Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > networking and router problems in 10.3

networking and router problems in 10.3
rstevens
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 04:18 PM

i'm running a G4 dp 1.25 with os x 10.3 and connecting to my cable modem through my Airport Extreme base station. i'm using the ethernet port to connect most of the time.

the problem is that a few times a day, my internet totally dies and can only be re-connected if i either reboot the computer or the base station.

i am also losing the ability to connect to wireless networks (there are 2 in my building) when my wired network connectivity dies.

any thoughts?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 04:29 PM

You mentioned router problems, but what kind do you have, a Linksys?
My several Macs have been disconnected twice in the last 2 weeks since running 7B85 when I wake up a laptop. I can no longer ping anything and it requires unplugging the router and modem for several minutes and then it will start working again.
This has never happened during the several months of testing Panther.
It only seems to occur when running a certain application on the laptop which was connected at the time I put the laptop to sleep.
I cannot reliably reproduce it, but it is certainly triggered when waking the laptop up.

rstevens  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 04:35 PM

it's an Airport Extreme base station. (the apple kind)

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 04:36 PM

Sorry, my bad. I don't think of that as a router, but it is.

rstevens  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 04:40 PM

no worries - you're tryin' to help.

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 05:26 PM

This discussion:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

may be helpful:

Panther is losing a supplied DHCP address

Mac OS X v. 10.3 � Panther � is a rock-solid, easy to use operating system that provides you with innovative network features.

Under some very rare circumstances, it may "lose" the DHCP address that your AirPort base station is attributing to your computer.

However, don't worry ! This minor "issue" is really easy to fix and this FAQ tries provides you with step-by-step instructions.

Indeed, the easiest way to solve it is to uncheck the "Distribute IP addresses" in the AirPort Base Station.

In order to do so, follow these steps :

Disconnect the AirPort base station from your Local Area Network and connect it directly to your Mac by using an Ethernet cable. Note that you should plug the cable into the "LAN" port of the base station. There is a small logo that looks like an arrow right next to it.

Launch the "AirPort Admin Utility", located in your "Utilities" folder.

Select the base station in the list that appears and click on "Configure". You will be asked to enter the base station password.

Click on the "Show all settings button"

Click on the "Network" tab

Uncheck "Distribute IP addresses

Click on the "Update" button to upload your new settings to the AirPort base station

You can now reconnect the AirPort base station to your network, as it was before

Note that you will not lose any functionality on your network. Indeed, for this "issue" to occur, another device must already be distributing the IP addresses. This is just a matter of how the network is set up.

Troubleshooting tip :

In some cases, the AirPort base station may not appear in the AirPort Utility. This is however very easy to solve.

Indeed, this just means that the "Network" port has been disabled in the "Network" preferences pane, available through the "System Preferences" application.

Just open it and use the "Show" pop-up menu to see the "Network Port Configuration". Then, uncheck "AirPort" and check "Built-In Ethernet". Click on "Apple Now" to save your settings.

Once you have changed the settings of the base station, follow the same steps to revert to your original configuration.

Forum Links
Forum Rules