Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What's lost with VGA?

What's lost with VGA?
Docbarbay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2006, 12:11 AM

I've just gotten a mac mini and I've been researching HD Ready LCD TVs to use it as both TV and PC monitor. Unless I get a TV with two HDMI ports, I'm looking at connecting my cable box to the HDMI port on the TV, and my Mini to the TV's PC/VGA connection. The res on the TV is 1366x768, so I'm assuming I'll get that same res for the mac mini. What I don't understand is what I'll really be missing from connecting the mini to the PC connection vs. having a digital (DVI) connection. If it's that worth it, I'm willing to bump up the TV size to get two HDMI ports. I understand the HDMI ports are backwards compatible and will work with DVI port on the min ... Thanks.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2006, 02:13 AM

I think the real issue is the resolution of the TV and not so much what you lose with VGA, which is an analog connection. VGA LCD computer monitors look decent, although DVI is a little better.

Unless the TV is no larger than about 17 inches, those pixels are going to be awfully large for displaying text. A typical 17 inch LCD computer monitor is 1280x1024 so consider how 1366x768 will look on a much bigger screen. It's fine if all you want to do is use the TV for presentations (viewed from a distance) but for internet use, email, word processing, etc., the experience would be lousy.

jebjeb
Senior User
Dec 11, 2006, 04:57 AM

In many cases, LCD tv's will sync at their native res better with VGA than DVI. I tried lots of TV's out in the shop with my Macbook and many would only sync at 1360x768 over DVI but the full 1366 x768 over VGA.

It is not a major as one is only losing 3 pixels each side (most of them didn't try and stretch the 1360 pixel across the native 1366, they just left six columns black).

You will be fine with VGA.

vinster
Senior User
Dec 11, 2006, 10:37 PM

I have posted about this subject before. Connecting a mini and getting native resolution (particularly on a 720p i.e. 1366x768 screen) out of the box is not always possible.

First, in respect to VGA vs. DVI. For the most part the difference is an analog vs. digital connection although DVI does have some advantages such as circuitry that tells the computer what resolutions, refresh rates, etc. are supported by the display. This can be compared in the AV world as component and coax audio/video connections vs. HDMI. You shouldn't notice a difference either way.

In terms of getting a native resolution, you're probably actually better off connecting to a VGA port than you are via HDMI. This is because of the circuitry that ID's supported resolutions in DVI and HDMI connectors is particularly finicky. With a DVI connection, one can ususally download a utility such as DisplayConfig X that allows you to force a particular resolution to be sent to the TV. HDMI is very limited in terms of the signal it accepts. Some sets won't display anything other then standard NTSC/ATSC signals and when you do force the mini to send a signal you end up with an overscan. Again, this can be adjusted using a resolution utility but it will take time to get it pixel perfect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules