Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Buying a higher end digital camera... which lenses?

Buying a higher end digital camera... which lenses?
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2008, 10:59 PM

So, I'm going to start "getting serious" about photography, and thought I would invest in a good digital camera. I really don't know much about lenses, and don't want this to become a (Canon vs. Nikon debate).

I'm most likely going to get a Canon EOS 40D (or the equivalent later this year, but wanted to know what lenses people would recommend picking up and in what order (I'm not made of money :-)

My primary uses:
While I'll be doing general photography, I'm most interested in event photography (handling press events, small parties, etc. [no weddings]). I'd also be interested in real estate photography.

Obviously I'd need some type of wide angle lens, a standard lens, but what I'm most interested in is buying lenses that will be useful in the future (should I get a better camera down the line).

Thoughts? (or questions you can think of)

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Jan 5, 2008, 11:16 PM

I know you said you didn't want this to become a Canon vs Nikon thread so I won't turn it into that because I use neither.

I use an Olympus E-410 and I must say it's one of those cameras you love or hate. I love mine. It came with two lenses, one zoom and one wide-angle lense. I really love the quality and the price point was excellent. The photos I have taken are of really good quality and I honestly love it. I love the response of the shutter and just the feel of the camera. The only problem I have come across is if you happen to use the auto settings the exposure seems to be a little dark, but hey this is a DSLR why would you use auto settings? But I honestly love this camera and if it's okay I'll post some pictures I took with the camera.

Here is one I shot with our camps Canon. Not the same application but I just loved this photo but love the olympus as it was smaller, out of the way, and still same comparable quality.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2008, 11:20 PM

Those are some great photos... and that's the type of stuff that I'm interested in doing. My company does stuff with kids, and we get some really great speakers from time to time. Obviously I'd like to take advantage of those situations.

I'm not taking any cameras off the list, but could you provide specifics about which lenses you own?

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 11:28 PM

Out of all my lenses, my Canon 50mm 1.4 is my most used. Unfortunately on a 40D, it wouldn't be a normal lens, it would be more like an 80mm lens.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Jan 5, 2008, 11:28 PM

Sure. The lenses, like I said earlier, come with the camera. They are more expensive without the camera.

the first lens is a Zukio 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Lens
"Sturdy and versatile lens delivers stunning images even as close as 15"

the second one is a Zukio 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 Lens
"This portable lens with a 3.8x zoom is perfect for Sports photography." Thats the wide angle I'm talking about.

here is the website to the camera. EVOLT E-410

If you do a lot of speakers and do a lot with kids I will say this camera is relatively "safe" as it is smaller and more lightweight so you will be less noticeable. That's a problem we have at our camp is with our Canon's the kids notice the camera and you quickly lose the shot, but with the Olympus it is much smaller and the kids do not notice it unless they are looking or you make yourself obvious so you get a great capture shot. I will say that if you need to be quiet the Olympus' shutter is rather loud. Louder than the Canon but it wasn't enough to distract people during a prayer.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2008, 11:46 PM

Starting with the lens(es) you might want and working backward is smart.

When I started in with this research last year, I became quite compelled by the compact size and performance of Pentax's pancakes. Unique among current auto-focus lenses, e.g., the 70mm

which led me to the interesting and satisfying K10D.

I've ended up with a kit of a number of prime lenses -- fast, and compared to other brands, inexpensive. I started wide with a 21mm, which I use for interiors shots, but then fell in love with a 77mm for portraits. Then a 43mm for portraits, and back to a 31mm, as the wider lens can be shot with slower speeds with regards to handshake (although it should be said the Pentax anti-shake mechanism is good for a stop or two). Now I alternate between the 31 and the 77, with other lenses just for taking pictures of work.

It's fun. Once you find a variety of lenses that might interest you, be sure to hold the bodies in your hands, and see what feels good. With the quality of dSLR offerings these days, most cameras are far more capable than their owners.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 6, 2008, 06:02 AM

i have many many thoughts on this topic. but first, how much do you anticipate spending on these lenses?

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2008, 06:11 AM

Olympus.
iamwhor3hay

OreoCookie
Jan 6, 2008, 07:26 AM

How much do you plan on spending?
In any case, you should invest money in glass rather than a body. I suggest you start with a 2.8/16/17-50 lens (e. g. Sigma or Tokina) and then work your way up. If you don't know much about lenses (and cameras, I presume), this will be a versatile lens to start with. Once you feel comfortable with it, you can expand your collection. Next up, I would say, is a 50-135/150 zoom (which are lighter and have a much better minimal focus distance than 70-200/300 zooms). If you plan on doing a lot indoors, I'd rather invest the money you have left over in a flash.

So I think body + 2.8/16-50 + flash is a good idea for indoor party shots. Forget about the built-in flash, once you have used an external flash, there is no going back. It's a pity Canon doesn't make an equivalent to the Nikon's SB-400.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2008, 11:22 AM

Last year I bought these two Canon lenses, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM - both really nice. Though I wish I could of bought (afford) the f/2.8L IS version of the 70-200mm as a couple of times an extra few stops would of been useful, though it is bigger and heavier than the f/4 which helps if you're carrying your gear around all the time. As I'm off to New Zealand next week for 4 weeks it will make it easier to carry.

The 24-105mm is the lens I keep on the body most of the time.

I'm looking for a wide angle lens now, either EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM or Sigma's 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG - can't decide.

As OreoCookie says, if you are going to shot indoors get a external flash gun. Not only will coverage be better you wont have problems of some of the bigger lenses casting shadows on the subject which the 24-105mm does if you leave the lens hood on and use the internal flash.
( Last edited by Nivag; Jan 6, 2008 at 11:28 AM. )

OreoCookie
Jan 6, 2008, 11:46 AM

I'm not sure the 24-105 has is sufficiently wide on a crop body (corresponds to roughly 40-160 on 35 mm) -- especially if you're taking pictures indoors. 16-50 corresponds to 24-75 -- which used to be the standard focal length on film.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I'm not sure the 24-105 has is sufficiently wide on a crop body (corresponds to roughly 40-160 on 35 mm) -- especially if you're taking pictures indoors. 16-50 corresponds to 24-75 -- which used to be the standard focal length on film.
I agree - one reason why i'm looking at the two wide zooms i mentioned. The 18-55 that came bundled with mine has been ok for most indoor stuff but not that great for landscapes i find.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2008, 03:45 PM

A good prime lens like the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 is an absolute must. I have one, along with my 85mm f/1.8 (my favorite lens).

If you need a good wide angle lens, the 17-40 f/4L is wide enough for a crop lens, but isn't an EF-S, which would be incompatible with a full-frame like the 5D down the road. It's not the fastest lens in the world, but pretty sharp, and seems to get good reviews.

For press events, you'll probably need a good telephoto, like the 70-200 series. There are four versions, f/2.8 and f/4, each with an IS version. The f/2.8 with IS is very expensive though ($1,700).

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Timo View Post
which led me to the interesting and satisfying K10D.
What Timo says. I own the exact same camera and could not be happier. I use a 16-45mm as my everyday lens and am very happy with it. I will be investing in the 21mm Timo talked about this year.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2008, 10:29 PM

I should start by stating I have been a die hard Canon guy for about 5 years... On that note, I am actually thinking about switching teams.

My brother bought a Pentax K10D clone (the Samsung GX-10) right before his daughter was born.

I liked it so much, I may sell off my Canon gear. I'm sure someone will say I am nuts, but hear me out..

1) In camera IS - it really does work and it saves money on glass

2) Weather sealing - My 30D has none. I hike, I camp, I shoot sports every now and then outside and the slightest sprinkle sends me running for a weather bag (I know I can't drop it in a lake, but I also know that to get a Canon w/ sealing is going to cost mucho $$$$)

3) Sensor cleaning - No brainer

4) Price - For what you get, you can't beat it w/ a stick

5) Build quality - Not sure what material makes up the frame (probably plastic at this price point) but it feels like it's bullet proof.

The negatives are a more limited amount of glass...and as far as I can tell, that's about it. Most of the Pentax glass seems to get pretty good reviews, but even the reviews are limited..High ISO (1600) looks fairly clean and w/ noise reduction apps, very usable.

And after this long message, I see Timo also recommends this..
Joe

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2008, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
So, I'm going to start "getting serious" about photography, and thought I would invest in a good digital camera. I really don't know much about lenses, and don't want this to become a (Canon vs. Nikon debate).

I'm most likely going to get a Canon EOS 40D (or the equivalent later this year, but wanted to know what lenses people would recommend picking up and in what order (I'm not made of money :-)

My primary uses:
While I'll be doing general photography, I'm most interested in event photography (handling press events, small parties, etc. [no weddings]). I'd also be interested in real estate photography.

Obviously I'd need some type of wide angle lens, a standard lens, but what I'm most interested in is buying lenses that will be useful in the future (should I get a better camera down the line).

Thoughts? (or questions you can think of)
Consider the Nikon D300. Very good low light.

Many event photographers shoot Canon, but this is because Canon used to be ahead in low light/low noise photography, which is no longer the case.

Regarding the lenses you really need to do your research. The camera is key, because you are buying into a system. There are different lenses for different usages. For even photography, you will probably use a fast zoom.

But it depends on you. What you want. You can shoot great images with a prime.

You are asking the right questions, but it'll take you a while to find the answers. Don't hurry your equipment purchase.

By the way: how long have you been shooting intensely? If you are just starting out, you might buy a simpler camera, and when you get to a level where you can ask people to pay you, there might already be a new generation of cameras out there. (I'm just saying this, as I don't know your level.)

Everybody has a DSLR today. What sets you apart will be the ability to use it that casual photographers can't. Don't forget the other gear that kind of sneaks up from behind like software, calibration tool, flashes (if you plan to use them), pocket wizards (belongs to flashes, not to black magic), storage media, external hard drive, business registration, advertisement,...

The 40D is definitely a good camera. Just check around. Look at Pentax, too, and what comes after the current 10D. Sony is what used to be Minolta (Konica-Minolta: with that name they had to go bust).

Get books. Nose around Amazon. (again, if you know all this, think I wrote it for others and don't take it personal).

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2008, 12:51 AM

I agree with the prior sentiments stressing the importance of the lens. I own a Canon EOS 350D (Digital Rebel XT.) In retrospect I should have ordered the body only rather than kit. I didn't know any better at the time but it didn't take long to realize that the kit lens truly is just a starter. Ideally I should have begun with something faster (like f/2.8) and higher quality. If you get a Canon camera I've heard good things about the Tamron f/2.8 28-75mm lens as a general-purpose walkabout lens. Additionally, I've been trying to purchase EF lenses rather than EF-S) so that I can still use them if (or when) I upgrade to one of the full-frame pro cameras later. Unfortunately, that means my widest lens is not all that wide on this camera.
( Last edited by dn15; Jan 8, 2008 at 12:57 AM. )

fabz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2008, 08:31 AM

I use mainly the 24-70 f2.8. Others I always have around are the 70-200 f4 and 50mm f1.4. I always advice primes but I understand they are not for every user. for wide angle I like the 17-40 f4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules