Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > white macbook crack, anyone else?

white macbook crack, anyone else? (Page 2)
Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2007, 04:16 AM

It could be though. Maybe the keyboard is considered a part of the top case. When I recently picked up my black MB they had replaced the top case. But they also installed a new KB and trackpad.

techtrucker
Senior User
Mar 24, 2007, 02:09 PM

Just discovered a crack in my macbook, week 29. This machine has only left the house a couple of times, and is used carefully and gently (albeit some heavy use).

The crack is in the top case at the left edge of the left wrist rest. There are no bulges or other problems. It looks to me like it's just from too much downward pressure on the left wrist area. I do do a lot of typing on it, and I am a fairly large guy with big hands.

I didn't purchase Applecare because I usually upgrade once a year. I'm not all that worried about it, but if it gets worse or a piece splits off I'll have to get it fixed.

I took a couple of shots, not the greatest but you can hopefully see what I'm talking about.

http://eagle.he.net/~sjwood/misc/crack1.jpg

http://eagle.he.net/~sjwood/misc/crack2.jpg
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2007, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by techtrucker View Post
I didn't purchase Applecare because I usually upgrade once a year. I'm not all that worried about it, but if it gets worse or a piece splits off I'll have to get it fixed.
If you just take it up to an apple store, they'll most likely replace the top cover for free even without applecare. It's worth a shot anyways, because the crack does get bigger and bigger the more pressure that's put on it.

techtrucker
Senior User
Mar 26, 2007, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the advice Nodnarb, I will do that. I find myself altering my typing style for fear of making it worse, which isn't good!
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

jaydon34
Senior User
Apr 5, 2007, 01:45 PM

My RevA Macbook also cracked in the same spot as many have reported. I took it in to a local apple store today and they were happy to replaced it. I hate to admit it but the 1st generation Macbooks were a bunch of lemons. Mines been repaired four times. 2 logic boards and 2 top cases/keyboards. Due to the fact that two of the repairs are deemed cosmetic I wont be receiving a replacement unit. Upon return it will be given to my GF and I will be getting a Macbook Pro like I should have purchased in the first place.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

jaydon34
Senior User
Apr 6, 2007, 04:47 PM

Update
I have to salute apple my laptop was returned today after I just dropped it off yesterday morning. Everything looks great and the keyboard/palm rests have been replaced.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2007, 06:23 PM

My Spanish teacher has a MacBook with YCS (Yellow Case Syndrome.)

Apple should be replacing these machines through the warranties, right?
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by techtrucker View Post
Just discovered a crack in my macbook, week 29. This machine has only left the house a couple of times, and is used carefully and gently (albeit some heavy use).

The crack is in the top case at the left edge of the left wrist rest. There are no bulges or other problems. It looks to me like it's just from too much downward pressure on the left wrist area. I do do a lot of typing on it, and I am a fairly large guy with big hands.

I took a couple of shots, not the greatest but you can hopefully see what I'm talking about.

http://eagle.he.net/~sjwood/misc/crack1.jpg

http://eagle.he.net/~sjwood/misc/crack2.jpg
Same thing is happening to my MacBook Pro.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

jaydon34
Senior User
Apr 6, 2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Northeastern292 View Post
My Spanish teacher has a MacBook with YCS (Yellow Case Syndrome.)

Apple should be replacing these machines through the warranties, right?
Correct
Just have her bring it in to a local Apple store. Takes a day if they have the part or they may do it on site.

sarahxzx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 03:22 PM

The same thing happened to me, except it happened on the front of my screen, right below the apple. I don't know if I can get that part replaced or what but none of the Apple sites are a bit helpful.Any suggestions?

