Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard question and WWDC

Snow Leopard question and WWDC
money69
Jun 8, 2009, 07:46 PM

I have 2 questions about today's WWDC. First of all, it says it will be $29 for existing Leopard owners, how will they verify that? Leopard came with my iMac and I would definitely upgrade at a $29 price tag, anyone know how this upgrade system will work? Is it on the honor system?

Also, anyone know when/where the keynote video will be posted?

Thanks

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2009, 07:52 PM

The upgrade discs usually just check if you've got the required OS installed and refuse to do anything if you don't.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2009, 01:46 PM

'Check for OS X.txt'? or something similar, can't remember exactly.

Ahhhh, the good old days. But I've got Leopard on both my machines so don't have to worry.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2009, 02:11 PM

Given the tiny number of non-10.5 users who can install 10.6, I doubt they'll even bother checking and the three guys still running 10.4 on their Intel Macs get lucky.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Given the tiny number of non-10.5 users who can install 10.6, I doubt they'll even bother checking and the three guys still running 10.4 on their Intel Macs get lucky.
Lot more than you think, especially schools. There's no easy way to upgrade. I'm hoping Apple will let us get the $29 upgrade even for our Tiger machines.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2009, 12:48 AM

I wonder if this will be similar to the 10.1 upgrade disc, where you could repackage it to be a full install instead.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Lot more than you think, especially schools. There's no easy way to upgrade. I'm hoping Apple will let us get the $29 upgrade even for our Tiger machines.
Apple shipped ~8MM Intel Macs with Tiger and ~17MM with Leopard. Throw in even 2MM upgrades (the number of copies sold in the first *weekend*, but many of those were PPC) and you're over 75% of Intel Macs on Leopard.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2009, 11:22 AM

I dono I'm tempted to buy the 129 dollar disk since if you need to reinstall on a new HD or something do you wanna waste your time installing leopard then doing a fresh install of snow leopard over top? Unless the disks just are normal OS install disks priced at 29 dollars

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I'm hoping Apple will let us get the $29 upgrade even for our Tiger machines.
Apple would not allow that. If you did not pay for Leopard you should not be entitled to Snow Leopard for $29. If someone were a Tiger user, paid for Leopard (129.95) and is now going to upgrade to Snow Leopard they should only have to pay $29. See the difference between that person and you.

As far as schools, Apple may work something out for them. I can see a university looking to upgrade 5,000 Leopard computers getting a deal, but not anyone with an Intel machine running Tiger that passed on Leopard.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2009, 01:04 AM

I'm getting the 10.6 upgrade DVD, if it doesn't let me do a fresh install on my iMac (without installing 10.5 first) I will have to circumvent that somehow...

oh yeah, 10.6 is FAAAASST! wow. just wow.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I dono I'm tempted to buy the 129 dollar disk since if you need to reinstall on a new HD or something do you wanna waste your time installing leopard then doing a fresh install of snow leopard over top? Unless the disks just are normal OS install disks priced at 29 dollars
Why not just get the $29 disc and a $50 external hard drive? Install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard once to a 20 GB partition of that hard drive, and then clone from it as necessary. You could use the rest of the hard drive for backups.

Heck, you could even install it on a USB pen drive (although it'd be slow).

OreoCookie
Jun 13, 2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Proudest Monkey View Post
As far as schools, Apple may work something out for them. I can see a university looking to upgrade 5,000 Leopard computers getting a deal, but not anyone with an Intel machine running Tiger that passed on Leopard.
For 10.4, my university cut a deal. They had disc images and staff was allowed to install it on their Macs if they wanted to. For 10.5, there was no such deal, though, we paid the full retail price for each Mac. It'll be easy to convince my boss to upgrade to 10.6
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules