Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod to power outdoor music system

iPod to power outdoor music system
Sebastian
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2011, 08:24 AM

Looking for feedback from anyone who has done this. Currently, i've got wired speakers running inside to a sound system. Which works great, jsut means if i want to change anything, i need to go inside. What i'd like to have are a decent set of sp eakers that can remain outside, and i simply plug an ipod into them to feed them music. i don't want to mess with batteries in the speakers. I do have power outside, so i can plug the speakers into an outlet to power them if such a thing exists.

Any thoughts?

andi*pandi
Aug 28, 2011, 09:32 AM

I looked into this once and saw lots of options, mostly wireless. I even recall a set that looked like rocks ?!

TIC Corporation WRS010 SL Outdoor Wireless Rock Speakers - 5 Drivers, 100-Watt, Pair, Natural Slate Rock Finish, (Gray) at TigerDirect.com

Sebastian  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2011, 12:50 PM

I'd come to the same conclusion - almost everything is wireless and requires batteries. I'm not opposed to wireless, however i am opposed to managing changing batteries constantly. I want it to work 100%, all the time, every time - which means it'll need to be powered via a hard line. I refuse to believe i'm the only one who desires this 8-) i did find some powered systems, but were > $1000. I'm still in the camp of 'i'm just not looking hard enough" or "just not looking in the right places" 8-)

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
I'd come to the same conclusion - almost everything is wireless and requires batteries. I'm not opposed to wireless, however i am opposed to managing changing batteries constantly. I want it to work 100%, all the time, every time - which means it'll need to be powered via a hard line. I refuse to believe i'm the only one who desires this 8-) i did find some powered systems, but were > $1000. I'm still in the camp of 'i'm just not looking hard enough" or "just not looking in the right places" 8-)
Keep in mind that the ability to stream audio wirelessly is in no way related to the speaker being battery powered or not. The unit that andi*pandi linked to above actually notes that it includes a 9V adapter so it can be hardwired into your power, though it does have a battery option.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2011, 02:45 AM

One option is to pipe iTunes from your computer to your sound system, and then you can use the Apple Remote app for control.

Forum Links
Forum Rules