Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > URGENT: Immediate reaction desired

URGENT: Immediate reaction desired
HamSandwich
Jul 31, 2017, 12:25 PM

Hey everyone,

I have a terribly urgent request. I have made a mistake and I once posted the wrong things in the forums, a long time ago, many years. It can still be found on search engines. It is really important. If this doesn't get away, it's really not good. Please help me. I contacted the admin, reader50, but so far, there is no consensus.

Greetings, thanks for the great time in the forums and for the nice people. I had a great time here.
PeterParker - Ingmar

andi*pandi
Jul 31, 2017, 12:30 PM

Hi Peter,

As long as you have your password, you can pull a Daimoni. Go back in and delete all your post content and just leave "... " or [redacted].

If there are specific threads where someone has quoted your posts, you can send to admin or mod, hit report post button and put the ask there.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 31, 2017, 08:07 PM

Peter wanted to find a couple of his old posts. I found them. He wanted them deleted, I told him how to blank them out. We allow unlimited edit. He has wiped all the posts in question.

If he wants quotes of his posts removed, I said we can talk. But he wants us to delete a thread. Granted he started the thread, but there are over 50 posts by other people. People who have done nothing wrong, and have not given permission for their speech to be wiped. The thread is civil, and I see nothing wrong.

I told him I'm a stickler for free speech, but suggested he contact a Lounge Mod. Perhaps one of them would agree to do it, since it's not in my assigned forums.

OreoCookie
Jul 31, 2017, 08:25 PM

As a Lounge mod, I don't think it is reasonable to delete entire threads for the reasons that reader outlined. If there are specific reasons to edit other members' posts, e. g. in order to remove quotes, feel free to contact me. But I won't delete other members' content unless it is against forum rules or I have consent from the other members.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2017, 01:36 AM

Any way to re-assign his posts to a dummy account? Win/win?

HamSandwich
Aug 1, 2017, 02:59 AM

Hey my friends,

I'm sorry I started this thread so suddenly. It's really important to me though. Someone is really annoyed. I just made a mistake once and started the thread, it was really not right, I just crossed the limits once. It is probably the only mistake I ever made on the web. It's not good. I could get into actual trouble for this, I dunno, it's not alright. Please help me someone.

You can browse through the various reactions and see that they are not so useful. It's just a general debate on the topic. No depth. I don't really get the whole "freedom of speech" thing. I think it's rather about the violation of rights of me or someone else.

Please help.

Have a good time,
Greetings,
PeterParker

HamSandwich
Aug 1, 2017, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Any way to re-assign his posts to a dummy account? Win/win?
That would be an option, too. Then the whole debate would be over for good. I just want this to end... Thanks, Pete

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2017, 03:49 AM

What I think solves the problem with minimum impact is to vape his posts in that thread, and then edit out the quote attributions while leaving the quotes.

I have no idea how difficult this is to do from a moderator standpoint, or whether vaping an OP is possible without vaping the whole thread.

I figure there won't be too much issue of setting a precedent because we can just vape this thread once it's done.

HamSandwich
Aug 1, 2017, 12:22 PM

I still think about this. Thanks for all the help and support that I received so far. I know all of us were once young and left our traces on the web. I'm struggling a bit and try to convince everyone... I care and I already deleted my own posts, as far as I could. It's just not good. Right... Let's see...

andi*pandi
Aug 1, 2017, 12:44 PM

What identifiers tie your forum presence with your real life self? I'm assuming you're not really named Peter Parker. Is the email tied to the account one that is also tied to professional work? Change that.

HamSandwich
Aug 1, 2017, 03:51 PM

No, there is no tie, but still... You are right in a way. I dunno... It is not connected to my work. I'm just trying, and really hard. I'm trying to convince everyone. So, the question seems to be whether or not the other posts matter or if anyone of the other people who posted really care if their posts remain there or not. Does anyone really look into the archives? Does it matter? Is this important? It's just my wish to get this removed. Please help. Greetings for the feedback so far, PeterParker

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2017, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
No, there is no tie, but still... You are right in a way. I dunno... It is not connected to my work. I'm just trying, and really hard. I'm trying to convince everyone. So, the question seems to be whether or not the other posts matter or if anyone of the other people who posted really care if their posts remain there or not. Does anyone really look into the archives? Does it matter? Is this important? It's just my wish to get this removed. Please help. Greetings for the feedback so far, PeterParker
I can tell you with 100% assurance the mods are trying to figure this out. They also realize this is very important to you, and aren't approaching it casually.

I'm just as positive it feels like they don't care. They do. On any good forum this type of request is going to take a little time.

If the mods are quiet right now it's not because they're ignoring you, it's because they're figuring out how to help you.

They're on your side. This will get solved.

Forum Links
Forum Rules