RashaR2007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2007, 12:19 PM

I've had my Laptop since Early Oct 2006, since then I've had a new hard drive because it stopped working in the first month I had it then a few months later my charger stopped working now a piece of plastic seems to have snapped off! I called Apple and they said this wasn't covered by them because it could be seen as Accidental Damage but I told them It's always in its protective case when not in use and I hardly take it out and never ever dropped it so there is no way the damage was caused by me! Anyway I did what they suggested and went to see the repair centre that Apple authorises for repairs and they said that as my laptop was within it's 1 year warrenty they would fix it for free! So moral of the story careful of Apple mac products lol

Elitist Snob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2007, 05:33 PM

Is this case cracking issue effecting the newer Core 2 duo model as well, or is it isolated to the earlier Core duo model? I'm hoping its the latter and not the former. Otherwise I won't be buying an Apple portable.

imsupergrover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2007, 09:24 PM

here's a link of the crack in my mac. Hope it helps y'all. I'll be calling them tomorrow and i'll let you know what they say.

thx

byron

Pixie*13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2007, 11:12 PM

I have had the exact same cracking issue. Im on my second mac book now because i got sick of dealing with the obviously faulty old one, and now my new one has done the same thing. It only barely leaves my desk. Apple have screwed up this time, major design flaw!. The worst thing is that last time i didn't get the nice helpful service people, it took me hours of arguing and having accusations that i had dropped it leveled at me to get the thing fixed and it was only because they could do it under warranty because of the discoulouration issue. You can imagine my dread at having to go through the whole thing again.

meaniew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 08:46 AM

I had the same problem on my Macbook purchased mid Jan this year. Rang the Apple Store helpline (there are no physical Apple Stores here, just the online store which seems to be run out of Australia, as that's where my call ended up). They didn't know anything about cracks, but suggested I went to local service centre. Entertaining conversation ensued with them attempting to pronounce Maori placenames to work out which one was closest to me. The place they recommended only had one Mac guy, and he was out, but when I stopped in at the big Mac reseller in town to ask who they'd reccomend, turns out they have their own well staffed service centre out the back.

They took one look at it, said it was a problem they'd been having, they'd been told to replace them under warranty. They ordered the part, it came into store two days later, I dropped my 'puter off for two hours and came back and it was all fixed. Weirdly enough the trackpad also feels different, though it may just be that they've cleaned it. couldn't be more impressed with the service from them, just weird the offical Apple Helpline didn't know about the issue.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 09:04 AM

HardMac claims in the meantime Apple has acknowledged that MB case cracks are due to a design weakness. They will fix MBs under warranty which means you get a new top case and KB/trackpad if necessary.

joshuagsmith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 11:44 AM

I purchased a MacBook C2D in January 2007 for my son and yesterday he showed me where the front right was starting to chip away. I went online and found all types of reports such as what we see here in the MacNN forums. We took the MacBook directly to our local Apple store (Willowbend Mall location in North Dallas) and they said they will fix it within 3-5 days. The employee said he believes that due to the magnet that pulls the top lid shut...that is combining with the power of users closing their lids...(and if you notice the two bumps atop your LCD) he thinks that the combined power of closing and the magent pulling shut is causing those two bumps to continually bang into the bezel. Anyway...they are replacing the entire top of keyboard/pad (cover, keyboard and trackpad...because it is all one piece from the factory as a replacement part.) SPECIAL NOTE: we did find two other minor hairline cracks: one on the bottom of the macbook near the back and one on the back side corner. But they will not fix those he said.

minicooperman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2007, 02:17 PM

Yes, I have the same problem I bought my mac book in June of 06 and I have the same crack, and the top is bulged up just as you describe, I think mine happen when they replaced my top case because the track pad was sticky, and I have asked to get it replaced and they said no, cause they think its my fault. I have never dropped it always taken good care of it, except for the accedental water spill but nothing was affected by it. I think i have a lemon cause the track pad was sticky from day one. So i definitely feel your pain and upset, i wish i could get it replaced.

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2007, 12:23 PM

I have had the same problem with my MacBook.. I got it in August '06. My MacBook has line just in the front-left corner about 1-cm long. A thicker line in the top-right palm rest, about 1-inch long. Also, the top part of the MacBook, where the keyboard is, is a little up just where the MagSafe is. AND my charger is broken!

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

patrix
Jun 7, 2007, 03:51 PM

Is it me, or does my macbook (with cracks at the edge where the top part's little "feet" rest on the palmrest area) run much cooler since those bits came off?

