Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The Best Automatic Backup Software

The Best Automatic Backup Software
quiklee
Senior User
Mar 20, 2007, 07:33 PM

So, I just had to get my original Macbook replaced with a new Black Macbook. The problem is that I never got a chance to backup my original macbook and now want to get into the habit of backing up files just incase anything ever happens.

So far, I've read that ChronoSync is the best. Also, should I just wait until Leopard comes out with the Time Machine Backup App that Jobs showed off at MacWorld?

Input would be appreciated. Thanks!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 20, 2007, 08:40 PM

Application questions go in the Applications forum. Otherwise, I don't have a huge preference-I tend to use Disk Utility and an external drive-a BIG one.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2007, 09:59 PM

There is no "best", because there are so many differing needs....

Lots of different questions and variables to account for. Why not describe how your perfect backup system would work?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2007, 10:23 PM

I use Apple Backup and it's great with the one exception that you can't schedule full backups.

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 03:31 AM

SuperDuper! paired with DoSomethingWhen. Whenever I plug my firewire drive in, it starts up SD.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Mithras
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 06:07 AM

Many swear by SuperDuper Redirect

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2007, 01:30 AM

Are you backing up to CD? DVD? External HD? Online? That'll affect our recommendations.
iBackup is free. So is creating a burn folder with all the stuff you need to backup in there (in aliases, of course), if you're burning to CD. If you're worried about forgetting to backup, set reminder alarms in iCal.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2007, 01:47 AM

Been playing around with the Chronosync trial and it's definitely pretty powerful. I particular like the Finder-compatible versioning/archiving system it has when you sync a set of folders with changes.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2007, 04:44 AM

Every time I read a topic about backup software and I am gonna to advice about how good SuperDuper is, there are several guys that did it before… I wonder why !?

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 25, 2007, 05:18 AM

I heard good things about Super Duper for automated backups. My LaCie drive came with a couple of apps, Silver Surfer and Dick Warrior (something like that), but I deleted them. I prefer to do my backups and disk maintenance manually so I chose Drive Genius as it also does defragging, live partitioning, disk scanning, etc. How do developers come up with these names?
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Mar 25, 2007, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
There is no "best", because there are so many differing needs....
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

bighill
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2007, 09:29 AM

Another vote for Super Duper here! I think you can play with it a bit before you buy it. Try it, I love it.

badtz
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2007, 07:34 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't like Super Duper? :X

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2007, 08:43 PM

I use both Apple's Backup (I've got a .mac account) and SuperDuper.

Backup is good for easily restoring things like a blown away iCal or email box, and SuperDuper is good for full-volume backups, whole Apps folder, etc.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2007, 08:42 AM

de ja vu
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2007, 01:06 PM

Slightly OT, but does anyone have a recommendation for real-time backup? A couple of my PC-using friends have been crowing about Carbonite Online Backup. I don't need online backup but would like a solution that will instantly update the backup whenever I make changes and save a file. I guess Time Machine will solve the problem, but maybe there's something else that will work meanwhile.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2007, 01:15 PM

I use SilverKeeper - it's free, and you can schedule backups - there may be better, but this works well for me and the price is right.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Macola View Post
Slightly OT, but does anyone have a recommendation for real-time backup? A couple of my PC-using friends have been crowing about Carbonite Online Backup. I don't need online backup but would like a solution that will instantly update the backup whenever I make changes and save a file. I guess Time Machine will solve the problem, but maybe there's something else that will work meanwhile.
This can be done with some Unix know-how, but I'm not aware of any pointy/clicky tools...

The other disadvantage of this software/service is that your data exists on some company's computer, and the integrity of your backup is also dependent on the error checking and reporting, as well as the health of the company's servers. Would you be comfortable with this?

I"m also wondering whether it allows people to write to the same files simultaneously from multiple computers. If not, it probably works in some sort of checkout => lock file => check in sort of setup, which may require a change in behavior.

Very interesting approach to backup though!

This is why there is no "ultimate" backup tool, there are so many different designs that suit different purposes.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2007, 01:35 PM

Seriously just get De Ja Vu. it takes up no space and is very easy to use.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2007, 07:12 PM

I use SuperDuper on my MB and Apple's Backup on my Mac mini. SuperDuper works very well at whole volume backup. Backup works okay but tends to be a bit buggy. I have clients that use and really like SilverKeeper. Try 'em out and see which you like best.
Thinking of buying a new Mac? My free ebook might help.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
T
The other disadvantage of this software/service is that your data exists on some company's computer, and the integrity of your backup is also dependent on the error checking and reporting, as well as the health of the company's servers. Would you be comfortable with this?
My thoughts exactly. I have no need for online backup, but wouldn't mind a Carbonite-style app for backing up to a local disk. I guess I should just wait for Leopard and Time Machine. I'm curious about the Unix tools, though, so post a link to info if you have it.

@ frankthetank966: I have (and use) both Deja Vu and Silverkeeper, but neither does what I described in my earlier post.
( Last edited by Macola; Mar 27, 2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added info)
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules