Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Overclocking 8800 in the iMac

Overclocking 8800 in the iMac
underwood
Forum Regular
May 30, 2008, 11:14 PM

Is it possible to overclock the underclocked 8800GT in the high end iMac under bootcamped XP?

I know its underclocked for heat reasons but I guess amping it up + amping up the fan is possible. But well I dunno.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2008, 04:05 AM

The answer is YES! You'll needed to use RivaTuner but also most will say this is more geared towards MacPro's for the reason that you may need to change your Fan too?
I've only seen MacPro users so far do this overclocking so do report back for any others whom maybe interested in doing the same.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2008, 12:09 PM

Sure, it's just like any other nVidia GPU... download the usual (Coolbits, ATITool, RivaTuner, etc) and go crazy.

Note it's desktop 8800 GS, so I doubt there's much overclocking headroom in the iMac enclosure; not sure if heat or power consumption will stop you first.

P
Jun 1, 2008, 05:02 AM

Do we know that it's a desktop 8800GS? That model does not support 512 MB of RAM (only 384 or 768MB, because of the odd 192 bit memory bus), so I always doubted that. More likely, IMO, is an 8800M GTX or similar. Has anyone checked the exact model reported by Windows?
( Last edited by P; Jun 1, 2008 at 11:41 AM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Do we know that it's a desktop 8800GS? That model does not support 512 MB of RAM (only 384 or 768MB, because of the odd 192 bit memory bus), so I always doubted that. More likely, IMO, is an 8800M GTX or similar. Has anyone checked the exact model reported by Windows?
Augh, more of Apple's video card rebranding shenanigans? I just saw 8800GS and knew there wasn't a mobile part that nVidia calls that.

P
Jun 1, 2008, 04:29 PM

I think that they don't want to advertise that there is a mobile part in the iMac - they have stopped showing the CPU model numbers completely - so they advertise the closest equivalent desktop part. Really, really annoying. Can't someone who has one please reboot into Windows and check what chip it really is?

underwood  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2008, 02:04 PM

read on macrumors forum. its actually a 8800m GTS.

and here i was expecting an underclocked 8800GT kinda disappointing.
( Last edited by underwood; Jun 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules