Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MPB rev1 New LB still burns + new sound

MPB rev1 New LB still burns + new sound
johnnie518
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 07:19 PM

I sent in my 2.0 MBP about a month ago for repair. I got it back with a new logic board, and they said the heating issue was inrange of their specs... meaning they didn't even run the machine hard enough to see that it burns! So the problem I'm having now is that I hear the sound of a fan/hum running near the lower area left speaker, near the left shift key. I use SMC Fan Control and set it to idle at 1000, and I can hear it noticably. I remember before the repair I didn't hear this sound. When turn up the fans in fan control to 3000rpm, I hear separate fans turning on and I can still hear that specific 'hum.' Could this be the new logic board 'trying' to cool things? or just the processor? Please let me know if any of you had insights about this or need more information.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2006, 03:40 PM

I've got an early 15"MBP, arrived Feb28, that has suffered a dead left fan and two batteries. The first replacement battery was before Apple knew what the problem and affected lots were and was from the bad bunch. New battery works long time. I tried smcFanControl, but prefer Fan Control Pref Pane - more adjustable.

My MBP is virtually silent until the fans get up over 2500rpm, but no hum... When the left fan died, something had shifted, the fan sounded like baseball cards in bicycle spokes. All repairs/replacements have been warranteed and I'm happy with the MBP now. Fasssst and cooool.

Does your "hum" change with fan speed or is it constant? If it's constant it could be a 60cycle hum from your mains power(unless you're outside the USA, then it might be a 50cycle hum...) although I've never heard of an Apple laptop having that problem, usually caused by a bad ground in the audio circuitry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules