Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My First Mac - 12" Powerbook :)

My First Mac - 12" Powerbook :)
IcedOrange
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 07:23 PM

Got my first Apple computer about a week ago (I've messed with them my entire life, but this is the first one that I've purchased for myself) and I'm just loving it! Although I do have some issues:

-Mouse moves too slow, I'm used to spazz clicking on my PC (I guess it's a residual effect from my Quake and CS days). USB Overdrive solved that in a jiffy.

-Dead pixel!!! Grrr... mine came with a pixel that's stuck on purple. I guess things like this are inevitable, but why did it have to be me?!?! Anybody wanna trade? My latch/screen lines up perfectly w/o any gaps.

-I took out the battery the other day to install an Airport card and a screw popped out. The shiny silver screw that moves when you turn the battery release (it's right underneath the button on the battery that you press to display the juice left in the battery). Anybody think I should bring it in? Everything still seems to hold in place just fine. Also, can I bring it into any Apple Store? I bought mine online from Apple.com

-I really, really, really wish Safari had tabbed browsing. It's actually the only reason why I use Chimera instead. With a 12" screen and only 1024 pixels to work with, I find arranging multiple browser windows a hassle. And much like my mousing, I like to spazz surf between 10 sites at once.

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2003, 07:28 PM

congrats on your first mac.
sorry to hear about the dead pixel, but if you send it to apple they will take care of the problem.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by docholiday:
congrats on your first mac.
sorry to hear about the dead pixel, but if you send it to apple they will take care of the problem.
Unfortunately Apple considers one dead pixel not their problem, and they'll only tell you they're sorry.

But wonderful to hear you like your first Mac! Have fun with it!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

IcedOrange  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 07:52 PM

Will they really give me an apology if I call up about a dead pixel?

johnmc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 11:07 PM

-Mouse moves too slow, I'm used to spazz clicking on my PC (I guess it's a residual effect from my Quake and CS days). USB Overdrive solved that in a jiffy.

Is it not fast enough even if you increase its speed in the "mouse" set up on the System Preferences?

John

Commodus
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2003, 11:32 PM

If you've got a stuck pixel, try massaging it with the sort of lint-free cloth you'd use to clean it (such as the cloth you often get with a set of glasses). Don't be too rough, but do more than just wipe the cloth over the screen.

I somehow developed a stuck pixel after I got my own first Mac (the 15" PowerBook of my sig), but rubbing it a bit with the cloth I have seems to have taken care of it, and it hasn't reappeared since.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

IcedOrange  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 04:19 AM

The mouse was too slow for me, even with the System Preferences mouse speed setting at the highest. But with the new driver, it's all good. I like to be able to get to the dock with only a slight flick of the wrist.

I've tried gently massaging the dead pixel, but alas it's still there.

ymmit
Feb 21, 2003, 04:51 AM

yeah, dead pixel is.. ermm.. black? no colour?

if it's a stuck pixel, I think massaging it will remove it. seriously..

azarel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by IcedOrange:
The mouse was too slow for me, even with the System Preferences mouse speed setting at the highest. But with the new driver, it's all good. I like to be able to get to the dock with only a slight flick of the wrist.

I've tried gently massaging the dead pixel, but alas it's still there.
same here...mine also got a dead pixel...think its red in colour?? but when its in a white background you can't really see it...tried massaging but it just won't disappear... >_< but i love my PB!!!!

Agent69
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2003, 11:23 PM

Congrats on your purchase. I hope that you will be happy with it for as long as you own it.
Agent69

finalfantasy
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2003, 01:43 AM

Yeah im like that to, man CS got me good with mouse, couldnt avoid my awp.

Hmm I would try calling Apple they might take it back, never know. You could just say i has a dead pixel and it flickers then they might take it.

But Congratulations on your new Apple.

IcedOrange  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2003, 07:57 PM

I guess I could call Apple about the stuck pixel. I mean, what's to lose, right?

It's forever purple/pink-ish unless it's showing something black. The worst part is that it shows up on white and light backgrounds, which is what everything uses.

Forum Links
Forum Rules