the Sarlacc pit from RotJ.

I am now completely reconciled with the icon, as I have to smile every time I see it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2013, 10:33 PM

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2013, 10:44 PM

My 4 year old said...

Dad, whats this, did you get a new phone? Where is Plants vs Zombies? Oh here it is, I found it.

That was the entirety of his review.
( Last edited by ort888; Sep 22, 2013 at 11:30 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2013, 07:53 AM

Is there any workaround over having more than 9 icons in a folder? On an iPad, it's a ludicrous waste of screen real estate. We've got 11 apps in one folder and it's completely stupid to have to scroll across for the last two.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2013, 10:16 AM

Yeah, folders need some work. I like that you can now put as much as you want in there, and I don't mind scrolling, but 9 on a page is pretty dumb.

Personally, I'm sick of folder icons being a tiny grid of icons. I would love to be able to customize how they look.

The third page on my iPhone is just a wall of folders, and it looks like complete crap.

P
Sep 23, 2013, 10:18 AM

Nope, nothing yet. That sounds like an obvious 7.1 feature, though - increasing it to 16 or something.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2013, 10:42 AM

We asked ourselves. What is a folder? Should there be limits? No, folders want to be free. When you step back and look at the problem, it all becomes obvious. If there is a folder on your desk, can you only put 9 items in it? No.

Every detail has been considers and we're tremendously proud of what we were able to accomplish. Something that's ever been done before. That's why in iOS 8, we've expanded folders. Improved on the essence of a folder. 16 items per page. Amazing.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2013, 11:24 AM

I did the upgrade on iPad and iPhone day one. Did the iPad first to test the waters and everything was great. Started the iPhone and half way through updating it crapped out on me and I had to restore from my iCloud back up, which I've never done. Only thing I seem to be missing is Awesome Baby Names, the GBA emulator.

As far as features, like most, I love Control Center. Was glad to delete my flashlight app. I have a problem with the new Calendar though. Previously, month view was exactly what I needed to plan my days, as events were organized in a list. Now, events are placed on a timeline so much scrolling is required to see the entire day.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Is there any workaround over having more than 9 icons in a folder? On an iPad, it's a ludicrous waste of screen real estate. We've got 11 apps in one folder and it's completely stupid to have to scroll across for the last two.
I never appreciated Apple's choice for spacing things out. All that real estate with those gigantic icons but no options to adjust the grid or icon size... that's a shame.

I'm not going to upgrade my 4S with iOS 7, but I won't have much of a choice when I get new phones in a week or two. Along with Siri (at least until I can replace the voice with one from a chain-smoking middle-aged woman from Queens), I'll be turning all the candy off too - or as much of it as I could. Of course, that's after I play with it for a few days.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2013, 11:32 AM

We asked ourselves. What is a folder? Should there be limits? No, folders want to be free. When you step back and look at the problem, it all becomes obvious. If there is a folder on your desk, can you only put 9 items in it? No.

Every detail has been considers and we're tremendously proud of what we were able to accomplish. Something that's ever been done before. That's why in iOS 8, we've expanded folders. Improved on the essence of a folder. 16 items per page. Amazing.

iOS9 will feature beveled 3D looking icons.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2013, 04:53 PM

What bothers me the most about iOS 7 is its flatness and loud colors. If you asked the System 7 design team about how icons should be, they'd tell you this is NOT what icons should be designed like. These designs are loud, and they're 2D. Icons are supposed to convey an idea without being in your face.

Someone screwed up.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2013, 05:10 PM

Still getting type lag, even after a reboot.

I refuse to kill my background apps. If I need a task manager, they blew it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2013, 05:22 PM

Did you kill all apps at least once ?

-t

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2013, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
I did the upgrade on iPad and iPhone day one. Did the iPad first to test the waters and everything was great. Started the iPhone and half way through updating it crapped out on me and I had to restore from my iCloud back up, which I've never done. Only thing I seem to be missing is Awesome Baby Names, the GBA emulator.

As far as features, like most, I love Control Center. Was glad to delete my flashlight app. I have a problem with the new Calendar though. Previously, month view was exactly what I needed to plan my days, as events were organized in a list. Now, events are placed on a timeline so much scrolling is required to see the entire day.
Try tapping the Magnifying Glass in the upper right; the List view is there now.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2013, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
However I just can't get over the colors in the OS. It's just too saturated and gradient-y.
Hey now, you simply cannot get too gradient-y.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2013, 03:10 PM

Titty sprinkles.
Brilliant.

I apologize, but once I realized it was happening I couldn't resist a slight modification.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2013, 03:25 PM

It would be so awesome if Jony Ive had a sense of humor and put out his own Jony Ive in heaven parody video.

He seems so freaking serious all the time.

P
Sep 24, 2013, 03:55 PM

He's not comfortable in the limelight, so I think he focuses on being professional and getting through the task.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2013, 04:03 PM

The question on some TWiT show (I forget which one) was does "Sir Jony" talk like that when he's ********d.

We can all imagine what Steve was like ********d without much effort.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2013, 04:08 PM

Apparently "shit", as in "censorship should eat shit" is okay.

Shit faced?

Think of the children!

mindwaves
Sep 25, 2013, 02:56 AM

I agree that 9 apps in one folder view is ridiculous for iPad users. Both my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 experience slight lag compared to iOS 6, with some stuff being ever so slightly faster, but overall slower.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2013, 09:25 AM

It would be so awesome if Jony Ive had a sense of humor and put out his own Jony Ive in heaven parody video.

He seems so freaking serious all the time.
He'd probably be a serial killer if he didn't have a job at Apple.
( Last edited by osiris; Sep 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2013, 10:06 AM

Some Podcast I was just listening to was talking about how Jony Ive was on a pub crawl in Ireland with Bono and that was when they came up with the idea for the red and black U2 iPod.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2013, 01:10 PM

I think we were listening to the same podcast, you just remember it better.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2013, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
Try tapping the Magnifying Glass in the upper right; the List view is there now.
Thanks! Seems a little out of place, but that is what I'm looking for.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules