Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Time Machine multiple backup drives

Time Machine multiple backup drives
davidrivera
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 04:46 PM

I posted this question in "the official Time Machine Q & A thread" but its gotten so large my question may buried to deep; So please excuse my double posting.

I have 2 external drives I want to designate for backups but I read somewhere that Time Machine can only backup to one device at a time. Is this true?
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz/ 3GB of RAM / 250GB HD/ 320GB HD/ 320GB external FW800 HD / Geforce 7300GT / Dual 19" Acer LCD (4.3)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 05:15 PM

I thought they mentioned using multiple drives/partitions for backup, but the current site suggests you can only use one.

nycdunz
Senior User
Oct 28, 2007, 05:18 PM

can you use one external HD to have timemachine backup more than one machine? i have a g5 and a powerbook that i would like to use timemachine on...

davidrivera  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 06:02 PM

My problem is limited backup space. My Mac Pro has two internal hard drives: a 250 GB HD and one 300 GB HD. I also have 2 external drives: a 500 GB USB and 320 GB Firewire 800. I was hoping Time Machine could back up to both externals. Thinking back on it I was better off getting one big internal drive and using that for Time Machine but then hindsight is 20/20. lol
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz/ 3GB of RAM / 250GB HD/ 320GB HD/ 320GB external FW800 HD / Geforce 7300GT / Dual 19" Acer LCD (4.3)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by nycdunz View Post
can you use one external HD to have timemachine backup more than one machine? i have a g5 and a powerbook that i would like to use timemachine on...
Yes, you can do that.

Originally Posted by davidrivera View Post
My problem is limited backup space. My Mac Pro has two internal hard drives: a 250 GB HD and one 300 GB HD. I also have 2 external drives: a 500 GB USB and 320 GB Firewire 800. I was hoping Time Machine could back up to both externals. Thinking back on it I was better off getting one big internal drive and using that for Time Machine but then hindsight is 20/20. lol
How much of the internal drives are you actually using and what's your churn rate? Buying another 750GB (<$200) drive would let you sell one or both of your externals.

davidrivera  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 06:55 PM

Selling my external drives is a good idea but I don't got the patience to sell it via EBay (I don't know anyone who wants them). I'll most likely use the 500 GB USB as my Time Machine drive. I will put my videos and other huge files on my 320 GB firewire drive and have Time Machine not backup these folders; its probably not a good idea to backup these huge files on an hourly basis anyway (that will gobble up tons of hard drive space).

sedlacek
Nov 2, 2007, 12:53 PM

Along similar lines. Will TM complain if use two adequately sized HDs? As a MBP owner having TM back things up to a HD located at work and then doing it's thing to another HD located at home would be ideal. That way I'd have dual backups in two separate locations and it sure beats dragging alone the HD everywhere my mac goes.

So the question is (before I go investing in a second HD): will TM treat each HD as a separate stand alone backup or is TM forced to recognized only one HD?

TIA

-a
--------------
MBP-2.33GHz/3GB/15-inch
TiBk-667MHz/768MB/15-inch
Lomdard-333MHz/384MB/15-inch
PB-3400/20MHz/144MB/12.1-inch

Forum Links
Forum Rules