Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Sudden Shutdown

MacBook Sudden Shutdown (Page 5)
b11051973
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 02:40 PM

I also had the colored vertical lines on my MacBook when I got it back. I started a thread on it at the Apple support forum. Someone said there it had to do with the 10.4.7 upgrade. They said to change the display resolution from the default to something else and then back again. They claimed, you'll never see the problem again.

I made the resolution changes and haven't seen the problem since Friday. So, he might have been right.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 03:22 PM

Yakov: South Carolina. There's an Apple Store in Atlanta, Georgia, and I think one or two in North Carolina, but none here. My MacBook seems to shutdown mostly when I'm converting a video or when rendering an animation in Cheetah3D.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

jaydon34
Senior User
Sep 26, 2006, 03:30 PM

Sucks I had my laptop serviced by applecare. And now it just recently started doing the random reset again. I'm a little pissed because school started and I can't be without it. I plan on keeping the laptop til it's unbearable. Hopefully they will provide me with a loaner or just give me a brand new Macbook. Because this is getting crazy.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

b11051973
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 04:40 PM

If you're using your MacBook for school work, make sure to save every 5 minutes or so. There's no warning with those shutdowns.

amru
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 05:29 PM

b11051973, if you're using Word will it auto-recover like it does in windows?

ok my mom [primary user] has been saying that the MB is getting the beachball a lot after the 'fix' and that its really slow/annoying. anyone else?

if i was to take the MB in to an applestore would they be able to fix the mousepad button [im having this problem as mac_cap but on the right side] w/out any problems or appointment.
^anyone?

joebells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 08:29 PM

I live 3 hours from the nearest apple store here in the middle of PA

joebells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 10:14 PM

when you guys get replacements mailed to you is it a new unit or a refurb?

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2006, 08:20 AM

Yep, Word auto-recovers, but its better to save often just to be safe.

Berberman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 09:52 AM

I'm planning on getting a macbook by the end of next week. These sudden shutdown problems are holding me back a little though...Is SS problem seen on ALL machines or could i just get lucky and get a machine that doesnt have it?

confusion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 11:57 AM

I got my MacBook almost three months ago and so far haven't had any sudden shutdowns. Had to have the logicboard exchanged (last week), though, because the screen flickered. Hope that everything is fine now (touch wood)

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2006, 02:08 PM

Got my MacBook back today. Everything works well, BUT they swapped my 120GB HDD w/ a 60GB HDD. After 30 min. on the phone, a customer relations rep is going to try to locate my HDD back at the depot. She hasn't said what willl happen if she's unsuccessful.

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by amru
ahh so then it was a whiteMB. thnks.

since one of the ways to get the MB to shutdown was through terminal.. did anyone try that after getting it fixed?

also if i was to take the MB in to an applestore would they be able to fix the mousepad button [im having this problem also] w/out any problems or appointment.
Haven't tried that test in the terminal. When I brought mine in to the authorized apple repair place (closer than the store for me by about 40 minutes) they ordered another top assy and I have the MB until it comes in then hopefully I'll eat lunch while they replace it out.
Macbook (white) 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM (repaired RSD issue x1)

24" iMac/MacPro in my future

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 05:14 PM

** MB REPAIR UPDATE **
My apple repair dude called today - the part is in (2 days, not bad), I can drop it off in the AM and he should be done by early afternoon! Sweet!

Keeping you posted!

kennedy
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by joebells
I live 3 hours from the nearest apple store here in the middle of PA
In less than 3 hours, I could drive to 4 different Apple Stores and back home again.

Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

jaydon34
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 03:28 PM

Now I'm really pissed in the middle of coding some python my macbook shut off again. Looks like I'm gonna be with out my laptop for more than a week or more getting serviced. I'm going to apple today after class this is crazy. Maybe I will get lucky and they will replace the unit on the spot. My programming classes require that I have a laptop to do labs.

This will be my second time getting the laptop serviced for the same thing. wtf
( Last edited by jaydon34; Sep 28, 2006 at 03:34 PM. )

amru
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2006, 12:59 AM

ok this is ridiculous.. i've been on the login screen for over 20mins w/ the beachball. just got it fixed last week and now this [its been happening randomly and i cant seem to replicate it either]

looks like im going to call applecare tomorrow.

edit. i also have it setup so you have to sign in once the screen is closed & opened and sometimes that works and asks for a login and other times it doesnt.. anyone know whts up/

edit2. MB w/ RSS repairs getting random beachballs - Google Video
( Last edited by amru; Sep 29, 2006 at 03:29 AM. )

jaydon34
Senior User
Sep 29, 2006, 01:04 AM

Update
I went to a local Apple store today and of course there gonna do a repair. They claim its the heatsink this time. But they good thing is they allowed me to keep my laptop until the part comes in. If this doesn't fix it. I'm gonna demand they give me a different unit.

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 10:41 AM

** MB REPAIR UPDATE **
OK, so they changed out the top ass'y in like 45 minutes, did a great job. Get this, apparently this mushy left and right hardly clickable is the "new" design and he mentioned that the touch pad is actually smaller than the original. That I had quite noticed yet. So I guess it's something I have to get to used to. Gotta tell ya though the new top ass'y keyboard seems smoother to me. Overall I'm happy at this point. Still no RSD/RSS/SS issues since my repair, back since 9/21/06.

joebells
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 10:50 AM

better not be smaller and what the heck is he talking about the mushy feeling is normal now, thats bull he just messed up. My first repair came back with a mushy feel among many other problems so I sent it in again and it came back with the click again. If the new ones were smaller then people would have known by now.

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by joebells
better not be smaller and what the heck is he talking about the mushy feeling is normal now, thats bull he just messed up. My first repair came back with a mushy feel among many other problems so I sent it in again and it came back with the click again. If the new ones were smaller then people would have known by now.
Did it come back much faster the second time? How long did it take to fix the mushy button?

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 11:53 AM

** MB REPAIR UPDATE **
OK, I'm heading down to the genius bar to have this mouse pad button checked out...

Keep ya posted!

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2006, 11:55 AM

I ran into the following. I haven't confirmed the source, but this appears to be legitimate. If this is true, then Apple has finally documented the reason for the MacBook's tendency to suddenly shut down. This also suggests that all early MacBook owners are at risk because it is a design defect in all early MacBooks. The word on the net is that machines after week 35 have the corrected heatsink design. Earlier production units probably should not be in mission critical usage unless their heatsinks are replaced.

----------------

This is a News Article available only for Service Providers:

MacBook Intermittent Shutdown Issue: Revised Part Order and Repair Instructions
Applies to Technical News

For MacBooks exhibiting intermittent shutdown, previously released documentation directed Apple service providers to replace the main logic board (MLB) and heatsink. After further investigation, Apple has determined that only the heatsink needs to be replaced in MacBooks exhibiting intermittent shutdown.

To support service providers in updating repairs affected by the revised part instructions, and effective immediately, Apple will review and update (as necessary) all repairs in which a MacBook logic board/heatsink combo part is on backorder. See complete details about order review below.

Apple will only be reviewing and updating (as necessary) those MacBook repairs placed prior to the publication of this message. As a reminder for all future repairs, it is critical that notes clearly describing a product's issue(s) be entered into the GSX 'Notes' field for every repair.

See the Knowledge Base document MacBook: Shuts down intermittently for more details about the issue.

Review of MacBook logic board/heatsink combo part orders
Effective immediately, Apple will review and update or cancel (if necessary) repairs with a backordered logic board/heatsink combo part based upon the following scenarios:
Current repair notes indicate intermittent shut down issue
If a logic board/heatsink combo part is included as part of a submitted repair and the repair Notes section in GSX clearly indicates the combo part was ordered to resolve a MacBook intermittent shutdown issue, Apple will update the order by substituting the heatsink kit for the logic board/heatsink combo part.

Current repair notes indicate logic board issue
If a logic board/heatsink combo part is included as part of a submitted repair and the repair Notes section in GSX clearly indicates the combo part was ordered to resolve an issue associated with a logic board function, the repair will remain as submitted.

Note: You will always receive a logic board/heatsink combo part to replace a non-functioning logic board.

Repair and order cancellations
Apple will only cancel orders for MacBook logic board/heatsink combo parts in the following instances:

If the logic board/heatsink combo part is the only part ordered on the repair and the repair Notes section in GSX does not clearly indicate whether the combo part was ordered to resolve a MacBook intermittent shutdown issue or to resolve an issue associated with a logic board function, the entire repair will be canceled and you should re-submit the repair and order the correct part (either the logic board/heatsink combo part or the heatsink only, depending upon the issue).

If the logic board/heatsink combo part is one of multiple parts ordered for a repair and the repair Notes section in GSX does not clearly indicate whether the combo part was ordered to resolve a MacBook intermittent shutdown issue or to resolve an issue associated with a logic board function, Apple will cancel the logic board/heatsink combo part from the order. You should then order the correct part (either the logic board/heatsink combo part or the heatsink only, depending upon the issue) for that repair.
Important: It is not necessary to do anything with your MacBook repairs unless your order for a logic board/heatsink combo part has been canceled.

The new heatsink part is now available for order in GSX and should ship later this week:
076-1243 Heatsink Kit, with Sponge, 1.0 mm Conn
The MacBook (13-inch) Service Manual has been updated with this information and is available via links on AppleCare Service Source.

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 06:37 PM

** MB REPAIR UPDATE **
OK yet another top ass'y on order, the apple genius definitely knew it was not right to have mushy left and right sided pad buttons. So, in a few days I'll go down again and hopefully they'll fix it in-house. I hate making that drive too much down I-4 ! ugh!

amru
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2006, 07:44 PM

UPDATE

i called aplecare, waited for 30mins on hold then got an 'adam' to try and help me out. he told me to do get rid of login password/requirepassword from sleep to isolate the prob. it worked fine for a bit, but like i said its random and after one good login i restarted gain just to make sure and ended up getting 'beachballed'

he told me to mail it in but i was like i need it for school etc.. this the second time im going to be w/out it [first for rss]. is there anything u can do for me while its in? he said he cant but he recommends me taking it in to the aplestore to have them check it out. if they fix it fine, if they dont send it in.

iamwiz82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 10:16 PM

I called Apple and got an RMA, after 5 different calls. I'm backing up the HDD right now and then I'll box it and ship it.

kikkoman
Senior User
Oct 3, 2006, 07:22 PM

Count me as another victim of sudden shutdowns. I called AppleCare and waited a little less than 10 minutes to talk to someone. The tech tried to do some troubleshooting over the phone but my MacBook shutdown while trying to boot from CD. Apple is sending me a box.

jaydon34
Senior User
Oct 3, 2006, 09:28 PM

UPDATE
So the Smith Haven Apple store replace my heatsink and said that it infact was the cause of my random shutdown issue. Only time will tell. Funny thing the Genius tells that I should be careful when using third party ram in mac's. He said that could have also caused an issue, when I replied, "it's Corsiar ram" he stated, " Oh I've never heard of that". So I played dum as usual and left laughing. So much for a Genius.

amru
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2006, 11:35 PM

update from me also

took it to the apple store in victoria gardens and the genius as soon as i described the problem said it was due to 'permissions' and confirmed it once he saw the video that i took.. he talk to my bro mostly since he knows more about macs while i was messing w/ the 24"

im happy since the MB isnt giving me random BB's/freezing anymore.

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2006, 08:59 AM

Mine goes in tomorrow for overheating.. They didn't sound too surprised when I told them on the phone.

Has anyone attempted to replace the thermal grease with something like Arctic Silver to see if that helps (minus that whole warranty voiding thing)?
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

mac_cap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by amru
update from me also

took it to the apple store in victoria gardens and the genius as soon as i described the problem said it was due to 'permissions' and confirmed it once he saw the video that i took.. he talk to my bro mostly since he knows more about macs while i was messing w/ the 24"

im happy since the MB isnt giving me random BB's/freezing anymore.

Amru - How's that new 24" iMac? Do you think that over the MacPro (if I have to buy a big display anyway).

acoustix
Oct 4, 2006, 12:44 PM

O.K. Has anyone ever heard of something like this...I shut down my week 32 MacBook this morning, power supply off & with the battery at 100%, and when I fired it up this evening, it said that OSX had unexpectedly quit and was restarted and the battery was at 0%. I verified in the terminal window (by typing last and hitting return) that it had indeed been shutdown in the morning.
Anybody know what the hell that is about?

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2006, 01:17 PM

Instead of waiting for the store to send my macbook off, I instead fixed the problem myself. Warranty? meh..

Popped the top off and looked around. Sure enough, the two wires that go to the thermal sensors on the rear of the heatsink had melted TO the side of the heatsink next to the processors. I dismantled it and carefully seperated the wires from the heatsink, they were melted together themselves. I then reassembled it using Arctic Silver paste on the cores (covers the processor and northbridge) and rerouted the wires around the mount for the heatsink so they were not in contact with it. Runs like a champ now!

I took pics, if anyone is interested in seeing it, I'll throw them up on Flickr.
Sieb
Blackbook

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2006, 01:20 PM

I'm interested in the pics, link?

Good job, this means technically minded people can repair it without having to wait for Apple.

hellstan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Guy Kuo
My 2.0 GHz, white MacBook has started shutting down suddenly at random. It happens whether or not the machine is on the mains adapter or battery. I'm using the machine and it just suddenly powers down. No kernal panic. No premontory symptoms. It just sudden shuts down after minutes or even hours of unremarkable usage. At first I thought it was related to 10.4.7 but I've reverted to 10.4.6 and it still happens.

I've made one go at running the Apple Hardwared tests, but it shut down suddenly before I could finish booting off CD. Ran out of time, but will try again later.

The battery doesn't appear to be swelling. I've reset the PMU without helping the situation.
Hi,
I experimented the same problem twice yesterday with my PowerMac G5 2x2.5GHz, under 10.4.8.
Quite frightening : at first, I thought of a power failure.

Solution (checked with Apple Car online)
Perform an NVRAM
Restart your machine with Apple + ALT + O + F keys pressed.
On the command screen, type reset-NVRAM, then Enter.
On the last commande line, type set-defaults, then ENTER.
Then, on the last command line again, type reset-all, then Enter.
Your Mac restarts.
Problem solved.
If shutdown occurs again (it should not), you'all to do an Archive-Install (search the Apple support for that).
Best
Johan Hellstan
( Last edited by hellstan; Oct 4, 2006 at 01:42 PM. )

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2006, 02:05 PM

Sieb
Blackbook

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2006, 06:11 PM

my macbook is still rockin' along great after the repair, except for one annoying thing. when i boot there's a second where i see a folder "?" icon right before teh apple icon. any way to fix this?

tadunne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
my macbook is still rockin' along great after the repair, except for one annoying thing. when i boot there's a second where i see a folder "?" icon right before teh apple icon. any way to fix this?
Make sure the startup disk in system preferences has been set to your internal disk. The engineer might have set it to use an external drive and not put it back.

amru
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mac_cap
amru - How's that new 24" iMac? Do you think that over the MacPro (if I have to buy a big display anyway).
the 24" is huge but its all in one package which is definitely a +. if it were me in the market id get that over a macpro. one i dont need a pro computer and 2 the macpro is huge. but guess it all depends on wht you need it for

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2006, 07:44 PM

I dropped off my MacBook at an Apple Store for an RSS repair a little over 2 weeks ago & finally got it back today. So far it hasn't shut down but I did notice the mushy button on my track pad was really bad.

I don't really want to go thru another repair so I did a search & found this method of fixing it, which seemed to work really well for me (I dunno if it's already been posted):
iBloggedThis � An Origami solution to the Apple MacBook TrackPad “squishy” Button Problem

Of course I didn't bother folding the paper as described, I just created a tiny folded block about 1/8" square and 1/16" to 1/32" thick, and stuck it in & popped my battery back in... The button is responding like new...

Guy Kuo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2006, 02:03 AM

Hellstan, that doesn't apply to the Intel MacBooks. There is a hardware defect that involves the thermal sensors.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by gametime10
Got my MacBook back today. Everything works well, BUT they swapped my 120GB HDD w/ a 60GB HDD. After 30 min. on the phone, a customer relations rep is going to try to locate my HDD back at the depot. She hasn't said what willl happen if she's unsuccessful.
Did you upgrade to the 120 GB hdd yourself? When you send stuff in for repair, it is supposed to have the original hardware in it. I guess I don't understand why they would swap hdd, but I wonder if that has something to do with it.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2006, 10:36 AM

I got my MacBook back two weeks ago after it's second repair. So far, so good!

scoot
Oct 5, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by b11051973
Did you upgrade to the 120 GB hdd yourself? When you send stuff in for repair, it is supposed to have the original hardware in it. I guess I don't understand why they would swap hdd, but I wonder if that has something to do with it.
That's why Apple's repair form includes fields for RAM and HD capacity. They are well aware that users do actually upgrade user-upgradable parts. It is a good idea to send it in with the original equipment installed, simply because it eliminates the upgrades as a source of problems. It is not always necessary - RSS isn't generally blamed on an upgraded HD, even by Apple.

The problem that gametime10 ran into occurs because of the assembly- line nature of the outsourced repair depot. The MacBook you send in isn't the only one - there are multiple MacBooks on the bench in some state of disassembly at any given time. The parts are supposed to be kept segregated, but this doesn't always happen. Unfortunately, there is the possibility that his drive is now in someone else's MacBook. Whether it gets returned depends on how cooperative the other person chooses to be, if Apple can even determine whose book got the drive.

I've had to deal with this once - I was the poor bastard who got the call, and had to try convincing the other person to swap drives. He wanted $500 for his trouble, so the drives never got returned. Now, I have no idea how I managed to locate the person who got the other drive...
--
Scott

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2006, 08:34 PM

They were able to locate my 120GB HDD and I got it the next day via Fedex Overnight. It was in a anti-static wrap w/ my case number on it, so I think that's how they located it. I had also told the Applecare rep that i had the HDD and Ram upgrade, so they noted it on my case file, along with a note from the depot that they had put a 60GB HDD in there. So in the end, I get a free 60GB HDD, to go with the original one I got with the Macbook.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2006, 10:22 PM

Can you guys help me out. Here's my problem: my MacBook has suddenly started to shutdown when I wake it from a long sleep (1 hour+). It has also started to not start up when I press the power button. It takes me 10+ times to get it to start up. It will shutdown during start up when the light on the MacBook turns on, when the Apple appears with the crank thing, and when it gets to the point when it's completely started up.

Help me PLEASE!!! Thx.
Signature depreciated.

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2006, 10:34 PM

You're experiencing what all of us have experienced. You basically have to call Applecare and tell them your problem. They'll mail you a box, you send it in, and hopefully you get it back in about a week with the problem fixed.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
Can you guys help me out. Here's my problem: my MacBook has suddenly started to shutdown when I wake it from a long sleep (1 hour+). It has also started to not start up when I press the power button. It takes me 10+ times to get it to start up. It will shutdown during start up when the light on the MacBook turns on, when the Apple appears with the crank thing, and when it gets to the point when it's completely started up.

Help me PLEASE!!! Thx.
To get it to start, hold down the power key until the sleep light starts blinking rapidly (takes about 10 seconds of holding), then release. You'll get a long loud tone. Then it'll boot. And it will run MUCH more reliably in that mode (though still not 100%; save OFTEN). Go to Energy Saver and set your machine to NEVER sleep... because it leaves that mode when it wakes from sleep. (The screen and drive can both sleep, just don't let the Mac sleep.)

If you're lucky, you've got an Apple Store nearby. Call them, tell them you have the Random Sudden Shutdown problem, and ask them to order the parts they need and call you when they arrive. Then you can bring your machine in and have it back in a few hours.

If you aren't so lucky, then you're going to have to mail it in to get fixed.

NOTE: My machine was still RSS'ing after the fix attempt. I'll bring it in for another try next week.
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2006, 02:40 PM

Mine started doing the random shutdown thing today for the first time. It did it twice today while playing a video clip.

ARG!!!!

Tom

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2006, 04:36 PM

Mine just started doing it today also. ARGHHH!!

I need this computer for college. If I'm lucky I might be able to get it back by the end of the week, according to the Apple Store here.

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by kennedy
To get it to start, hold down the power key until the sleep light starts blinking rapidly (takes about 10 seconds of holding), then release. You'll get a long loud tone. Then it'll boot. And it will run MUCH more reliably in that mode (though still not 100%; save OFTEN). Go to Energy Saver and set your machine to NEVER sleep... because it leaves that mode when it wakes from sleep. (The screen and drive can both sleep, just don't let the Mac sleep.)
This just forces it to run at 1Ghz but pretty much any load will trip it and shut down. I even shut off one core and it still did it just as quick. It will get worse the longer you let it persist. As it warms up, the heatsink is shorting out the thermisistor wire(s) that are melted to it making it think its getting an overheating signal, or, its generating enough heat resistance in the thermistors wire(s) that it interprets it as overheating, and shuts down the Macbook. I confirmed this when I separated mine from the heatsink.
Sieb
Blackbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules