Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo auto-opens CD drive when booting

Pismo auto-opens CD drive when booting
redandwhites
Aug 17, 2001, 01:11 AM

Hiho,

This might have been asked before but searching this forum results in 'time outs' so sorry if we've been here before with this one!

When I boot, my CD drive pops open. Why?

Recently I upgraded the firmware, so I guess it relates to this.

I used Apple Software Update to check I'm not missing something, and since last using it (about 3-4ish weeks ago when I did my firmware upgrade) now it tells me I need to update to Apple DVD Player 2.7 and Apple DVD Player Z1-2.7, and Disc Burner Z1-1.0.1 - the problem here is I dunno why Apple DVD Player is listed twice but it is, I'm not in the USA so which one is for me - and is this a fix for the problem I am experiencing or something totally different???

What do I do to stop my CD/DVD drive popping open every time I boot?

I'm a G3 500 with Mac OS 91, 640Mb Ram. Apple System Profiler isn't spitting out my Firmware version but my ROM Version is $77D.45F6 and Boot Rom version is $00418f5

Thanks in advance, John.

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2001, 09:41 AM

Do you have a USB or Firewire peripheral plugged in when booting?
That might be the problem.

redandwhites  (op)
Aug 17, 2001, 05:03 PM

Hi there,

The problem exists if a Firewire device is connected or not, at the time of booting.

Booting with no USB/Firewire devices connected, including the mouse, makes no difference.

Eeek!

Atomic Beat Boy
Aug 17, 2001, 05:47 PM

Macintoshes eject removable disks if you start up with the mouse button held down. Seeing as you mention an external mouse, can you check the built-in one is working properly (ie non stuck down)?

redandwhites  (op)
Aug 18, 2001, 04:18 AM

I experience my problem without the external USB mouse even attached, ie no external devices USB, Firewire or other.

My period key > . < appears to be more prone to the forces of gravity and stuck down, but not a biggy, would this relate to the problem? It's not depressed enough to constantly pass a period character to MacOS, but does require extra attention everytime you need to type a full stop. There's one there. There's another one...

When I boot up, the CD/DVD drive pops open before the screen has actually fully lite up, so I am really stuck on what the cause is.

I need help, I can't have my cd drive popping open all the time, I mean the whole reason that I got an Apple was to get away from these PC nightmares!

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

John

Atomic Beat Boy
Aug 18, 2001, 01:29 PM

Alright, what about the eject button on the drive? In particular the paper clip emergency eject whole - try sticking a paper clip in it to loosen it. If it's happening immediately it's certainly a hardware fault. The only other option is a faulty connection between the drive and computer, or a more serious hardware fault - Does the drive work properly?

redandwhites  (op)
Aug 18, 2001, 05:59 PM

Hi Atomic Beat Boy - thanks for your feedback!

I can't see that the eject button is stuck, then again I can't see that it isn't either! I had a wiggle and a jiggle and all seems well.

BTWl; I don't think the eject button is constantly "on", this seems to be supported because when my desktop is up, and I close the drive, it doesn't "auto eject" again which I would expect if the eject button is stuck in, unless I'm missing something.

The drive runs fine with CDs, I havn't got any DVDs around to try them out but don't use my Pismo for DVDs anyway.

I was reading @
http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/sh...sb=5&o=7&part=

a rather disturbing post "Pismo DVD Problems", which my problem might/might not be related to. I recently had additional RAM installed, this might be the cause, power related perhaps, I dunno, the memory installed FULLY complies with Apple requirements TOTALLY, considering the Pismo can handle up to 1Gb of Ram before power becomes an issue I'm undecided if the above post relates to the problem I'm having.

Maybe I should have purchased the Sony instead of Apple, sure as hell would have had less trips to the Apple store....

Eeek!

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2001, 01:35 AM

I would suggest zapping the P-RAM on startup, then a rebuild of the desktop file, irrespective of whether the tray then opens up or not.

Which 'apple store' are you using in NZ, BTW?

redandwhites  (op)
Aug 19, 2001, 06:21 PM

Hi there,

I'll zap the pram 2nite when I get home, I've had enough with Apple.

My local Apple reseller (http://www.magnummac.co.nz) has never really come through for me,I'm not bitter, I just expected more.....

Last time they upgraded my Ram. The first thing I did when I got the Pismo home was Apple System Profile to make sure they did what they billed me for. AOK. The next thing I did was 1) Put the Sim City CD in the tray and closed it, the CD mounted on the desktop, then I ran Sim City 3000 from my HD. It wouldn't run, it told me that files were missing. I trashed Sim City off of my HD and reinstalled it, still won't run, I get an error saying "essential files not found" but when I run the game directly from the CD and not the HD it runs ok, slowly, but ok. Weird.

From experience with www.magnummac.co.nz, going to a local Apple Reseller really is THE LAST THING I like doing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules