Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > dying monitor?

dying monitor?
Thumannator
Sep 5, 2002, 05:42 PM

Hey folks, might have a problem brewing here. I am visiting with my brother, and looking at his rev. A iMac. It seems that the monitor is losing focus, and now the edges are getting a little discolored (like all green on the right edge, starting at the top and running down the edge maybe 3 inches or so). It was weird 'cause I was working on the iMac, and then all of a sudden, there was a flicker, and the edge was out of focus and discolored somewhat.

I know that I have heard that these computers tend to lose their A/V board. I cannot recall from past posts I've read, but are these symptoms that the A/V board is going?

I have tried switching resolutions, but it did not help.

Thanks for you help.

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2002, 01:14 AM

*bump*

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 18, 2002, 05:00 PM

Yes, these machines tend to lose their A/V boards. This is definitely a monitor problem. Could be the tube, could be the boards. In either case, if you really can't stand it, buy a 17" monitor and a Griffin MacPnP ($12 Macsales.com) and use that instead of the internal monitor- you'll get better resolutions, a larger screen, and it bypasses any problems present with the internal monitor.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2002, 08:59 PM

Just in case.

Move the iMac to a totally differnet area. Any kind of magnetic resonance can throw off a monitor. Being near an elevator. A large peice of metal will sometimes throw them off. Once a monitor was near a wall that made it go all rainbow like for no apparent reason. Never did figure out what that wall was doing, but moving the monitor made it go away. Putting it back made it come back.

jckalen
Senior User
Oct 6, 2002, 09:29 AM

It does sound like magnetic interference. Make sure if you have external speakers that they are shielded - or move them away from the monitor. If there are no magnets around then it probably is a hardware problem.
It looks just like a telefunken' U-47 - Zappa

Forum Links
Forum Rules