Maybe there have been recent updates that made the fans run better (not louder), or maybe the little cracks really do improve airflow. With CoreDuoTemp, I see my temp hold to around 46 degrees, while before it was always 53-58 on normal usage (not games, movies, number-crunching, etc).

Patrix.

PS: yes Apple wll replace the parts, like others have said here, so maybe soon I'll find out if it was the cracks

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2007, 08:05 PM

Uuugggh!! I don't like what I'm reading here. I've gotten pretty attached to my ibook, 800, G4 still running OS 3.9.

Now tell me again, why would I want the macbook--cracks and all?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2007, 09:57 AM

Im on the verge of getting a new MacBook. im just going through the discussion forums to see what the 'issues' are. with this cracking issue, ive only noticed the white macbooks being effected.

Does anyone have a black macbook with this issue ?

patrix
Jun 8, 2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Im on the verge of getting a new MacBook. im just going through the discussion forums to see what the 'issues' are. with this cracking issue, ive only noticed the white macbooks being effected.

As far as I know, the issue's fixed with the current line of macbooks.

Patrix

macphwoar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post

Yep... I just found out today that my Blackbook C2D is cracked on the right near the IR port. I bought this in March this year. Glad to know that it will get replaced, though I still have to take it to the store to find out.. here's a couple of pics that I took of it.

crackbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2007, 07:10 AM

Argghh! My MacBook is cracking and bulging as well.

macphwoar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2007, 03:46 AM

my further research has lead me to these links... for those who've been googling like crazy for an answer to their cracked macbook.. look no further

Revenge of the crackBook - Engadget

Flickr: My MacBook Was Cracked By Itself

Apple - Support - Discussions - Plastic layer is cracking ...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 04:50 AM

This issue is covered under warranty. We have 2000 Macbooks doing this at work and we are making some poor guy from Apple come out and fix them (along with the top case discoloration.)
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

JustinG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2007, 11:38 PM

First-time poster: I have this same issue with a crack over the sleep light. I took it to an Apple store this weekend and the genius pretty much said that it was my fault. I am going to call Apple tomorrow and see what they can do. I treat my Macbook very well and it is rarely even carried in a bag...what do you suppose the chances are of a fix after I have been once denied in person. Also, I am sure the genius from the store put some kind of note in the system saying I tried to get this fixed once...What do you guys think?
Justin

sproggo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2007, 02:35 AM

I've got the same crack from the lid as Haddock did. And mine occurred in week 27 of owning it. I had bought it refurbished off of apple's website, its a core duo white macbook.

So, I took it in to the "Genius" today and the guy said it would be replaced, but gave me the yeah we'll replace it under the warranty even though its an apple care thing as cosmetic details aren't covered under the warranty. I said "Yeah its a common problem and apple know about it". Of course he had no quick response to that, but didn't acknowledge the problem either. When I asked about apple automatically extending the warranty because of it being a known problem, I got the previously heard message of buy a$$le care.

They didn't have said part in stock so they will give me a call when they do, ok that's cool.

The other comical tidbit was when I asked if they were just replacing it with the same piece of junk piece or something designed to fix the problem, I got the run around and I must call the apple care people and oh they might not know, we don't know what the design team does and no one can talk to them, blah, blah, blah. For a "genius", this guy was more of a corporate tool. I figure after I drop it off for repairs, I'll give the apple care people a call, and if I'm not satisfied with answers, when I pick up the repaired macbook, I'll make sure to tie them up until I get a straight answer, or until I start shouting at the top of my lungs in the apple store that thinkpads and dells are made of better quality. Well, at least thinkpads.

I must say between this issue, the cracked nano screens, and I'm sure there are other recent issues, apple has been acting like dicks. It seems they are way to concerned with a perfect quality assurance record, that they cann't admit fault and try and blame every case on the consumer and don't even apologize when its a well known failure on their part. I must say as a first time mac user, apple in their effort to appear pristine is doing a good job of trying to convince me to move away and that they are no different from anyone else.

I will be sure to post follow-ups here as to what answers or non-answers I get.

robshoy
Jul 1, 2007, 12:21 PM

You can't judge an entire company by a single employee and one bad experience. Apple is pretty famous for great customer support.

bmwk100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2007, 04:39 PM

My MacBook fell out of my saddlebag while going 85 mph on I-85 in New York. It slid down the freeway and I was able to recover it on the side of the road. The top of the case was scratched up pretty bad but no other issues. The MacBook works like new and no cracks/bulges etc. I purchased a red protective cover and now I have a very distinctive looking MacBook.

I guess I'm pretty lucky that cracks/bulges are not showing up on my MacBook.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2007, 09:45 PM

Will apple replace this? or is it too tiny?

I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

sproggo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2007, 04:55 PM

Yeah, I should know that too, but when something goes wrong with something I purchased in general (not just a mac or computers) and its not my fault, I've become accustomed to going on the defensive. Anywho, I have an update and good news.

Ok, so I called them yesterday and the parts were in, they just forgot to call no biggie. I dropped off the machine yesterday. Just before lunch, I got a message that it was ready.

I called apple care and questioned about the problem. The lady kindly informed me that the replacement piece is stronger. She told me to ask a genius about any piece specific warranty extension.

When I picked up my macbook, the guy I asked about wasn't sure, but found someone who was familiar with the situation. He told me all of the macbooks with this problem were manufactured within a month. Since mine's refurbished, it would explain why I am seeing this problem later than the rest of you all. He said it was a weak piece and he believed Apple doesn't use that manufacturer anymore because of the issue. On the warranty question, he said there is no reset on that piece, so I only have 5 more months left. But he did say that the piece has been tested and if it were to become a mass problem, apple would probably do something about it.

The experience and reading about other people sometimes running into bad attitude geniuses makes me wonder how they are paid/promoted. I hope they don't get bonuses/promotions for getting more people through per day regardless of quality or incentives to sell things like apple care.

seaofcrap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2007, 10:27 PM

Just got back from the Apple store - they replaced the cover and keyboard within 15 minutes. I just told them I wanted it replaced and they did, no questions asked.
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz Glossy

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 09:27 PM

Mine just cracked again. Looks like another trip to the Apple Store this weekend...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

stugots
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2007, 06:11 PM

The other day I noticed a 2” crack developing on the right palm rest of my Macbook. I remembered reading this thread about ten months ago thinking “I hope this doesn’t happen to me.” Well it did.

I read that some people were having good luck taking their MB’s into their local Apple store and having it repaired in less then an hour. I live about two hours from my local Apple store so I called…I talked with a “Genius “ on the phone who said “This is a known issue, we have plenty of parts in stock…simply make an appointment…the repair should only take a few minutes.”

I made an appointment for the next day, packed up my MB, the wife, and my newborn for a two hour trip the Apple store. Once there I met with a “Genius” who said “This is cosmetic only…we save the part needed to fix the problem for people who actually have operational problems.” I explained to him the conversation I had the day before and told him that I just drove two hours to have my MB fixed. He gave me three options…
One - send my MB to a repair depot to have it repaired then shipped back to my house.
Two -buy a pro card for $99.00 to bump my repair the front of the line.
Three - come back in 1-3 days to pick up my MB.

I wasn’t going to pay $99 for a free fixit (I’d rather spent it on something else Apple). I heard horror stories about the repair depots. I decided to come back in a couple of days. (I do enjoy going to the Apple store anyway).

Maybe it was only my local Apple store, but fellow MB users, be prepared to relinquish command of your MB for a few days to have it repaired at an Apple store. I love Apple and especially Macs; however my first experience in dealing with an Apple store “Genius” was less the stellar.

***UPDATE***
I picked up my MB this afternoon. The top case was replaced with no problem, however the "Genius" was absolutely rude. I would be hard pressed to find a person who may be more cocky and arrogant as this so called "Genius". Again I love almost all things Apple, but the staff at our Apple store should have a class in customer service.
( Last edited by stugots; Jul 14, 2007 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Update)

petrazacharova
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2007, 04:38 AM

Hi,
yes, I've had the experience (after 6 months of using my MacBook) with a crack in the area where the magnet (on the top lid) goes. You probably can aslo see a tiny mark on the other side.
Anyway, last Friday I took it to Apple Store in London and they replaced it free of charge. I was told that there was a problem with the material they used for the top case orginaly. Now they obviously use a different material.
All you have to do is to schedule for an appointment and write there Top Case Quick Repair. And it was really quite quick. They had the thing on stock so I waited only for about an hour.

RichardMacbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2007, 12:40 PM

My macbook is 7 weeks old and a hairline crack pluse what looks like a sooon-to-be crack all along the front on the case - the shiny plactic case under the wristpad not the edges like some others have reported; We called Apple and they opened a case# BUT said they think it was "user abuse" and could not guarantee replacement until they saw it! Its a shock as I saved for theis for a year and the crack and soon to be crack extens almist from corner to corner ... will see if its fixed .. I do have applecare but this is also less than a month old!

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2007, 07:48 AM

if you have this crack (lower-right of wrist rest/keyboard piece) TAKE YOUR MACBOOK IN. The keyboard will be replaced before your eyes. Mine was.

arjae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2007, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
I first noticed the problem this afternoon. One side of the piece that has broken off was still attached at that point.
The break lines up with the "feet" on the screen housing. I use my Macbook all the time, and it travels to lectures and coffeeshops, but like many of you I take pretty good care of it! I can't imagine a situation that would exert enough pressure for the screen-feet to break the palmrest like this.

The same thing happened to mine in that area n it kept happening around it to the right hand side to it's like a giant missing backward L

jenabel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2007, 07:45 PM

Bought my MacBook in August 07 and I just noticed there was crack on the right hand side of the palm rest above the sleep light and where the divider hits the bottom case.
Took it in to the store today and the genius fixed it in front of me, took about 20 mins. I'm surprised that other people on this thread have had problems trying to get theirs replaced as the geniuses said it was caused by the user; it's obviously not. Get on the phone with apple, I'm sure you won't have a problem after that.
What I want to know is if Apple has changed the plastic on the palm rests to fix the problem? My keys feel like they're a different material, but maybe it's just because they're new.
Also, is there anything I can do to avoid this problem in the future? I was thinking of putting those little foam circles next to the dividers on the display to reduce pressure...I'd rather have something that's not as aesthetically pleasing than have a crack that will turn into a hole.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 09:03 PM

It's now happened to me 4 times. They're not actually fixing anything, just replacing the palm rest...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

aznsmith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2007, 02:37 AM

i have the same exact problem and used superglue to prevent it from breaking off. every macbook user i know has their top case cracked and chipped away. apple should perform a recall on all cracked top cases and issue self-adhesive rubber display cushions to all macbook users. they should be able to save more doing that as opposed to replacing the case 1-3 times per person.

indietim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2007, 02:08 PM

My June '06 MacBook just developed one of these cracks.

Inkreef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jon90 View Post
Update :
I didn’t expect this type of struggle and don't really have the time for it. Its my 1st Apple computer and at this rate it will probably be my last.

Disappointing.... Great OS and Software but poor hardware.
Welcome to the club. Apple have to work on his customer service. They are failing right now, both for me and for a lot of other loyal (or new) customers.

aznsmith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2008, 10:53 PM

I just went to an apple store today and they replaced the top-case for free even though my macbook is out of warranty due to the problem being a known issue. The repair took less than an hour with heavy amount of customers despite the estimate of 2-3 days. So, i'm happy about it.

buge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 07:20 PM

Here is the problem that I having with my Macbook, it is runing fine but I have crack that started to show up and the plastic around the mousepad area are staining.

I'm thinking about taking to a apple store, and see what they say.
( Last edited by buge; Jan 27, 2008 at 07:28 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by buge View Post
HI'm thinking about taking to a apple store, and see what they say.
Do that. Discoloration of the top case is a known problem on some white MBs. They'll exchange your top case for free.

buge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 11:49 AM

Did you also see the crack buy the magentic where the top closes, by the mouse pad

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2008, 12:00 PM

Yeah, I did.

If they exchange your top case because of the discoloration the crack will be fixed as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules