Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook external monitor

iBook external monitor
Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 02:35 PM

I know the iBook comes with a VGA adapter, but I haven't been able to find a good monitor to use with it. For everyone who uses an external monitor with their iBooks, what do you use or what can you recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brandon

Nodnarb  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 08:15 PM

No one uses an external monitor with their iBook?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by brandon420506:
I know the iBook comes with a VGA adapter, but I haven't been able to find a good monitor to use with it. For everyone who uses an external monitor with their iBooks, what do you use or what can you recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brandon
I use my old 17" CRT. It's almost as clear as the LCD and when I'm using that plus an external keyboard and mouse I sometimes forget I'm using a notebook.

zacharydz
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2004, 09:16 PM

My IT department here at college was getting rid of some old CRTs, so I picked up an old 19 inch trinitron for $45. I'm running it at 1600 by 1200 resolution, which is quite nice. It works fine. You can find used CRTs for very little money since everybody wants flat screens.
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2004, 02:48 PM

remember that with the spanning enabled a second moniter is bliss

i scored a blue&white 17inch moniter free, because one of the pins was bent and the person didnt want it, bent the pin back and its great

but pretty much any moniter is fine, without spanning though and just mirroring kinda sucks since you are stuck at 1024x768
w3rd..
surrey represent

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2004, 09:54 AM

I'm using a Gateway VX700 (really a Mitsubishi Diamondpro 710) 17" CRT on my iBook. I run it at 1280x960 @ 85hz. I'd bump it up higher, but 1600x1200 is at 66hz on this monitor. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 17" LCD at some stage, although would like a widescreen monitor. I'm not sure how easy it would be to find one that has a VGA connector though.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Finrock
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2004, 01:02 PM

I use an old Blueberry 15" Apple LCD with my iBook G3/800. I use the spanning hack and it works great! I couldn't live without the spanning hack!
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

grand mufti
Nov 9, 2004, 04:35 PM

**** googled it hmmm i saw some bad reviews on the spanning i think ill stay away i have bad luck with this stuff.

spanning hack? im new.... i would use my graphics series viewsonic i have but the 1024/768 looks like crap on it so i use it for my PC but i know i would use my ibook more if it looked nice.
( Last edited by grand mufti; Nov 9, 2004 at 04:56 PM. )

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 06:18 PM

This is what you're after:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

It does 2 things:

1. Lets you extend the desktop across two screens. So the menu bar and dock etc are on the screen you set as primary, and you can just drag any programs you like across to the other screen. I often leave iTunes running on my iBook's LCD, but have everything else on my external monitor (including the dock)

2. Unlocks all possible resolutions. With my trinitron based 17" CRT, my iBook lets me choose anything from 640x480 to 1600x1200, and with everything inbetween including weird ones like 1344x1008.

When you install it I recommend you don't allow clamshell mode. For one, the iBook would probably get too hot if it was operating with the lid shut, but I also found when I tried it that my iBook got quite confused about which screen to use.

If you ever want to remove it, either run the uninstall feature in the program, or reset your PRAM (when booting up hold down 'command-option-p-r' until you hear a second chime).
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Finrock:
I use the spanning hack and it works great! I couldn't live without the spanning hack!
Where would one find this fabled hack?

Nevermind, I see it now.
Troy Murray

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 10:01 PM

I have an iBook G4/12"/800 and have used the spanning hack since day 1. Haven't had problems with it (nor would I know since I've not used the iBook without it).

I use AOC's 7KLRa 17" monitor. Good resolution, sharpness, and refresh rate. If you have sensitive eyes (or are just plain picky), get a monitor with at least 100Hz refresh rate at the resolution you want to work at (85Hz is fine).

Forum Links
Forum Rules