Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > weird shut down message

weird shut down message
Thumannator
Dec 8, 2003, 02:53 PM

I was working on my powerbook one evening, and suddenly I encountered a message to shut down. I had just been running iBlog, and I believe it was when I tried to quit that the "bad stuff" happened. Sort of like a window-shade effect, starting from the top and going down to the bottom, everything got dimmer in color, and then in the middle of the screen, a message popped up that said my computer needed to be restarted and to hold down the power button for several seconds. The message was in 3 languages. And the message wasn't in a traditional "error" Finder window, it was just over my desktop in an even more dimly colored rectangle. The text was white.

I am running 10.3.1. Never seen anything like this. Has anyone else?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 03:12 PM

It was a kernel crash! Very rare (LOL)..... really doesn't happen too often on X.3.1

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2003, 03:24 PM

That looks a lot like a kernel panic, but kernel panics are usually black text on white, not white text on black (unless they've changed this again in Panther).

Do you run any third-party hacks or hardware? It's possible that one of these might be causing the problem.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2003, 03:55 PM

Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Thumannator  (op)
Dec 8, 2003, 04:16 PM

That's the same text alright. The colors were essentially reversed though. It was definitely white text on a transparent black background.

Not running any third party stuff other than TinkerTool. I think I had also just stopped Classic when this happened. In fact, now that I think about it some more (this was like 4 days ago), iBlog was the only app left running, but I think I just went into System Prefs and told Classic to stop running, and then I got the message.

Wow, my very first kernel panic! I've heard so much about them, but never seen one happen. I don't know whether to be concerned or excited.

Thanks for educating me.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Thumannator:
... Not running any third party stuff other than TinkerTool. ...
It's entirely possible that TinkerTool could cause a kernel panic. I say this because it caused kernel panics on previous versions of OS X on my Macs. I removed it and never saw another panic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules