Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New RAM possibly faulty?

New RAM possibly faulty?
Desterado
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 01:35 PM

I recently ordered 2GB of RAM for my Macbook Pro and I installed it yesterday, everything has been running fine for almost a whole day. I wakeup this morning my computer is locked up...no big deal it has happened with this notebook before, so I shrugged it off and reset.

I use my computer like normal and before I know it it Kernel panics on me. A few times. I'm running it again right now and I removed "Menumeters" from my bar up top...I figured maybe that was the problem haha I'm not really sure.

I'm running Safari cause I fear that perhaps Firefox was causing the problems with the kernel panics.

In any case I am going to run a memory test and see if anything shows up. As far as everyone here is concerned Crucial is a good brand and...that's probably not the source of my issues?

-Tom

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2006, 02:00 PM

Make sure your new RAM is completely seated and try again. If you stil get KPs, then replace the new RAM with the old RAM that you know worked. See if the problem goes away. If it does, add one stick at a time and try to isolate the bad stick(you got 2 - 1GB sticks right that replaced a single 512?)

Buena suerte
Zack

Desterado  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 03:01 PM

I got two gig sticks to replace two 512s.

It's weird I just ran the memtest again and it worked perfectly...

Is it perhaps the heat that is an issue?

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2006, 06:46 PM

memtest or other software tests do not reveal all problems with memory.

I had problems with 4 gigs of ECC RAM I bought for my Quad last year and none of the programs indicated errors. The problem came when I loaded up the memory under cpu intensive tasks . . . the system would KP.

Try plugging your old RAM back in and see what happens. If the problem goes away, the memory would be highly suspect.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

Desterado  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 01:41 AM

YEP

I took the new ram out, put the old stuff in.....no problems at all anymore. I called Crucial and they are gonna replace the faulty stuff. Hopefully it's a one time thing. From what I know bad ram is relatively rare.

Forum Links
Forum Rules