Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac - Switcher questions

imac - Switcher questions
wiffmaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2005, 02:30 PM

Hello guys,

Thinking of getting a 20 inch imac some time soon (after Jan 22nd so I get ilife '05 for free).

Have heard a lot about the noisy fan issues, but gather this is just a 17 inch problem - is this true?

The internal bluetooth module - Some people say this doesn't work well. I plan on getting a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, so will this be a problem or has it been fixed?

Will the imac fully support the new Tiger coreimage stuff, is it a 64bit processor, what is the graphics card like? (I don't play any games). (Sorry if those are silly newbie/switcher questions!)

Are any updates due for the imac soon? I'm guessing not - but want to double check!

Was going to get a Powerbook, but the price of them is absolutely ridiculous for what they are at the moment. Since I wouldn't use its portability that much, i'm going for an imac!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 10:58 AM

A friend of mine has a 20" iMac, and i wouldn't say it's noisy. You can definitely here the fan, but it not loud (at least during standard usage, ie not Gaming).

He has wireless keyboard and mouse, and it's working pretty well.

iMac does support core image, and yes, G5 is a 64 bit processor.
The video card is pretty good if you don't do strong gaming...

wiffmaster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 11:00 AM

Excellent - thanks for your help, that's just what I wanted to hear actually!

Any updates due soon? (as in the next month, as I am now ready to buy).

Cheers.
( Last edited by wiffmaster; Jan 15, 2005 at 11:30 AM. )

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 11:43 AM

iMac shouldn't be updated before at least 2-3 months.

wiffmaster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 11:55 AM

Thanks. That's good news. Will buy one on the 22nd then hopefully, so I get the ilife 05 included for free.

Thanks again.

jnrjr79
Jan 19, 2005, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by wiffmaster:
Thanks. That's good news. Will buy one on the 22nd then hopefully, so I get the ilife 05 included for free.

Thanks again.
I just ordered the 20'' tonight and the guy on the phone told me that iLife '05 should come with it.

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2005, 09:58 PM

I ordered my 20" iMac (BTO w/ BlueTooth & Wireless KB + Mouse and APX) on the 15th. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow (can't wait to finally be back on Mac desktop!) and I'm hoping somehow iLife '05 is in there, but I doubt it. If not, I'll get it for the $19.95 up-to-date fee...I used that getting Panther and Apple was quick getting it to me.

Hope you enjoy your iMac!

Forum Links
Forum Rules