Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Aren't The Liberals Responsible For High Gas Prices?

Aren't The Liberals Responsible For High Gas Prices?
Apr 8, 2008, 04:44 PM

If our country could pump oil from the so-called "environmentally protected" areas instead of being dependent on the Middle Eastern crude, wouldn't we (the United States) and other countries be in a much better position?

So many areas of this country are now off-limits to drilling (the Gulf of Mexico; Alaska, etc.,) because of environmentalist agendas.

If we could actually produce our own oil instead of depending on other countries we would provide jobs in our country, boost our own economy, and add to the oil reserves available to the rest of the world.

Instead we're at $111.80+ a barrel today and it's going higher.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 04:58 PM

This has been dealt with in other threads, the short answer is 'no'.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 04:59 PM

You don't think the US produces oil already?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2008, 04:59 PM

Do you really want an answer, or is this a troll?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 05:04 PM

I suspect a troll. Sounds too Ann Coulteresque.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2008, 05:08 PM

I guess this is the case with Ann too, but there are things in her post that brush against someone who knows someone who has an uncle with a valid point.

It's also just so gosh darn good natured, every response I've come up with so far felt like I was kicking a puppy.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by  View Post
If our country could pump oil from the so-called "environmentally protected" areas instead of being dependent on the Middle Eastern crude, wouldn't we (the United States) and other countries be in a much better position?

So many areas of this country are now off-limits to drilling (the Gulf of Mexico; Alaska, etc.,) because of environmentalist agendas.

If we could actually produce our own oil instead of depending on other countries we would provide jobs in our country, boost our own economy, and add to the oil reserves available to the rest of the world.

Instead we're at $111.80+ a barrel today and it's going higher.
I'm sure if they were going to pump oil from your community you wouldn't be down with it.

"Let someone else deal with an oil rig, I'm to stubborn to pay for the cheapest gas in the world!"

Get over it, you can afford current gas prices. It's going to get worse so maybe that Suburban of yours isn't in your price range anymore.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 05:23 PM

Same can be said for the Nuke plants too.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 05:27 PM

I love that they are 'so-called "environmentally protected"' areas. I guess they are called that because they are 'environmentally protected'?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 05:27 PM

Same can be said for the CapeWind project. The rich people in Nantucket decided they didn't want an awesome wind farm off the coast. Not only would it barely be visible from land on a clear day, Nantucket is ALWAYS windy.

What do they care? The coal plant and Nuke plant are in poor people's backyards, not theirs.
( Last edited by sek929; Apr 9, 2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: company is called CapeWind not CapeAir)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2008, 07:39 PM

If and when Americans see gas hit $4.00 next year they'll start really beating at the doors of the Congressmen. It's not quite painful enough for the country yet to produce the needed clamor for additional supply. When it becomes the focus of polls politicians will take notice.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 07:42 PM

Why should politicians try to regulate the price of gas? Gas needs to be around five times the price it is now, but regardless, it's always funny to hear conservatives clamoring for socialized gasoline.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 07:46 PM

Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
I post before you today to seek permission to change my beloved but well-worn signature to this Quote of Quality™.

greg

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Apr 8, 2008, 09:29 PM

Liberal responsible for high gas prices? - you could just as well say conservatives dragged their heels to the table to start investing in alternative energy sources. Either way it's not that simple. I'd rather it's the citizens themselves who are to blame. Drill in Alaska so I can pick up my kid in a Chevy Suburban. Go to Europe and see just how many people drive a suburban sized rigs.Very few. If we consumed on par with the rest of the industrialized world, then perhaps we wouldn't need all the oil we seem to do. Consume less and there's less demand, and prices may go down. Of course that was before China and India. Now they look at the US and say "Who the **** are you to tell us to use less oil. They are quire right.

(op)
Apr 8, 2008, 10:49 PM

Nicely spoken from Martha's Vineyard where life is oh-so-tough.

tie
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 11:25 PM

Gas prices are high because OPEC chooses to make them high. OPEC chooses to make them high because they know that the US, under Bush, will do nothing to reduce oil consumption no matter how high the prices are. An additional 10-15% of the gas price comes from the Iraq war.

So no, it is your fault. Send me a check if you'd like to take responsibility.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 11:26 PM

not so much liberals or conservationists, but environmentalists
Owlgore was advocating $5 a gallon prices via gas taxes, as they are in in most of the EU. It is not so much the "protected" areas, but any area, even current oil fields are off limits. As I mentioned in another thread; every time the US makes move towards more domestic production OPEC, like any smart dope dealer, drops prices to keep us hooked on their product.
45/47

(op)
Apr 8, 2008, 11:29 PM

every time the US makes move towards more domestic production OPEC, like any smart dope dealer, drops prices to keep us hooked on their product.
Great comment.

Next thing you know the Saudis will be demanding that we buy their oil in Euros only, also.

Meanwhile, Al "Hypocrite" Gore keeps on flying his "green" private jets all over the planet on the way to parties that celebrate "going green."

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 12:06 AM

Nice troll - when your initial troll gets dismissed so completely, post an inflammatory but irrelevant comment about a prominent progressive!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 12:13 AM

Even if you could pump every drop of crude in America, you couldn't even come close to removing America's dependence on Middle Eastern crude.

There are only two ways American can end it's dependence on Middle Eastern crude:
1. Make Middle Eastern crude american crude
2. End America's dependence on crude, Middle Eastern or otherwise.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Why should politicians try to regulate the price of gas? Gas needs to be around five times the price it is now, but regardless, it's always funny to hear conservatives clamoring for socialized gasoline.
I didn't say regulate. Do just what the OP is advocating - remove government impediments to greater domestic levels of production.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 01:34 AM

It's very easy to understand, we're using up everyone else's oil before we thoroughly tap the resources we have available (ANWR and such). When countries in the ME start running out or slowing production, by an appreciable amount, we'll be displacing wildlife so fast it'll give you (and them) whiplash.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 02:40 AM

You mean like now, Shaddim?

I personally think that there's a huge premium in the price of oil due to Iraq. The price of oil was around $40 pre-invasion. . .

OreoCookie
Apr 9, 2008, 04:14 AM

`Liberals' are not responsible for what OPEC decides. Plus, they weren't the ones who decided to go to Iraq no matter what (they went along with it, though). The independence on Middle Eastern oil is nothing but a pipe dream.

To think that oil prices -- something that's dependent on international politics, particularly demand -- can be regulated by one nation is naïve. I mean this in both ways.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 06:40 AM

Realizing of course that it is not poor people driving around in Prius', it's funny to see liberals propose a policy of "sock it to the poor".
ebuddy

(op)
Apr 9, 2008, 09:25 AM

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Even if you could pump every drop of crude in America, you couldn't even come close to removing America's dependence on Middle Eastern crude.

There are only two ways American can end it's dependence on Middle Eastern crude:
1. Make Middle Eastern crude american crude
2. End America's dependence on crude, Middle Eastern or otherwise.
Exactly. As has been firmly established in another thread on exactly this topic, the amount of oil in ANWAR is about a year's worth of US consumption. That's about the same amount of oil as would be saved by everyone running their tires at the right pressure. Destroying America's last wild areas for this amount of oil is counterproductive and stupid, and won't make any substantial impact on oil prices or availability.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 12:29 PM

Nicely spoken from Martha's Vineyard where life is oh-so-tough.

So life is easy on an island where everything is double the price? You should see gas prices on MV and Nantucket.

Once again, why are we bitching about gas prices when we get the cheapest fuel in the world?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 12:32 PM

Meanwhile, Al "Hypocrite" Gore keeps on flying his "green" private jets all over the planet on the way to parties that celebrate "going green."
How else would he travel the world to spread awareness, on a f**king bicycle?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
It's very easy to understand, we're using up everyone else's oil before we thoroughly tap the resources we have available (ANWR and such). When countries in the ME start running out or slowing production, by an appreciable amount, we'll be displacing wildlife so fast it'll give you (and them) whiplash.
I'd have to agree with you. Once the ME starts running low they'll realize they've lost the only thing that made them important in any way.

American oil companies aren't dumb, they are keeping their oil to themselves and buying it cheap off of everyone else.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
How else would he travel the world to spread awareness, on a f**king bicycle?
He could fly steerage coach

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 12:49 PM

Just hope he doesn't sit next to people like Buckaroo...

"I read a blog comment that PROVES you are a phony and cult-leader!"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 12:53 PM

Just a note for those who may be unaware, the largest supplier of oil to the US is Canada.

Next thing you know the Saudis will be demanding that we buy their oil in Euros only, also.
Actually, the Saudis are adamant that the US dollar be kept for oil pricing, while their partners in OPEC are demanding moving away from the US dollar.

Mind you it all evens out in the end, because as the lousy US buck gets lousier, the prices simply eventually go up in US$.

Yup. Al Gore himself is responsible for the world's high oil prices.

P.S. Not that I'm a fan of Gore or anything, and I don't agree with his jetting around in private jets wasting fuel, but it should be noted that Gore actually purchases carbon offsets for much of his use. Yeah, he may be a hypocrite, but it's not as if that's a big surprise anyway.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 9, 2008 at 01:05 PM. )

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 12:53 PM

Destroying America's last wild areas for this amount of oil is counterproductive and stupid, and won't make any substantial impact on oil prices or availability.
Though, it would make alot of money for a handful of people.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Apr 9, 2008, 04:26 PM

"Nicely spoken from Martha's Vineyard where life is oh-so-tough."

Nice place to visit, and wonderful if you can afford it, but this island happens to be the poorest county in the state. Most here scrape by til the summer season.

btw - Unleaded is running about 3.90 a gallon here already.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by RobOnTheCape View Post
"Nicely spoken from Martha's Vineyard where life is oh-so-tough."

Nice place to visit, and wonderful if you can afford it, but this island happens to be the poorest county in the state. Most here scrape by til the summer season.
What's with the Class War posturing?

btw - Unleaded is running about 3.90 a gallon here already.
It needs to be about five times more than that.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 04:51 PM

It needs to be about five times more than that.
For what?

I do agree though that Americans complain far too much about gas prices, considering they're way lower in the US than in most other countries.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 04:59 PM

I try not to complain but the rate they're going up at is annoying.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Apr 9, 2008, 04:59 PM

No class warfare here. I noticed the smile and know how the comment was meant. Just wanted to correct a common misnomer. Sorry to derail.
btw - I think if we consumed less, we wouldn't have such prices. Thus I disagree about the need for gas prices to be 5 x more expensive. Flourescent lighting, fewer SUVs, higher mpg minimums, solar/wind/radiant/passive solar, and countless other ways we can reduce dependency on foreign oil could help tremendously.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 05:09 PM

Flourescent lighting, fewer SUVs, higher mpg minimums, solar/wind/radiant/passive solar, and countless other ways we can reduce dependency on foreign oil could help tremendously.
I agree with that.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 05:29 PM

Flourescent lighting, fewer SUVs, higher mpg minimums, solar/wind/radiant/passive solar, and countless other ways we can reduce dependency on foreign oil could help tremendously.
I agree with that.
Yes, those are all excellent ways to reduce dependency on OPEC oil, but not in my back yard is what you get.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Yes, those are all excellent ways to reduce dependency on OPEC oil, but not in my back yard is what you get.

Maybe with the florescent lighting.

I mean, ewwww.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 06:02 PM

Have you seen modern fluorescent lighting? Perhaps you have and didn't realise that it was fluorescent. Certainly I would vote for fewer SUVs and less tailpipe emissions in my back yard - have you seen the air quality in some major US cities lately? Solar panels don't need to go in your yard, but can go on your roof or in the desert, so few people actually object to those, leaving wind, which I'll give you - that stirs up controversy over sites.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 06:09 PM

Have you seen modern fluorescent lighting? Perhaps you have and didn't realise that it was fluorescent.

It's useless to me if I can't slap a dimmer on it.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 06:15 PM

"Dim lighting is the sub-ego's best friend"
-Sigmund Freud

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 06:17 PM

I went out and bought a bunch of dimmable compact fluorescent bulbs. Cost me $$$. They suck. Or at least the couple of brands I bought (the only ones available locally, including GE) sucked.

The minimum light output is much higher than the minimum light output of tungsten light bulbs, and even worse, the colour is this sickly yellow grey when dimmed. Apparently there are light bulbs out there with better colour, but they cost twice as much and still have the too-high-minimum-light-output problem (assuming they're even dimmable in the first place).

As for solar panels on the roof, they cost an arm and a leg to install, and around here would be problematic because of the amount of snow buildup.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Wah wah wah
Well, it is true that for any solution, there are some applications and places where it is not suitable. While it's fascinating that you absolutely must dim every bulb you have, but most people don't do that. Likewise living in Siberia - for most people that isn't an issue.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 06:37 PM

It's obvious people (Americans especially) love driving big SUVs and pickups. I think a large portion of the problem stems from the auto companies. They keep lobbying (bribing) the Congress to keep SUVs labeled as light pickups. They're the new minivan, plain and simple.

The technology is cheap enough and it is available to have big huge SUVs and raised 4x4 pickups get 40 mpg, but then the auto companies wouldn't get kickbacks from the government.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 06:42 PM

Why don't car companies make 2 wheel drive versions of SUVs for the 99% of the market whose only off road experience is the supermarket parking lot?

Forum Links
Forum Rules