Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 does not see DVD

OS9 does not see DVD
Dragonlance
Mar 1, 2000, 12:11 AM

i installed OS9 and did the software up-date thing, and now it cant play dvd movies. suggestions ? s'il vous plait ?

------------------
Mac Rules !!! seeya

Belsambar
Mar 2, 2000, 11:27 AM

Did you install OS 9 on an older Mac (like a B&W G3)? The new DVD player is a software-based decoder, and I don't think it works with hardware-based systems (at least it didn't on mine). Going back to an older version of the DVD player (in the 1.x range) should fix it if that's the case... at least it did on mine.

Leonard
Mar 2, 2000, 11:28 AM

You didn't mention what type of system you have or what the exact error is. There are many problems that can cause the DVD not to work after upgrading to Mac OS 9. Unless your more specific about what type of machine you have and the error, it's hard to pinpoint the problem.
One problem is that B&W G3's came with hardware decoders for DVDs and most G4's (excluding PCI graphics machines) came with software decoding software for DVDs (no hardware). I believe MacOS 9.0 contains an update to the software decoding so if you install it on a machine with hardware decoding it causes problems. The solution is to use the old software that came with the machine.
Another problem is that not all the software is loaded in by the update and a certain library is missing. Install that library... Apple has a technical info library item on this.
I'm sure there are other problems as well, especially a ton with the actual software decoding. There are individual updates to fix some of these problems.

Leonard ([email protected])

Jeep2000
Mar 2, 2000, 01:55 PM

Make sure that you have the Control Strip extensions and control panels turned on and that the Control Strip is shown. My computer wouldn't play DVDs until I did this. The error was very generic, something like "The DVD cannot play because the folder cannot be found".

ZFrame
Mar 2, 2000, 02:09 PM

I also had problems with OS 9 and my DVD on a B&W, check this out and see if it helps
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/000110.html

jrf42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2000, 08:56 PM

I have a PowerBook G3 400MHz Bronze. When I recently played a dvd in there (First time after installing MacOS 9) I had few problems. 1) The video freezes for a few seconds and starts up again. With this audio also freezes. Both start up on their own after few seconds.2) The audio skips once in a while. Are these problems due to this Software /Hardware problem that you are talking about. If so what is the solution.
Thank you.
RF.

Leonard
Mar 3, 2000, 11:11 AM

jrf42, the main software decoding problem I heard is the audio drifting or not being in sync with the video... it tends to get out of sync by seconds and stays out of sync until the player is paused. Apple has released various updates for this, but there seems to be a few updates Apple has only released in OS 9.0.2 (9.0.3?) such as the Apple Player 2.1, and Firewire 2.3 which they haven't released anywhere else. OS 9.0.2 (9.0.3) seems to be only available with new Powerbooks/PowerMac G4s.
See Apple TIL article http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n75023.

Forum Links
Forum Rules