Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > DateBk6 for iPhone?

DateBk6 for iPhone?
gulmatan
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2010, 04:23 PM

Hello all,

I'd love to switch over from my Palm T|X to an iPod Touch or iPad but, there's one hurdle left for me. All my Palm apps are available in one variation or the real thing but, there's one I'm still looking for.

The last app I need an iPhoneOS version/variation of is a product from Pimlico Software called DateBk 6. It's a fully-featured calendaring, call-logging & appointment management app but, that's just the start. So, to help you understand a bit more of what I'm looking for in an iPhoneOS equivalent, here's the webpage of this great app:

Pimlico Software

Unfortunately, the developer has released a Java version of the desktop companion and a WinTel version of an earlier DateBk desktop app. So, I was looking at Bento since it has a desktop/OS/X companion but, I'm unclear if this will do all of what DateBk6 does.

I'd appreciate your insights please. Thanks in advance.
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2010, 05:39 AM

Back in the day I was able to sync my DateBk calendar data to my Mac with the Palm syncing software. I then exported that calendar data to something iCal could handle and synced the iCal data to my iPhone. That worked fine. But of course in my case it was just calendar data, no call logs or anything fancy.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2010, 10:27 AM

I relied heavily on DateBk for my Palm Treo. It's the only thing I miss since going BlackBerry. For my level of scheduling, the week-at-a-glance view (grid view) was PERFECT. Color-coding appointments was a spiffing feature in grid view. Unfortunately, Pimlico hasn't even released a WebOS version of DateBk. That would be the logical progression, but I would also understand a Windows Mobile version or an iPhone version. Honestly, if I were leading the development effort at Pimlico, I'd go with the iPhone. Personally, I'm not a fan of the iPhone. But there's no denying the sales potential if they went that way.

AirGod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2010, 12:29 AM

I too missed Datebk6 when I switched from a Treo to an Ipod. I especially liked being able to view the entire month with icons I set for each activity. I found a solution that allows me to see a month view calendar with icons visible although it doesn't do all the other things Datebk6 did.

I downloaded an app from iTunes called "iPlan" that is a scheduling program with monthly/weekly/day views. Then I downloaded an app called "Emoji Icons" that allows me to select from dozens of icons to display. Emoji works with any Ipod/Iphone app. By clicking on the world icon on the popup keyboard (after installing Emoji) I can select icons in lieu of letters or numbers.

This at least gives you one of the features of Datebk6. Good Luck

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2010, 03:44 PM

As one of the people who knows the founder of Pimlico and developed the app for Windows MObile, BlackBerry, and now iPhone that is in the same genre - I'll offer up our product, Pocket Informant. Its been an award-winning PIM for WM for 8 years running, and recently on BlackBerry, and iPhone we've been in the top sales and review spots.

BlackBerry
Welcome to WebIS.net - Pocket Informant BlackBerry

iPhone
Welcome to WebIS.net - Pocket Informant iPhone/iPod Touch

gulmatan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by alex_kac View Post
As one of the people who knows the founder of Pimlico and developed the app for Windows MObile, BlackBerry, and now iPhone that is in the same genre - I'll offer up our product, Pocket Informant. Its been an award-winning PIM for WM for 8 years running, and recently on BlackBerry, and iPhone we've been in the top sales and review spots.

BlackBerry
Welcome to WebIS.net - Pocket Informant BlackBerry

iPhone
Welcome to WebIS.net - Pocket Informant iPhone/iPod Touch
Well, sounds good!!! Let me take this a few steps further, then. Since you're familiar with both, could you give a feature-by-feature comparison between PI & DateBk6. I would appreciate that because, if I can find a nearly identical replacement for DateBk6, it makes my decision to go to an iPhoneOS device all the more certain.

Thanks
PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz/1GB RAM/OS/X (10.4.11)
Windows--A fate in league with Communism.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 04:07 PM

I tried Pocket Informant, but the grid view is laid out all wrong. Instead of mirroring a paper date book, they do Monday in the upper left, then Tuesday across from it in the upper right. Below Monday is Wednesday, then directly across from that is Thursday. I asked about it and was told that the way Pocket Informant does it is the standard. Hm. I guess all those paper date books were wrong!

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2010, 07:50 PM

So that week view is actually an interesting story. It's based off the Newton's and something we have had for almost 10 years. Most people loved it and we find about 70% of our users love it. But the rest who dislike it dislike it vehemently.

On other platforms we introduced a column week style and on the iPhone we are doing so as well. The column week view (like what you see in iCal our Outlook) is in the next version and being beta tested now. Our Twitter feed even has a screenshot of it.

As for a DateBk6 to PI comparison, that's hard to do. Its not a clone, port, or whatnot. It's not going to match perfectly and it matters what platform you run it on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules