Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Who's buying right after MacWorld...?

Who's buying right after MacWorld...?
Bigfoot
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2007, 01:31 PM

I for one have a fire burning in my pocket. Whatever the news is next week, I'll be ordering a new MacPro. If its an Octo for the same price as current models thats what I'll order. If the Octo is the top of the line and they drop the pricing of the quad's then I'll probably order one with two super drives and a crap load of ram. And to top it off with a cherry, perhaps one of the new (rumored) displays. Also rumored over at the NAMM show is a Digidesign 003 (seeing the 002's are being blown out).

Yes indeed the plastic will be melting over the next few weeks.
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

pantie sniffer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 01:49 PM

Geek!

mugzey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
I for one have a fire burning in my pocket. Whatever the news is next week, I'll be ordering a new MacPro. If its an Octo for the same price as current models thats what I'll order. If the Octo is the top of the line and they drop the pricing of the quad's then I'll probably order one with two super drives and a crap load of ram. And to top it off with a cherry, perhaps one of the new (rumored) displays. Also rumored over at the NAMM show is a Digidesign 003 (seeing the 002's are being blown out).

Yes indeed the plastic will be melting over the next few weeks.
We're getting a new Mac Pro for my graphis suite at work. We've been waiting for Macworld to see what they will do. Hopefully there will be an 8 core. I think at most we can wait till theend of January, but then we're going to have to go ahead and order one. It's even better when it's someone elses plastic that's melting!
----------------------------
Thomas Fitzgerald - Digital Artist
Check Out My Mac Blog

--------------------

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2007, 04:46 PM

The keynote is usually on or near my birthday, so I normally buy "something"...

I can't wait for all the cool features of Leopard!
My Blog-pakos.me

arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2007, 05:10 PM

If indeed there are new displays, I will be placing an order once they are available.

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2007, 07:46 PM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2007, 08:05 PM

A friend of mine will order the 10-12" MB or 10-13" MBP the day it's launched; her 12" PB is on its last legs.

nspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 01:08 AM

Waiting for a newer Quad and hoping for new vid cards as well as displays!

nthd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 11:30 AM

I'm selling my not so reliable dual 2.0 mbp and getting the octo core I've been waiting for for a year. And the itv if its hd capable.

danviento
Jan 6, 2007, 01:17 PM

I'd love to have a MP for the power, but I'm waiting for the day we see something like the Cell GPU (think PS3) in the machine, then you know you've got all the processing power you need to blaze through renderings and animations I need in my line of work.

Awaiting the day...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by danviento View Post
I'd love to have a MP for the power, but I'm waiting for the day we see something like the Cell GPU (think PS3) in the machine, then you know you've got all the processing power you need to blaze through renderings and animations I need in my line of work.
Not going to happen. Cell sucks for general purpose work, and even for applications it would be good for, it's very hard to program for.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2007, 03:08 PM

I'll be ordering a new Mac Pro next week after Jobs' keynote along with two or three 22" or 24" displays as well.

godrifle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 11:19 PM

I've got 10 grand budgeted at my new position (started Jan. 2), and am axiously awaiting Jan. 9th announcements to see what I'm going to spend it on. I have a 23" Cinema Display at home, and was considering dual 23s, but am really unhappy with the ghosting on mine. I'm hoping for new monitors, otherwise I (yuck) may have to go with the new Dell 24"... [I just literally shivered]

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2007, 11:46 PM

With a 10k budget, I'd be looking toward the 30 (from Dell or Apple).

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
A friend of mine will order the 10-12" MB or 10-13" MBP the day it's launched; her 12" PB is on its last legs.
Mark -- how is it on its last legs? I'm typing this on my 12-inch PB (ordered in high excitement after the 2003 expo) and, while it gets bogged down sometimes with four people using it, it still works fine.

Just wondering...

(On the other hand, I'm going to order a new desktop after the xpo -- and if I had the cash, I'd probably get an upgraded laptop too, as thi sone is getting a littel slow.)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
Mark -- how is it on its last legs? I'm typing this on my 12-inch PB (ordered in high excitement after the 2003 expo) and, while it gets bogged down sometimes with four people using it, it still works fine.
It's a 1.33Ghz from ~2005. Sometimes the lid doesn't want to latch shut (the hook doesn't come down far enough). Sometimes it doesn't want to go to sleep. Sometimes it doesn't want to turn on; sometimes removing the battery helps, sometimes it doesn't. The performance is miserable (Tiger on 256MB), but it's not worth upgrading since it's going to be replaced soon.

masugu
Senior User
Jan 8, 2007, 01:52 AM

Hmm...I am thinking iPhone (sorry CISCO) new iPods - but mebbe a lite Mac Notebook (finally) on Tuesday. Heard iTV is still cooking.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

mugzey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by masugu View Post
Hmm...I am thinking iPhone (sorry CISCO) new iPods - but mebbe a lite Mac Notebook (finally) on Tuesday. Heard iTV is still cooking.
Yeah - I would love to see a sub notebook from Apple.
----------------------------
Thomas Fitzgerald - Digital Artist
Check Out My Mac Blog

--------------------

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 10:28 AM

100% iTV for sure. Probably an 8 core Mac Pro before the spring for the upcoming wedding
season (video production)

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by masugu View Post
I heard that CISCO/Linksys own the right to the name iPhone, and have done for some time. It may just be a rumour, but if they do, I wonder what Apple will call theirs? Maybe the iFone? Heh.

onlyone-jc.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 06:49 PM

now maybe im crazy but(im just not computer inards savy) could you put a Vcard in the screen and bypass needing one in the computer? what would that do?

Nugget
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 07:19 PM

I want a 15" Macbook Pro with an HD screen (1920x1200).
No more eSATA dealbreaker? You're slipping.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2007, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by godrifle View Post
I've got 10 grand budgeted at my new position (started Jan. 2), and am axiously awaiting Jan. 9th announcements to see what I'm going to spend it on. I have a 23" Cinema Display at home, and was considering dual 23s, but am really unhappy with the ghosting on mine. I'm hoping for new monitors, otherwise I (yuck) may have to go with the new Dell 24"... [I just literally shivered]
FYI, people aren't talking about this in reviews but the lastest crop of 24" LCDs really throws off too much heat (As in i feel it radiating off the front of the displays). I've got two 24" Gateways right now and I'm returning them both for three Spectre 22" displays (the new 1200:1 contrast panels) as soon as I get my new Mac Pro that I hope to order Tuesday. Keep the heat in mind if you're planning on running more than one of the new 1000:1 contrast 24" LCDs.

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2007, 03:56 AM

Give Us New Displays! So I Can Order An Old One At A Decent Price!!!
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

dankar
Jan 9, 2007, 06:56 AM

iLife 07, iWork 07 and a new 23" screen...

P
Jan 9, 2007, 08:27 AM

Not going to happen. Cell sucks for general purpose work, and even for applications it would be good for, it's very hard to program for.
No, but a stream processor - something between Cell and a Geforce 8800 might happen. That's where both ATi/AMD and nVidia are aiming.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 04:12 PM

Looks like we are all still waiting...

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 05:13 PM

Hm. No iLife 07, no iWork 07, no Mac Pro update, no Mac Mini Update. No displays update.

What a decidedly un-Macintosh Macworld!
Linkinus is king.

Bigfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 05:14 PM

I for one have a fire burning in my pocket...
The fire still burns. No macpro, no reduced pricing on existing models, no displays. A big fat thud.

iPhone? I don't get it. Spiffy and all, but how any folks besides me are locked into contract with other carriers? And as if just talking on the phone isn't enough to make you drive as if drunk... imaging navigating that menu while driving. How about just a wide screen ipod w/o the phone. I'd buy one today.

iTV...? I don't get this one either. I watch TV. I play/work/listen on a Mac. I have no need to hookup my Mac to the TV. But that's just me.

Oh, I'm just cranky I can't spend this money... yet.
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Hm. No iLife 07, no iWork 07, no Mac Pro update, no Mac Mini Update. No displays update.

What a decidedly un-Macintosh Macworld!
Maybe the next couple of days will shed some light.....I hope...

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by arng1 View Post
Maybe the next couple of days will shed some light.....I hope...
That's what I'm hoping. And here I was hoping to figure out what to buy (imac or lowest-end tower). Now I'm thinking I might just wait a little longer. Then again, I might just have to bite the bullet and get something. I just don't know.

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 05:32 PM

Well, with the new airport I'd say that the lineup gets refreshed sometime in the not too distant future to match, but then again, I have no idea. I also thought that the iPhone would be avaiable to all carriers. Oh, well.

arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by bbales View Post
That's what I'm hoping. And here I was hoping to figure out what to buy (imac or lowest-end tower). Now I'm thinking I might just wait a little longer. Then again, I might just have to bite the bullet and get something. I just don't know.
Yeah, it can be a bit frustrating.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2007, 05:37 PM

Well I ordered a 3 GHz Mac Pro with 2 GB RAMM, and a 1900XT video card. I ordered on of the refurb machines and they knocked another $200.00 off that price so I ordered a copy of Final Cut Express too. I've got a WD 500 GB HDD on order for it elsewhere and I picked up a 7300 GT video card off of ebay for $60.00. I need to order some more RAMM though. Good news CompUSA honors a military discount on stuff so I got XP and parallels for a song.

When it all comes in I'll run over to a local computer store and pick up three Spectre 22" displays and return the pair of Gateway 24" display that are throwing off way too much ambient heat.

All in all, I'll be pretty happy I think once I've got it set up.

Bigfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
...When it all comes in I'll run over to a local computer store and pick up three Spectre 22" displays and return the pair of Gateway 24" display that are throwing off way too much ambient heat...
For the money the Spectre looks pretty good. Thanks for the heads up on these.

gregarios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 07:21 PM

The fire still burns. No macpro, no reduced pricing on existing models, no displays. A big fat thud.
Oh, I'm just cranky I can't spend this money... yet.
Oh me too! Where's the new Macs, speedbumps, or at least price reductions?! :-) I've got $3200 burning away waiting for the next version of the 24"(+) iMac...

nspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 08:20 PM

disappointing keynote imo...
the iphone isnt going to be released until june anyway, so why introduce it now?
i was looking forward to new video cards, as well as improved displays

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 12:07 AM

I just got a 2.66 with the ATI. I've been waiting for... damn, 9 months now.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2007, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by nspire View Post
disappointing keynote imo...
the iphone isnt going to be released until june anyway, so why introduce it now?
i was looking forward to new video cards, as well as improved displays
Jobs stated so that the FCC doesn't release the phone which is a valisd point but now there will be six more monbths of people like myself who refuse to buy another phone and get locked into a contract in anticipation of getting an iPhone.

I think the new displays and faster Mac towers are coming in just a few months from the buzz I'm hearing from investing sites.

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2007, 01:19 PM

i thought jobs had to introduce the iphone now because the FCC would spill the beans before it was ready to ship anyway, and he'd rather tell the world himself.

i'm dissapointed too. i thought apple would at least update some BTO specs for its machines at macworld.

not that i care because im not in the market.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2007, 03:22 PM

Built a monster 2.66 a month ago, so glad I did before years end for tax reasons, wicked quick and no revision envy.
'
I think I have this upgrade stuff down pat..:-)
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Peligro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 05:11 PM

So I was one of the people that was waiting for a price drop/upgrade to the Mac Pro. I know that some of you were doing the same. Now what are you guys going to do? I'm getting an itchy trigger finger and need some support. help me out!

nspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Peligro View Post
So I was one of the people that was waiting for a price drop/upgrade to the Mac Pro. I know that some of you were doing the same. Now what are you guys going to do? I'm getting an itchy trigger finger and need some support. help me out!

Initially I was planing on getting one anyway, right after macworld. But many are saying that something may come out within a few weeks/months...I'm going to wait, simply because a new video card+new displays will for sure be released and worth the wait! At least so im hoping ehhe
The only reason I was looking to purchase was to use FCP...but it can wait

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Peligro View Post
Do what I did: order one of Apple's refurb Mac Pros out of the deals section of Apple's online store.

Every day Apple posts more refurb machines and during the day they sell them and then they post more refurb machines so I'd just call Apple and ask about them if the web site doesn't list any refurb Mac Pros. It knocks 15-18% off the price of the Mac.

Personally, I suspect the refurbs apple is selling are machines that Apple used internally since they are all built out from stock.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2007, 10:02 PM

ersonally, I suspect the refurbs apple is selling are machines that Apple used internally since they are all built out from stock.
Nope, those would be second user, not refurb. Refurb applies to returns and repaired systems only. All AOU (Apple Own Use) hardware comes -from- the refurb pile, not -to- it (at least not without the Openheimer sign-off).

nspire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 10:53 PM

Do what I did: order one of Apple's refurb Mac Pros out of the deals section of Apple's online store.

Every day Apple posts more refurb machines and during the day they sell them and then they post more refurb machines so I'd just call Apple and ask about them if the web site doesn't list any refurb Mac Pros. It knocks 15-18% off the price of the Mac.

Personally, I suspect the refurbs apple is selling are machines that Apple used internally since they are all built out from stock.
I would personally not do that! If you're going to spend that much money, why not just throw in the extra couple hundred bucks or so and get a brand new machine?

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2007, 11:13 PM

My last two Macs have been open box or refurbished. No big deal to me: same warrantee, less money.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by nspire View Post
I would personally not do that! If you're going to spend that much money, why not just throw in the extra couple hundred bucks or so and get a brand new machine?
The 15-30% (and sometimes 40%) savings on a refurb Mac can easily be close to a grand. As much as most of us would like to have that kind of cash to throw in "just for a new machine", we can get a much better machine by taking one that Apple fixed.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2007, 12:19 AM

I must wait. I have no choice. Nothing Apple discussed are useful up North, and I was hoping for ilife, Leopard preview etc...
My Blog-pakos.me

Bigfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2007, 10:06 AM

Well my allocation for a new macpro just went towards a new thickness planer and jointer for my shop. Sorry Steve (like this hurts him). I'll have to fill the coffers again for a spring purchase.

This Macworld reminds me of the scene from Christmas Vacation where Clark is expecting his annual bonus and just gets a gift for "Jelly of the Month Club." I think we need to send Cousin Eddie over to Steve's house.

Forum Links
Forum Rules