Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Keyboard line out

Keyboard line out
Sebastian
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2004, 03:28 PM

I've got an older keyboard that i'd like to hook up to my dual 2 g5 to play with garageband. The keyboard has midi out and what looks to be a 1/4" phono jack. Can i simply get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and directly connect to the mac, and all will be well with the world?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2004, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Sebastian:
I've got an older keyboard that i'd like to hook up to my dual 2 g5 to play with garageband. The keyboard has midi out and what looks to be a 1/4" phono jack. Can i simply get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and directly connect to the mac, and all will be well with the world?
Yes.

However, you will be limited to the keyboard's internal sounds.

If you want to play the virtual instruments that come with GarageBand, you need to hook the 'board up as a MIDI master keyboard. A simple USB MIDI interface such as the m-Audio midisport Uno (definitely "uno", not sure if the little one's a "midisport" as well, but should be easy to find) will do for about $30 or so.

-s*

Sebastian  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 07:05 AM

Thanks, will give it a sh ot. My father in law is a pipe organ builder/repairman (thought it interesting to mention given your nic, and i'm originally from st paul - small world 8-) )

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 08:05 AM

this size could mean a headphone plug in - be careful with rising the volume on your keyboard! it could blow away the sound-in of your computer.

you will probably recognise a very distorted sound...- i would prefer the mentioned midi thing, the sounds in garage band/jam pack are terrific...- for a consumer like me...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2004, 05:20 AM

My father in law is a pipe organ builder/repairman (thought it interesting to mention given your nic, and i'm originally from st paul - small world 8-) )
I confess to never having played a pipe organ - I do the Hammond thing.

(And that's St. Pauli, the red-light district in Hamburg, as opposed to Minnesota... )

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules