Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Learned spelling words

Learned spelling words
Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2008, 03:02 PM

When I tell OSX to 'learn' a word that comes up on Spelling Check where exactly is that saved? It seems on my system that there is more than one place 'learned' words are saved. If I look at the file 'en' in homefolder/library/spelling there are only a couple of words shown but there are lots of words that I've told my system to learn.

I just did a test and entered a bunch of names and told OSX to 'learn' them. If I type them again they are no longer high lighted as misspelled but they don't show up when I open the 'en' file where they are supposed to be saved.

So where are learned words saved?

Thanks,

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2008, 03:26 PM

They're stored in that file, but if I'm not mistaken, they don't get updated on the fly (they're stored in memory and committed to the file at a later time).

Note also that there is an unprintable character that's used as a delimiter, so you'll want a text editor such as BBEdit or emacs that can display them (or use a hex editor).

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2008, 06:32 PM

Some of my learned works, mostly names, have been 'learned' for several months now and yet still do not show up in the en file.

adc89
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2008, 05:28 PM

On a similar note, is there any way to 'unlearn' words?

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2008, 05:32 PM

While learning words is available throughout most Cocoa apps, unlearning them isn't. Some of the ones that do support unlearning are TextEdit and Stickies. What you need to do is highlight the previously learned word and bring up the contextual menu, which brings up the "Unlearn" option.

Alternatively, you can always bring up the "show spelling and grammar" pane (within the Spelling & Grammar contextual menu option).

Forum Links
Forum Rules