Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Somatic 1.0

[ANN] Somatic 1.0
phillryu
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 02:29 PM

Designed by David Lanham, Somatic is the accompanying theme to his popular, previously released icon set. Like his popular icon sets and desktops, Somatic brings a completely fresh, unique look to your computer. Apply it, and your bright colored windows will grow hairs, globs of purple liquid will begin running through your interface, and your iChat smilies will be replaced with emotional white blobs. And now, thanks to ShapeShifter 2, users can apply the theme along with icons, twelve application skins, an included cursor set, and one of five desktop backgrounds with one click, and become totally immersed in David's quirky vision.

Somatic was designed by David Lanham, with the help of Alex Stevens on ThemePark, and Joe Loy beta testing. More information can be found on the MacThemes.net Productions Site.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 02:34 PM

*sobs*
*looks up*
*sobs more*

dlanham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 02:47 PM

hey hey hey, i'm doing little jig!!! it's finally done!!

Thanks to the community for forcing me to make the theme, I really had fun with it!

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 02:49 PM

fantastic.
DigitalRamen sucks.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 02:54 PM

Everything looks great except the icons. Changing safari to something that I have no idea what is doesn't work well for me. Other than that it looks great! And so many colors!!!!!

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by dlanham:

Thanks to fireside for forcing me to make the theme, I really had fun with it!
fixed�

btw phil i didn't really help david on themepark, he kinda went off and did it himself after i did some work for a day or two.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 02:59 PM

As I said in the other thread..
Somatic is just fantastic
One of the best themes ever made
David
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 03:02 PM

NM... brain fart.
( Last edited by efuseakay; Oct 26, 2004 at 03:12 PM. )

Dave-o�
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 03:24 PM

Thanks to the community for forcing me to make the theme, I really had fun with it!
I would like to know what your fellow co-workers think about your theme?

david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 03:30 PM

Amazingly organic. I don't know if I'm looking at my screen or if my screen is looking at me!

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 03:41 PM

HELP! I cannot apply the cursors! I downloaded the Mighty Mouse, but when I click on Somatic under cursors in Shapeshifter it doesn't change! I tried log-out, but it didn't work.

Revolution6000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 03:43 PM

Select Restore Aqua Cursors (or whatever the default is) and then click Somatic again, that's fixed it for me anyway.

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 04:03 PM

No it doesn't work! Please help! I want the most Lanham-ified desktop!

dole
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 05:46 PM

I can't get the Somatic cursor to work either. I only have the demo of Mighty Mouse so I'm not sure if that is the problem.

ambush
Banned
Oct 26, 2004, 05:54 PM

one of the best, most complete theme ever made!

david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by pyn:
No it doesn't work! Please help! I want the most Lanham-ified desktop!

Do any of the other cursors work? Try the Azure or Fear 3 cursors. I had the same problem with the Somatic cursor, but it cleared up when I applied the other ones.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 06:39 PM

is there a battery or airport menu extra theme? as in, did those get changed?

i would love the keychain access lock as well, but i can live if it's not done.

just axing. great theme guys. finally get me away from titanium. after almost two years.

AuGie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 06:59 PM

Fantastic Job David

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 07:36 PM

I am floored. A total Somatic makeover. It's just so beautiful.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

microrario
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 09:27 PM

Wow, amazing theme; however, there is a bug in iChat where the message bubbles are normal color on the borders, but not on the interior (you can see this with a two-line message).

sayonaraML
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 10:28 PM

It's been said many times already but worthy of one more thanks you for a way cool theme. I've been on flowere power for a long time now. Tried other things but just dug the theme with my fave icon set and desktop but Somatic-the whole deal-is just the bomb.
One more shout out to the Unsanity folks. Please no more complaining about the cost of registering this. The updates are plentiful and substantial and the folks be cool and way worthy of the cost of the software.

dlanham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 10:41 PM

iChat bubble bug is a mysterious thing that nobody can figure out, it only happens on custom colored bubbles though, so you'll have to use the default colors :/

but there are really great emotes to make up for it! so no worries ^_^

my quote button isn't working, but someone mentioned the safari icon makes no sense. It's an elephant though, and i've never heard of a safari that doesn't have an elephant in it, so that's what that is about.

Thanks again for all the awesome comments!

mac15
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 10:50 PM

amazing work by David and Fireside , well done to them both

poocat
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 12:54 AM

we need someone to hop on this ball and make us an adium message view! it's one of the few things (on my desktop now) that doesn't fit! this is really gorgeous. finally my mac is all orange!

woop.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Sage
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 01:27 AM

Wow wow wow wow wow – I never even used the Somatic icons before today (no CandyBar), but now I'm absolutely digging this theme and iconset. And even the System Preferences prefpane icons are themed! Complete, totally unique, polished – I love it.

Any chance you'd consider making icons for MS Word/Excel/PP/Entourage?

microrario
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 01:57 AM

Is it just me or is the eject button in the dock a little pixelated and out of place?

Also, the EQ button in VLC is not themed.

Aluminum
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 03:22 AM

my only knock to a great theme is that the color of the font in itunes should be black inside of that fuzzy white as it appears for hours and gigs of music at the bottom, etc.
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

Hedemann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 03:58 AM

Absolutely terrific theme and icons. Artistry at its best. Very organic and non computerish...but would it be possible to request something ? ( I'm doing it anyway ). Could you add another color the other five ? I was thinking a white / grey variation, like the color of an inactive window....That would be great.
Congrats to you David...

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 09:50 AM

my quote button isn't working, but someone mentioned the safari icon makes no sense. It's an elephant though, and i've never heard of a safari that doesn't have an elephant in it, so that's what that is about.
Ahh very true.

testnull
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 10:02 AM

Wow. I am so enjoying this theme. Any chance you could do appskins for iSync (the metal sync button looks a little out of place) and OmniWeb?

SilentEchoes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 10:37 AM

My only complaint is there is a text color issue in garage band when you bring up the track settings.

Other than that its up there on my list. I'm lovin it.

SLam
Oct 27, 2004, 03:59 PM

Awesome theme. Looks great.

There seems to be a problem with iTunes. The status text at the bottom is barely visible (white on light grey background).
MacBook Pro 15" | 2 GB | 100 GB | 10.5.1stevelam.org

ender2002
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 06:07 PM

with metal apps (safari, finder, etc) the corner is a bit fuzzy. i dont know if this a problem with the limitations of themepark or whatever. is there anyway it could be similar to the hairy regular windows?

otherwise;

the best theme ever made.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:
with metal apps (safari, finder, etc) the corner is a bit fuzzy. i dont know if this a problem with the limitations of themepark or whatever. is there anyway it could be similar to the hairy regular windows?
which corner? david pretty much decided to leave the two styles of windows (metal and non-metal) different. iirc at one point in time he had the hair stuff like on the regular ones, but ultimately he decided on making the hair more stylized.

though i don't want to speak for him, thats just what i remember(ed).

ender2002
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 07:04 PM

it looks like im seeing doubles in the corner for the metal windows.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:

it looks like im seeing doubles in the corner for the metal windows.
do you use windowshadex's apply border or whater its called? i think thats the problem.

msfletch04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 09:20 PM

So now that we have a complete theme and the icons, and the cursors, and the desktops...all I see that is left is WIDGETS! Come on, this would be awesome...a somatic weather widget, or a somatic clock, or how about a somatic itunes widget..that would be cool. There would be so many possibilities because this idea is so original. Come on guys! Please, make some sweet somatic widgets! Especially you David Lanham Later.

AlbanianGenome
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 09:27 PM

jesus man, he just made the theme and all these icons, take it easy on him, I am sure he has a life too, I am sure in time he will get around to something or someone else will. Patience my son.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by AlbanianGenome:
I am sure he has a life too,
nope.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 09:39 PM

There is a bug in this, visible if you are using Windowshade X with shadow borders enabled -- in the drawers.

It appears in drawers on the leftside of a window, at the upperleft corner. There appears to be a bit of junk there that messes up that one single shadow border. All other borders of all other drawers are fine.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

microrario
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 10:08 PM

Where exactly can I get the iPod icon shown in this screenshot? It isn't in the Somatic icon set from Iconfactory and it obviously isn't in the iContainer packaged with CandyBar 2.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 10:52 PM

Ahh, nice theme David. Im using blue right now and I dont have any complaints, in fact I have an interesting idea for you.

Instead of the widgets like what you have now, you could have three eyes (red, yellow, and green) that would bring up the x-+ symbols on hover and close when theyre pressed. Thatd be pretty cool, no?

Anyways, keep up the good work and Id like to see more app icons (MS Office, ImageReady, NetNewsWire/Light, Garageband, iSync, and VLC) whenever you have time.

later.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

underwood
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by Hedemann:
I was thinking a white / grey variation, like the color of an inactive window....That would be great.
i agree!! please make this!! pleaseeee?

if you're not free...i'll try to mod it myself (it won't be as good tho).

Sage
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 11:54 PM

Oh, one more comment… this has absolutely the most kick-ass iTunes appskin I've ever seen. The way the RR/Pause-Play/FF buttons revolve around white eyes, the tongue for the volume slider (a whole face – genius!), and of course the Browse eye. Way, way too cool. :tup:

I do wish white wasn't so hard to read against orange though…

bunnyofdoom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 11:58 PM

I am a newbie to the gui forums... long time watcher. A huge problem i have noticed about somatic (a theme i love so) are print dialogues. The text is white on grey!! Same goes for toast six, but i am happy to exclude it. Also, does anyone else have the problem with the blue elements being in itunes when the green theme is in use?

wreks
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 01:46 AM

the theme is very nice nice, though I do hope this widget idea is filed away somewhere.

underwood
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 06:18 AM

i sorta found a bug. i don't think you can call it a bug, just something you miss.

for the save dialogue, labels and sidebar selection are not the same as finder. i tried to fix it in themepark but meh too much work if i don't have the original theme file. i would have to reapply the whole theme plus app skins. plus i dunno how to "merge with installed icons" cos it only merges those from candybar.

dlanham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 10:11 AM

Thanks again for all the comments, they're greatly appreciated!

I've logged most of the issues and i'll try and get those fixed, text colors have been a major pain cause they are repeated in all these obscure places I don't think to test.

I will be *quite* busy for a month or so though, so don't expect anything really soon, I can say that there will be a large somatic drop with all the new icons for apps and devices and what not before the theme update.

sorry for all the minor hiccups, i know those can get really annoying! There's just so many things to think about when themeing. oi

and wreks, that original idea is dead.. if anyone wants it they can run with it to their heart's content

bunnyofdoom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 10:15 AM

is there anyway to put print dialogues on the exclude list? that is the only bug really bothering me... i can live with itunes (i'll just use the blue variation, even though it doesn't match my mini

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by wreks:
the theme is very nice nice, though I do hope this widget idea is filed away somewhere.

I'd love to see someone get this working.

Forum Links
Forum Rules