Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari banished from my dock - new builds of Camino are fantastic

Safari banished from my dock - new builds of Camino are fantastic
gregpins
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2004, 02:31 PM

If you haven't tried Camino lately, check out a nightly. It has made substantial leaps forward in the last week or so. New look to the tabs and much improved compatiability (I'm having trouble finding sites it doesn't handle properly).

Most importantly, the speed difference between Camino and Safari is now even more pronounced. Camino is dramatically faster than Safari and much less buggy and problematic in regard to certain websites (MSNBC and some boards, most noticeably, but there are others). And of course, Camino has had a "Send Link" function for quite some time, something Safari inexplicably sill lacks (though there are ways to hack one).

My compliments to the Camino team. One piece of advice: go ahead and call it 1.0 and "release" it. There is no re reason why it shouldn't be widely adopted, and less adventurous types aren't as likelyh to try something with a .9 version number. Silly, but true.

My advice to Apple, get 1.3 out there and don't wait for Tiger for 2.0. You are being left behind.

Just my two.

sideus
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 02:51 PM

I dropped Safari for OmniWeb.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2004, 03:12 PM

Camino is damn good; however, until it has spelchekc I'm going to continue using Safari...

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 6, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by sideus:
I dropped Safari for OmniWeb.
same here. Although Camino is way faster and more standards compliant, Omniweb has the better features. Still, I agree, the latest nightly of Camino look great with those new tabs.

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
Camino is damn good; however, until it has spelchekc I'm going to continue using Safari...
You don't seem to have turned it on. Yes, I know, that was a joke. I got it.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2004, 09:39 AM

Camino has replaced both Safari and Firefox in my dock!
The new tabs are just delicious!

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 10:04 AM

Yep I'm using it too. The new tabs are great and should be getting better as well as they plan to put in things like drag ordering.

I don't really miss the spellchecker, if you just take your time and read what you've written.

A big missing feature though is the lack of forms autofill. I didn't realise how much I used it in Safari because it was all automatic. Camino also doesn't remember recent things you typed in boxes, such as searches.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2004, 02:22 PM

I've been using camino since I purchase my powerbook in july... love it! Was always a mozilla fan on the PC side!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 05:37 PM

I tried the "official" Camino... .8.1 is it? And it showed promise, but I didn't really like the "feel" of it.

So after reading this post, I got the Sept 6 nightly.... and you were right... it rocks. I got that java plugin thing that makes it use the latest java plugin, and I'm completely happy! It didn't take very long before I'd tested all of the pages I frequent, and with a few font tweaks and pref settings, I "defaulted" it and kicked Safari off the dock.

It's much faster than Safari, and those hideous tabs from .8 are gone. Plus, if you change the toolbar to show only text (instead of icons and text), you get a crap load of extra screen real estate.

Is there a place where people testing these nightlies post problems, issues, etc? I'd like to keep up with the progress and check to see if there are any new issues, new features, etc popping up as they develop this bad boy.

passmaster16
Senior User
Sep 7, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
Yep I'm using it too. The new tabs are great and should be getting better as well as they plan to put in things like drag ordering.

I don't really miss the spellchecker, if you just take your time and read what you've written.

A big missing feature though is the lack of forms autofill. I didn't realise how much I used it in Safari because it was all automatic. Camino also doesn't remember recent things you typed in boxes, such as searches.
Yeah I've been using Camino since it was Chimera .5 and even with Safari, Omniweb, and Firefox, I still go back to Camino. I just like its simplicity but also its feel...it feels like a true OS X browser...it has that "look and feel" to me. But my only problem with it is the lack of native text widgets (so lack of spell check) and autoform fill. I'm glad people are using it. For the longest time there was discussion of whether or not it would continue to be developed but I would hope that Pinkerton and the rest of the developers would see that there is a very good interest in this product and that their efforts are appreciated

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by RedHerring:

Is there a place where people testing these nightlies post problems, issues, etc? I'd like to keep up with the progress and check to see if there are any new issues, new features, etc popping up as they develop this bad boy.
These forums: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=12 seem to be where a lot of discussion goes on, not sure the devs check them though.

I really think if they got autofill/address book/spellcheck integration worked out they'd convert hordes of users. Those features have been on the cards for literally years but no progress as of yet.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
Same here.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2004, 10:32 PM

Until Camino supports extensions, I'll stick with Firefox.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2004, 03:41 AM

Okay, so this is neither here nor there, but since I switched to Mac, it's such a pleasure being on bulletin boards where people spell correctly and even capitalize at the beginning of sentences! It's like the average IQ of everyone around me just went up by 20%.

Anyway, since my spelling is already pretty good, I think I'll check out the new Camino build. Feature-wise, Omniweb is the best browser I've ever seen, but it's not as snappy as it should be on my G4.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 04:14 AM

Holy crap! It is fast.

Aww, no spell check...

-Owl

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2004, 04:14 AM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
Okay, so this is neither here nor there, but since I switched to Mac, it's such a pleasure being on bulletin boards where people spell correctly and even capitalize at the beginning of sentences! It's like the average IQ of everyone around me just went up by 20%.
You don't hang around the Lounge much, do you?

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2004, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by RedHerring:
So after reading this post, I got the Sept 6 nightly.... and you were right... it rocks. I got that java plugin thing that makes it use the latest java plugin, and I'm completely happy! It didn't take very long before I'd tested all of the pages I frequent, and with a few font tweaks and pref settings, I "defaulted" it and kicked Safari off the dock.
What is this java plugin you speak of?

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
What is this java plugin you speak of?
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23790

It lets browsers besides Safari use the most recent java plugin. For instance, my bank website doesn't work in Camino with the java plugin it uses by default.

But when I throw this bad boy in there, bingo - it works! So far that's really the only site I frequent where it makes a difference, but I'm sure there are others.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 10:00 AM

I'm using the latest nightly from 9/6/04 and the speed boost is INCREDIBLE! I honestly did not expect it to be this fast. And I'm on dial-up too! AWESOME. Just awesome.

yskar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2004, 12:24 PM

My pros and cons on the new style tabs:

Pros:
1. Safari-like, left-to-right, not centered tab: I didn't like the old style tab because as you open a new tab, the existing tab(s) move(s) to the left. Awkward.
2. Close button on each tab: You can now close a background tab with the single click on the close button.
3. Takes up less vertical space

Cons:
1. Lacks contrast: with the old style tab, you could easily distinguish what tab is on the frontmost and what tabs are in the background.
2. The new style tabs don't go well with the browser design as a whole. They are a bit too square, I think.
3. Looks like Safari tabs, especially when Safari is demetallifized.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 8, 2004, 01:19 PM

I like it. Very much.
I think I just found my new browser.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

foamy
Senior User
Sep 8, 2004, 01:45 PM

Weird. I just downloaded it and found it annoyingly slow compared to Firefox.

Anyone else think Firefox is much faster?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2004, 01:48 PM

Does it do Midas yet? I know there was interest in hooking it up before 1.0, but has that been done?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Does it do Midas yet? I know there was interest in hooking it up before 1.0, but has that been done?
I don't know what Midas is, but I do know there are builds with it included available on the Mozillazine forums, Camino section.

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2004, 04:24 PM

I loved it until I started scrolling a page (on my tibook, with sidetrack). Scrolling sucks, slow as hell.

Bummer.

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2004, 06:27 PM

The good:

1) New tabs are fast and responsive, unlike the Safari tabs which bog down the program incredibly when a new page is loading.

2) Overall speed is v. good.

The bad:

1) Page rendering is ugly compared to safari, especially rendering of paragraphs of text

2) No spell check

3) No smooth-scroll.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
I don't know what Midas is
Where I come from it's a popular automotive maintenance service chain. Dunno what the heck you guys are talking about.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 07:27 PM

Camino 0.9+ is definitely very speedy. I also like the "native" Aqua feel of the app. My beefs are few:

- No spell check

- No autofill

- The favicon in the tab is ugly, distracting, and quite frankly a waste of space. The various icons kill the clean look of the brower's UI. The space would be better utilized for the text.

- The tabs are not very visually distinctive. Not very easy to tell at a glance which tab is active unlike Safari. I think this is due in large part to the presence of the favicons in the tabs. If they weren't there it would probably be easier to tell which tab is active.

- Tabs don't position the page title text intelligently like Safari. For instance, if I have several tabs open with the Macnn forums, Safari is smart enough to know that they all start with "Macnn Forums - " so it doesn't display that part. A small but extremely useful functionality detail. Camino just lists the text from left to right which provides no way to distinguish which tab contains a particular forum.

- The cursor has a rather fast and annoying flash in text input boxes.

Overall, I keep Camino around to tackle the few sites that don't work in Safari. It's coming along nicely, but the lack of the "finishing touches" that will keep me in Safari despite the speed boost. At this point Camino doesn't have much going for it that Safari doesn't have other than speed. Safari, OTOH, has a few features that demonstrate a certain "polish" that Camino lacks ... and once Safari 1.3 is released I suspect it will catch up or even leap frog Camino in the speed category.

Bottom line for me is that Safari is still top dog on my machine.

OAW

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
- The favicon in the tab is ugly, distracting, and quite frankly a waste of space. The various icons kill the clean look of the brower's UI. The space would be better utilized for the text.
Amen, I totally agree! In fact, I agree with everything you just said OAW...

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2004, 09:25 PM

Another thing is that they need to implement support for the small aqua widget set in web forms (although that may break jaguar support).

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 11:50 PM

Nice speed improvement for the nightly build, indeed.

I wish they had this kind of progress when it comes to Thunderbird for the Mac OSX. that thing is still unbearably slow..
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

RonnieoftheRose
Sep 9, 2004, 12:36 AM

Using the latest nightly. Don't like the text rendering but the speed is outrageous.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2004, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by yskar:
My pros and cons on the new style tabs:

Pros:
1. Safari-like, left-to-right, not centered tab: I didn't like the old style tab because as you open a new tab, the existing tab(s) move(s) to the left. Awkward.
2. Close button on each tab: You can now close a background tab with the single click on the close button.
3. Takes up less vertical space
4. Themeable

Cons:
none.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2004, 06:51 AM

Yeah exactly. Because Camino is a standard Aqua app (unlike Safari, which doesn't have standard toolbar for instance) it is easier to theme.

For instance, I felt the close boxes on the tabs didn't stand out enough so I switched the pressed and inactive state.

I imagine that once these tabs have been around a while people will bring out mods just for them (say to make them aqua or to match a theme). Shiira has these advantages also, I'd use that but it's unstable and Camino is faster.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2004, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
Where I come from it's a popular automotive maintenance service chain. Dunno what the heck you guys are talking about.
It's Mozilla's API for in-browser rich-text editing. It's based off of a model IE uses, so that you can do it cross-browser.

Unfortunately, IE has two models, and the upcoming rich-text editing in Safari is based off of the other model. End result: a truly cross-browser solution is going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible.

radii_22
Sep 9, 2004, 03:27 PM

I think that the most refined interface is the Safari's interface. The widgets of firefox are so simple, and the tabs of Camino are not good designed.

I still like more the renderisation of the Webkit. However, Safari has a big problem : its bookmars dont support comments, so there are no way to organize them by keywords (searching a keyword in Launchbar for example).The Caminos bookmark manager is the best part of it, I guess.

Apple has to do serious efforts to contrarest the efforts of Mozilla, including more features as a refined bookmarks manager, a "full screen" view and a view without the navigation and the bookmarks bar, importing bookmarks, etc.

--->>> Karate is only for defense

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2004, 03:34 PM

The big problem with the 10.3.5 Safari is that annoying as hell "bring to the forefront when it finishes rendering." Damn that bugs me. Reminds me of Windows hell where you're typing in one window, look up, and discover that some other window has brought itself to the front. On the Mac the only program that does this is Stuffit (may it rot in hell for that behavior) Now, for reasons that completely escape me, Safari is doing that.

It is almost enough to make me go to Camino or Firefox. What keeps me on Safari is the spell checker.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
The big problem with the 10.3.5 Safari is that annoying as hell "bring to the forefront when it finishes rendering." Damn that bugs me. Reminds me of Windows hell where you're typing in one window, look up, and discover that some other window has brought itself to the front.
I hate that.

Some sites use JavaScript to do that - so it happens on all browsers!
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

ambush
Banned
Sep 9, 2004, 06:49 PM

Camino=main browser now.

was OW5 but I disliked the way it crashed/was slow/downloaded corrupt torrent files.

and it's shareware

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2004, 12:34 AM

I had been using Firefox recently but wow... Camino is growing up. Definitely my default browser at the moment, and will continue to be if they keep their pace up. Job well done Pinkerton and Team.

That said, it does need some minor interface tweaks here and there... I've removed Favicons, blocked banner and flash ads w/ custom userContent.css, and tweaked the icons used in the bookmarks toolbar (note the Safari folder down-arrow icon)

Later
//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2004, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by OAW:
At this point Camino doesn't have much going for it that Safari doesn't have other than speed.
Except for, oh, type-ahead find. And toolbar shortcuts.

And being able to browse FTP sites...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2004, 01:35 AM

Slow scrolling...it sucks.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 01:39 AM

I love it, but if it would just put the URL of the auto-complete box in teh URL box, so you could just start typing macnn and then enter, like Safari, I would be sold.

Also, why doesn't the normal page up and down work? (command up and down on powerbooks)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2004, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Except for, oh, type-ahead find. And toolbar shortcuts.

And being able to browse FTP sites...
...or at least honoring the user's system settings for the default FTP browser.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:

That said, it does need some minor interface tweaks here and there... I've removed Favicons, blocked banner and flash ads w/ custom userContent.css, and tweaked the icons used in the bookmarks toolbar (note the Safari folder down-arrow icon)

Later
//Carbon
I like those folder/menu icons Carbon, any chance of posting them?

F_Elz, there must be something up on your system if scrolling is slow, it's a lot faster at scrolling than safari for me.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2004, 08:28 AM

Nice job ! Here's my Plaster skin I'm working on :

May I ask, how did you remove Favicons ?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2004, 08:32 AM

Very nice! I'd love to hear more about how you did all of this...

Thanks!

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 10, 2004, 11:16 AM

I�ve been using Camino for a few days now and will use it as my main browser till something better comes along.
The speed is fantastic!
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

120db
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2004, 05:16 PM

I'd love to plug in my css file that i've been using in safari to get rid of ads. where does it go to work in Camino? that would make a huge difference.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2004, 05:30 PM

I've been using Camino since Navigator 0.2.4. And after having lived through the dark year immediately after Safari's release when there was pretty much zero development done on the browser, I couldn't be happier with the speed at which it is currently being developed and the direction it is headed in.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules