Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > battery recall question

battery recall question
wobbly
Sep 6, 2006, 01:21 AM

Hello,
Searching the forum, nor Apple website yielded the answer, so I'll ask here.

How long do we have to request a new battery under the recall? How long to return the recalled one?

Thanks!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 01:23 AM

MacBook or a iBook? MacBooks arn't under recall.
Signature depreciated.

wobbly  (op)
Sep 6, 2006, 01:43 AM

It's an ibook, battery serial number is within the range specified on the Apple website.

vinster
Senior User
Sep 6, 2006, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by wobbly
Hello,
How long do we have to request a new battery under the recall? How long to return the recalled one?

Thanks!
Probably until your iBook's end-of-lifed which is typically seven years from when it was discontinued. The process you go through in order to get a replacement might be different in a couple of years though.

I'm not certain how long you have to return the old battery once you receive a replacement, probably 30 days or so. The fulfillment company is scanning returned packages, so it will be tracked if you keep the old battery. I think they'd probably invoice you at some point if you don't send it back.

wobbly  (op)
Sep 6, 2006, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by vinster
Probably until your iBook's end-of-lifed which is typically seven years from when it was discontinued. The process you go through in order to get a replacement might be different in a couple of years though.

I'm not certain how long you have to return the old battery once you receive a replacement, probably 30 days or so. The fulfillment company is scanning returned packages, so it will be tracked if you keep the old battery. I think they'd probably invoice you at some point if you don't send it back.
Thanks!

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2006, 05:15 PM

someone told me a way around the invoice is to order your new battery thru a PO box, then you get the new battery and cancel the PO box, when they try to send the invoice it gets sent back to apple.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 6, 2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic
someone told me a way around the invoice is to order your new battery thru a PO box, then you get the new battery and cancel the PO box, when they try to send the invoice it gets sent back to apple.
Isn't that just plain obviously unethical? Why try to screw Apple?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gl1tchy0ne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2006, 05:24 PM

Well I have an iBook G4 and just today sent the request for my new battery so I know you can still do it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules