Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Help with 2 cli's

Help with 2 cli's
Sebastian
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 02:03 PM

new guy at this, need some help. downloaded the cli, duplicated it - left one instance of it unchanged, renamed the second instance (both it's folder and the application). when i try to launch the second instance of it, terminal errors that it couldn't get a lock file becuse anothe rinstance of seti's running in this directory. when i move the renamed folder to other areas (say, from the desktop where the first instance resides, move the second instance to the applications folder) i get the same message.

gah.

what'm i doing wrong?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 14, 2003, 02:50 PM

With the SETI CLI, you do not need to rename the application, just the folder. Stop SETI, then go into each folder and delete the files lock.sah and work_unit.sah. Then 'cd' a terminal into each folder and relaunch SETI.

This should work. But if it doesn't, delete the 2nd SETI folder and expand the download archive a 2nd time to create a blank 2nd folder. If you do this, you will need to reenter your personal/team info again, but it will definitely work.

Sebastian  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by reader50:
With the SETI CLI, you do not need to rename the application, just the folder. Stop SETI, then go into each folder and delete the files lock.sah and work_unit.sah. Then 'cd' a terminal into each folder and relaunch SETI.

This should work. But if it doesn't, delete the 2nd SETI folder and expand the download archive a 2nd time to create a blank 2nd folder. If you do this, you will need to reenter your personal/team info again, but it will definitely work.
Thanks mate - remember, when i said i'm new at this, i meant it 8-) . what do you mean by cd a terminal into each folder?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 14, 2003, 06:20 PM

Detailed CLI install and running instructions here. You can get further instructions for setting up two CLI clients here. Don't trust the download links on those pages, it's been a while since I last updated them. Otherwise, the info is good.

If you still have problems, please give us more info. I'm not clear on how you can launch the CLI version without using the Terminal, unless you are using a utility like SETI Dockling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules