Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > F7

F7
gif32
Nov 12, 2003, 09:53 PM

What exactly does the F7 key on a PowerBook do? I can't for the life of me figure out the icon, and it sure doesn't do anything when I press it. The window-like icon would make it a perfect expos� candidate, but I know it's mapped to some system-level function because it doesn't work as an F7 without holding "fn."

It's a real bummer if it doesn't do anything, because shift-f7 (thesaurus) is my most common keyboard shortcut in Word, but it takes three buttons on a PowerBook.

Sorry if this silly question has been answered before, but the forum won't let you search for anything shorter than 3 letters!

-gif

Thumannator
Nov 12, 2003, 10:08 PM

That symbol is I believe for switching between mirroring on a second monitor and using the monitor as extra desktop space. So, if you don't have an extra monitor hooked up, it's not gonna do anything when you press it.

As for using F7 without also pushing the fn key, I think there is an option in system prefs to possibly disable it's default behavior. If not there, then I think there is some shareware app that can do this. Seems I heard something about that long ago, but I cannot remember the name of it.

Guess I only partially helped. I'm not feeling so well, so I'm only partially thinking at the moment. Hope it helped a little.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 12, 2003, 10:57 PM

It toggles mirroring/monitor spanning.

It cannot be changed to require the Fn key from within the OS-- there is a shareware program, but I dunno if it's been updated for Panther.

tooki

markmentovai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
It cannot be changed to require the Fn key from within the OS-- there is a shareware program, but I dunno if it's been updated for Panther.
The utility is uControl, http://www.gnufoo.org/ucontrol/, and it has been updated for Panther. You're interested in the "Real Function Keys" feature. Unfortunately, the setting gets turned off when the PowerBook goes to sleep. The developers are aware of the bug and it should be fixed with the next release.

Mark

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 13, 2003, 01:05 AM

(OK, I thought I had heard there was still some problem with it on Panther.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules