Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > lost firewire on my dual 2

lost firewire on my dual 2
Sebastian
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2004, 08:17 PM

strange events today. started with my 2g ipod simply not working anymore. as i was going through trouble shooting, i noticed that my external fw drives weren't mounting. firing up tech tool and system profiler revealed that there's no fw information available. seems my firewire ability is shot - any ideas as to why this might have happened? might it have anything to do with the sudden death of my ipod?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2004, 01:07 PM

If a reboot and FW cable-swapping doesn't help, its probably time to use that Apple 1yr warranty.

Actually, if you have another Mac available to you, try powering up the G5 in to FireWire target disk mode. If you can mount the G5 on another Mac, then the G5's FW port(s) are at least functional. If not, then back to line 1.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Sebastian:
strange events today. started with my 2g ipod simply not working anymore. as i was going through trouble shooting, i noticed that my external fw drives weren't mounting. firing up tech tool and system profiler revealed that there's no fw information available. seems my firewire ability is shot - any ideas as to why this might have happened? might it have anything to do with the sudden death of my ipod?
Your iPod may not have actually died. Definitely let your local repair center replace the logic board before your warranty expires; also, you might want to look into the AppleCare.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

rhansen_x
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 04:15 PM

I am having the same sort of problem on my dual 2 Ghz. The firewire on the front of the box does nothing, if I plug into the port on the back, all is well. The G5 diagnostic tools showed the motherboard to be fine.
Forget the curveball Rickey, give 'im the heater.

Forum Links
Forum Rules