Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook G4 fan won't turn off

Powerbook G4 fan won't turn off
ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2006, 12:17 AM

I will make long story short..

My Powerbook G4's hard drive went nuts and I had to get a new one but after I took it apart I had to wait a long a few weeks to get the new HD and my mother accidently vacumed half of the screws. Well then I managed to put in the new hard drive and the powerbook together althought it is missing a few screws ( Like me ). Then I installed a brand new copy of the OS X 10.3 and now the fan just wont turn off for ****. Even if the computer hasnt been used and is dead cold still fan wont come off. And from jerking around during instalation of HD now the optical drive doesnt sit flush with the ridge you put the CD or DVD in. I just installed a new battery today so I want to see if the fan on all the time will have a big effect on battery life. Please let me know if any of you have something similar and suggestions are really apreciated.

Regards, Isaac

houltmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 01:58 AM

Firstly I would ask which screws are missing and which PBG4 you have (size and processor speed?). Then I'd say that you really need to get that optical drive flush or it's useless.

In manner of suggestions for the fan I would try resetting the PRAM and possibly the NVRAM also. I assume this is starting before you even get to the OS load? Is everything else working okay? Are the fan connectors properly seated? This can be a sign of a bad logic board, but if everything else works then it's less likely.

vinster
Senior User
Oct 18, 2006, 02:31 AM

I would try to get a hold of the missing screws from one of those online powerbook repair shops. If you have the Apple service manual for your powerbook, it should list the various screws needed.

Good luck!

ibr80  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by houltmac View Post
Firstly I would ask which screws are missing and which PBG4 you have (size and processor speed?). Then I'd say that you really need to get that optical drive flush or it's useless.

In manner of suggestions for the fan I would try resetting the PRAM and possibly the NVRAM also. I assume this is starting before you even get to the OS load? Is everything else working okay? Are the fan connectors properly seated? This can be a sign of a bad logic board, but if everything else works then it's less likely.
I just missing a few screws underneath the keyboard and the outside case of of the Powerbook but everything else is working fine. The fan start right when I hit the power button and never ever stops. I think it might have something to do with the optical drive not sitting flush and maybe the PB thinks there's a CD or DVD inside? Im not sure I havent really looked at the Fan connectors, What are they? cable? I think I will try and bust my PB open again and see if I can make the optical drive work and see if there are any loose cable in and around the fan, but this is getting em very nervious. I have a Powerbook G4 1Ghz 12". Any help would be really apreciated.

ibr80  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by vinster View Post
I would try to get a hold of the missing screws from one of those online powerbook repair shops. If you have the Apple service manual for your powerbook, it should list the various screws needed.

Good luck!
I tried every online shop and they are all sold out on the screw kit's I called apple and they say that they wont sell screws, I have no idea what to do anymore. The funny thing is that everything works fine but I just bought a new HD and a Brand new battery and Im thinking that if the fan doesnt stop it wont be long before either something in the computer seriously goes wrong or the fan itself will break down.

houltmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 01:59 PM

Don't panic just yet. The screws you have missing are unlikely to be the cause of the issue, but if you have managed to get everything (keyboard, top case and bottom case) flush then you are doing well.

The CD drive is unlikely to be the cause of the issue also, in fact I don't see how it could be. That is an isolated issue which can be dealt with later (if it's not properly aligned then disks may scratch as inserted). Check the fan connector which is the small cable with a white plug (in the logic board) between the heatsink and the fan; make sure it's not damaged and it's properly pushed in.

Remember to do all this with the battery out, and for testing purposes use the power cord only and leave the battery out also. If this isn't your problem then like I said, PRAM and NVRAM and failing that then I would say it's probably a bad logic board. Were you properly grounded the whole time you were working on the machine?

ibr80  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2006, 03:40 PM

Don't panic just yet. The screws you have missing are unlikely to be the cause of the issue, but if you have managed to get everything (keyboard, top case and bottom case) flush then you are doing well.

The CD drive is unlikely to be the cause of the issue also, in fact I don't see how it could be. That is an isolated issue which can be dealt with later (if it's not properly aligned then disks may scratch as inserted). Check the fan connector which is the small cable with a white plug (in the logic board) between the heatsink and the fan; make sure it's not damaged and it's properly pushed in.

Remember to do all this with the battery out, and for testing purposes use the power cord only and leave the battery out also. If this isn't your problem then like I said, PRAM and NVRAM and failing that then I would say it's probably a bad logic board. Were you properly grounded the whole time you were working on the machine?

I was not properly grounded because I didnt do anything but take the battery out and unplug the computer, so that maybe a cause.

One thing I noticed is that when I would take out the cover to replace the hard drive the top was connected by two cable that I jerked a bit hard when taken the top of because I had no idea they were attached, and maybe one of those might leed to the fan and I may have unplugged on or something, so let me take it apart tonight and I will get back to you guys.

What happens if I do have a bad logic board? is the machine as good as done? Cause I would assume that it would be really expensive right ? If that is the case wha advise do you have?

houltmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 03:50 PM

You also changed the hard drive though right? Any time you remove the casing you should be properly grounded.

There should have been three cables (power, mic and trackpad) connecting the top case to the logic board. If it turns out to be the logic board then it's going to be expensive, and very difficult to replace. You will want to pay someone to do it for you and that isn't going to be cheap at all.

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2006, 06:44 PM

You also changed the hard drive though right? Any time you remove the casing you should be properly grounded.

There should have been three cables (power, mic and trackpad) connecting the top case to the logic board. If it turns out to be the logic board then it's going to be expensive, and very difficult to replace. You will want to pay someone to do it for you and that isn't going to be cheap at all.
You are right houltmac, a new logic board isn't cheap - costs about £650+ here in the UK - which is about $1,213 in the U.S.
On the other hand, Apple stuff always seems to be that little bit cheaper 'across the pond!'

ibr80  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2006, 01:49 PM

I have double checked everything and it is all plugged and I even installed the os again just in case it was a software issue and the fan still doesnt stop. I have given up and I have decided to ride this baby our till the wheels fall of cause I cant really afford to do anything over $200 to it right now and aparently is might be the logic board. Does anyone know how to conferm that this is actually the case?

Forum Links
Forum Rules