Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Boot Camp

Boot Camp
art_director
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2006, 05:22 PM

If any design folk are using Intel-based Macs and giving Boot Camp a shot, please tell us about youor impressions and experiences.

Thx.

SEE: http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 01:34 PM

Bootcamp just sold me on a macbook, just waiting on that tax return...

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 03:32 PM

tests are coming back saying that theres a 57% increase in speed when running photoshop through bootcamp on xp than through rosetta on mac os x. although ill wait a good month or two before trying bootcamp, i cant wait to see how fast my baby could go, although its plenty faster than my older machine so im not that impatient.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 03:54 PM

well no ****, its running native on XP. you don't need to be a damn rocket scientist to know that.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 10:42 PM

sorry i didnt know everybody at macnn knows everything there is to know about bootcamp. besides, its not like i said i didnt know it was running native or not, i just cant wait to see how fast my machine actually is, therefore i cant see how its as redundant as you make it, especially for experimental software. how bout you chill and keep your lame sarcasm to yourself.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 10:54 PM

dude, macs have been barely any different from pc's in years. The only difference has been the processor. Now that its the same processor, the only difference is the damn operating system. the Mac/PC pissing contest is dead. Boot camp is not a software thing. (well, not in the VPC kind of way) Booting windows on it is like getting the nearest dell and running photoshop, there is no difference anymore, there are no benchmarks to wait for, its the same thing as running photoshop on a PC. If you set up a macbook booted to windows and the new asus laptop booted to windowss (which has the EXACT SAME SPECS) you'll get the same result because its the same computer.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 06:56 AM

What does this have to to with art?

kyles_mac
Apr 7, 2006, 11:57 AM

It has to do with art because since Photoshop isn't coming out for Intel Macs until next year, you can run it on Windows .. and get better speeds.

Macola
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 02:03 PM

Although if all of us did that, it would only give Adobe more reasons to stop developing for the Mac.

Personally, I plan to hang onto my PowerPC Mac for a while, although as soon as Apple releases a 12" (or similar) MacBook Pro, I'll be on it right away...and yes, it wil run Windows
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by kyles_mac
It has to do with art because since Photoshop isn't coming out for Intel Macs until next year, you can run it on Windows .. and get better speeds.
If speed was my only criteria... I would have switched to Windows years ago.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Macola
Although if all of us did that, it would only give Adobe more reasons to stop developing for the Mac.

Personally, I plan to hang onto my PowerPC Mac for a while, although as soon as Apple releases a 12" (or similar) MacBook Pro, I'll be on it right away...and yes, it wil run Windows
The only reason I would load Windows on to my Mac is so that I could run the few Windows only map programs I have sitting on my PIII HP POS box I hide under my desk.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by godzookie2k
dude, macs have been barely any different from pc's in years. The only difference has been the processor. Now that its the same processor, the only difference is the damn operating system. the Mac/PC pissing contest is dead. Boot camp is not a software thing. (well, not in the VPC kind of way) Booting windows on it is like getting the nearest dell and running photoshop, there is no difference anymore, there are no benchmarks to wait for, its the same thing as running photoshop on a PC. If you set up a macbook booted to windows and the new asus laptop booted to windowss (which has the EXACT SAME SPECS) you'll get the same result because its the same computer.
yeah but without a benchmark, how am i supposed to find out how fast photoshop is on a duo core chip (PC or Mac)? im not an idiot, and obviously if the internals are the same and they're running the same OS...speeds suggest to be the same. THEN i go and read that for some reason macbook pros are working faster than their pc notebook counterparts when it comes to photoshop, im just curious thats all...just relax.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 06:43 PM

Sorry, I was drunk and ornery that night and probably shouldn't have been at a computer. On topic, this guy I know on another forum ran some 3DS max tests:

so our render farm manager came in a while ago with a copy of 3dsmax and was like "let's see it!"

so we installed it, used OpenGL rendering and he created 1000 teapots (8 segments, whatever that means) with whatever settings he thought would run it through a good test. redraw was good scaling and rotating in both shaded mode and wireframe. then we ran a raytraced render ... 2:11.

then, we did the same test on HIS machine which is a bigass dell tower with like 3gig of RAM (versus the 1gig in mine at the moment - my other gig stick wont be in till tuesday). same settings, same OpenGL, 1000 teapots. redraw and everything was significantly slower. menus were WAY slower. render time ... 1:47.

he said we'd run the test again when my other stick of RAM came in which, accordingly, would make a big difference.

looks like my lil $2500 macbook all but pwnt the $5000 dell tower. when my other gig of RAM comes in, i'm betting it wins the render time, too.

w00t.

Tom B.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by godzookie2k
Sorry, I was drunk and ornery that night and probably shouldn't have been at a computer. On topic, this guy I know on another forum ran some 3DS max tests:
3D Max doesnt run on Macs. so how were u able to run tests?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 09:35 PM

I'll be very interested to see a UB Photoshop OS X vs. Photoshop Windows benchmark on the exact same hardware.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2006, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by karascousin
3D Max doesnt run on Macs. so how were u able to run tests?
I'll be sure to ask, I'm just reporting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules