Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > small dog ( good place to buy?)

small dog ( good place to buy?)
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2003, 09:06 PM

Is small dog a good place to buy an apple computer from?

I have bought from mac mall and macconnection before and they are good.

I assume most of the apple resellers are pretty legit.

sorry if this is the wrong forum.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 09:10 PM

They're an excellent reseller...I've only heard positive comments about them. Lots of ppl snagged closeout Dual 1.42s from there w/ great success.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2003, 09:22 PM

Wel that's good to know. See i'm on there right now and their website isn't that great because the title of the link specs, don't match up with the actually item.

It says 1ghz 512/80/SD and you click on it and it says 256 of ram and only a 60 harddrive.

which makes sense, since those are the factory defaults that would be with that system, but just disconcerning that they put the titles that way.

It almost seems delibrate. You click to buy it and later you find out, that it wasn't what they said.

It just confuses me.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2003, 09:53 PM

They have one sales guy that I cannot stand, he's smug and rude - at least to me.

I bought a refurb Power Mac there, and it arrived with fingerprints all over it and smudges. The keyboard was clearly in used condition, full of crumbs and other gunk.

If there is an advantage to buying from them, I don't know what it is.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 10:06 PM

Smalldog kicks ass, and they send you little plastic doggies with each order. No kiddin.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2003, 11:30 PM

I don't get Smalldog, you can't buy a Mac from them unless you've purchased one in the past.
Does this make any sense to anyone?

rstevens
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 01:24 AM

i've done very well with them in the past.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 08:08 AM

One purchase from Smalldog. No problems. Refurbed DP800 was like new.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 08:43 AM

I don't understand the politics, but somehow "joining" by buying something (anything, i guess) gives you option to get discounts that they seemingly are not allowed to offer to "general public").

Also, FWIW, they are only place I've seen offering Panther with a discount of more than 99�.

Panther: $119 (+shipping / no tax )

One other advantage: they are one of the few extensive outlets not owned by a huge corporation (like the catalog sites).

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 10:56 AM

Definitely...support the underdog (no pun intended, honest!)

They're a great smaller reseller that'll assure you more person-to-person support if you do have issues with your purchase.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 03:48 PM

Not to be all RAH RAH Vermont business... But they also do lots of charity work for the local community, and are active supporters of Vermont Public Radio. The shop is just up the road from me.

jclarkv
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 04:46 PM

I bought a refurbished iMac from Small Dog and it was like new. I've since ordered several computers (okay, 9) and have been very impressed all around.

My wife encourages me to buy there because she likes the small toy dogs that come with each order.

ourisman
Oct 21, 2003, 05:08 PM

I got a refurbished 15" iMac for my daughter. It was absolutely *like new*. I am totally satisfied with my experience with Small Dog.

cowerd
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 05:32 PM

I don't get Smalldog, you can't buy a Mac from them unless you've purchased one in the past.
Apple rules for allowing them to do mail order/web sales. If you purchased from them at their birck-and-mortar location you are an existing customer and can purchase on-line.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by striker100:
Smalldog is not authorized by Apple to be an online retailer of new, "in line" products. They would like to be, but apparently they are not large enough for Apple to agree. Thus they can sell used/refurbs to anybody, and can sell new to only "pre-existing" customers. That's the official line, I'm sure there's lots of wiggle room, ie. order a cable and now you're a pre-existing customer! They also have a return policy, which puts them ahead of most Apple resellers.....

drloomis
Oct 22, 2003, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Starry Night:
Smalldog is not authorized by Apple to be an online retailer of new, "in line" products. They would like to be, but apparently they are not large enough for Apple to agree. Thus they can sell used/refurbs to anybody, and can sell new to only "pre-existing" customers. That's the official line, I'm sure there's lots of wiggle room, ie. order a cable and now you're a pre-existing customer! They also have a return policy, which puts them ahead of most Apple resellers.....
From what I read they can sell NEW systems of discontiuned systems, which I think means you can buy any of the G4's since we have moved on to the G5's, but then again the G4 are still on the apple store, but they have stopped production.

Question--

they have the oddest configurations over there. It says NO MODEM. How can the machine have no modem, isn't it built in?

They have good deals and I've had good experiences with the other VT dealer, VT Bear, so I'm up for trying them out.

Thanks for any info.
--------------------
I shot him six times!

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by drloomis:
From what I read they can sell NEW systems of discontiuned systems, which I think means you can buy any of the G4's since we have moved on to the G5's, but then again the G4 are still on the apple store, but they have stopped production.

Question--

they have the oddest configurations over there. It says NO MODEM. How can the machine have no modem, isn't it built in?

They have good deals and I've had good experiences with the other VT dealer, VT Bear, so I'm up for trying them out.

Thanks for any info.
I believe they can't sell new "in-line" systems to non-pre-existing customers. By "in line", I think they mean the latest new systems that Apple is currently selling. That would include the G5's, latest PM G4's, latest imacs, etc. However, I bet if you just call and order one they may turn a blind eye..... Smalldog has a very loyal customer base....

MacBliss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: 3rd moon of Alderan, Synaan system, free of any Imperial influence. Long live the rebellion!
Oct 22, 2003, 02:46 PM

I have just bought my G5 Dualie and 20" Cinema display from them 3 weeks ago. It was the very first time I had dealt with them and was very pleasantly surprised. Service was courteous and prompt. They had the lowest shipping cost I could find online and didn't charge taxes to CA.

The stupid rule Apple imposes on them as far as selling brand new equipment only to current customers is easily circumvented. Just buy a USB cable from them (which I needed anyway) and that automatically make you a "pre-existing customer".

I was attracted by their outlet because of their reputation and the fact that they are not a huge corporation. I also appreciated their involvement in numerous charities, which in the end was the deciding factor for me.

I would recommend them highly and will certainly purchase from them again. Good luck.
JM - "Got Mac?"

awcopus
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 02:56 PM

Another vote for SmallDog. Got my 1.4 duallie from them very promptly, and they do indeed include little plastic doggies with the order.

Love'm. Will buy all future Macs from them.

SF_VR6
Oct 22, 2003, 03:19 PM

They are the web's cutest Apple reseller site.

all look-at-them-doggies, makes me want a G5 now.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2003, 07:16 PM

I see a growing venture here.

SmallHamster.com for PC sales.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 08:04 PM

i picked up a 600mhz ibook from them about a year ago and was really happy with it. their prices and service are great imho.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Forum Links
Forum Rules