Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Superbowl

Superbowl
Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2013, 12:47 PM

As a long time Ravens fan, I can't be happier.

What are your thoughts on the big dance?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 4, 2013, 12:51 PM

I think it might be XBOX Live's least active day of the year.

andi*pandi
Feb 4, 2013, 01:20 PM

The puppybowl was cute.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2013, 01:54 PM

I watched the game with some pretty die-hard 49ers fans, and in that atmosphere is was quite the intense game to watch. The power outage was certainly one of the most bizarre things I've seen in a sporting event of this magnitude.

While I have nothing but respect for Ray Lewis' football ability, I cannot stand his mouth and all this god nonsense he spouts all the time, it's really tiring. I guess when you are forever attached to a double homicide the only way to redeem yourself is to become an overbearing christian.

When the 49ers were tapping at the goal line there was one pivotal play that pretty much sealed their fate. It was designed to be a fake run to the right and Kaepernick was going to bootleg to the left and run it in. The play clock ran out and they had to burn a timeout, but from what I saw in the snap that was a touchdown play, as the Ravens were not set up properly. Rookie QB mistake, but he'll be back.

Also, I hope the Pats sign Ed Reed.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2013, 02:32 PM

I voted the Power Outage as MVP.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2013, 03:23 PM

I guess when you are forever attached to a double homicide the only way to redeem yourself is to become an overbearing christian.
This. It's Lewis' security blanket and shield vs. scrutiny. He's a killer, IMO after reading the case details, and if he weren't a pro ball player he'd be serving time as an accessory and for obstruction.

As for the SB, I wonder how much a team of officials costs these days? It had to be quite a bit if you can just push and smack them around on national TV and not even draw a flag, much less an ejection. What a sorry state of affairs. I'm going back to college FB only, at least their naughtiness doesn't extend much farther than recruiting violations and the NCAA does a decent job in oversight.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2013, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
As for the SB, I wonder how much a team of officials costs these days? It had to be quite a bit if you can just push and smack them around on national TV and not even draw a flag, much less an ejection.
The NFL is certainly going to hand that gentleman a rather large fine after the fact of, but I too was very surprised that did not warrant an ejection from the game. You can't so much as touch a ref, never-mind shoving him a few feet backwards.

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2013, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The NFL is certainly going to hand that gentleman a rather large fine after the fact of, but I too was very surprised that did not warrant an ejection from the game. You can't so much as touch a ref, never-mind shoving him a few feet backwards.
Cary Williams was getting kicked in the head to the point that his helmet came off. He got up protecting himself and the Ref understood that - hence no penalty. The ref had just pushed the fortyniner off of cary's back as williams was getting up.

Snow-i  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
This. It's Lewis' security blanket and shield vs. scrutiny. He's a killer, IMO after reading the case details, and if he weren't a pro ball player he'd be serving time as an accessory and for obstruction.

As for the SB, I wonder how much a team of officials costs these days? It had to be quite a bit if you can just push and smack them around on national TV and not even draw a flag, much less an ejection. What a sorry state of affairs. I'm going back to college FB only, at least their naughtiness doesn't extend much farther than recruiting violations and the NCAA does a decent job in oversight.
What's noticeably absent from Wikipedia on the matter is the alleged prosecutor's statements to 3rd parties after the controversy saying "We never believed Ray was directly involved, but used the charge as a means to get him to roll over on who we thought was responsible"

Ray's withholding evidence was a mistake, that he admits, but not one that makes him a killer. If you took a look at Ray's body of work as a human he is leaps and bounds ahead of most of the world. He was headed down the wrong path and when the shit hit the fan, turned his life around to be a force of good. You may not like him, but you have to respect his career both on and off the field. I know haters are gonna hate, but the NFL will likely never see another player like Ray Ray (17 years one team, etc).

The Caw: Ray Lewis Meets With Grief-Stricken Boy

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2013, 10:22 PM

I won $100 because the Ravens gave up that safety at the end of the game!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2013, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
What's noticeably absent from Wikipedia on the matter is the alleged prosecutor's statements to 3rd parties after the controversy saying "We never believed Ray was directly involved, but used the charge as a means to get him to roll over on who we thought was responsible"

Ray's withholding evidence was a mistake, that he admits, but not one that makes him a killer. If you took a look at Ray's body of work as a human he is leaps and bounds ahead of most of the world. He was headed down the wrong path and when the shit hit the fan, turned his life around to be a force of good. You may not like him, but you have to respect his career both on and off the field. I know haters are gonna hate, but the NFL will likely never see another player like Ray Ray (17 years one team, etc).

The Caw: Ray Lewis Meets With Grief-Stricken Boy

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2013, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The puppybowl was cute.
I don't have cable any more, so I missed it, but I always remember wondering what was going through the "referee's" head.

When he was dreaming of becoming a professional actor, did he imagine the gig where he picked up poop on basic cable?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2013, 06:39 AM

I don't understand american football. I watched some of the game, but I just don't know the rules. Its a strange, strange game. Like right at the end, the clock ran down about 40 seconds while the ball was out of play. What was that about?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2013, 08:43 AM

Yeah, football has a lot of complicated rules - the coaches are possibly the most important of any pro sport IMO.

On the other hand, cricket is also crazy and strange if you've never seen it before. So is baseball, and hockey has some arcane rules as well....
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2013, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Yeah, football has a lot of complicated rules - the coaches are possibly the most important of any pro sport IMO.

On the other hand, cricket is also crazy and strange if you've never seen it before. So is baseball, and hockey has some arcane rules as well....
As far as I can tell, Baseball is just an activity designed to generate stats rather than a typical sport. Cricket is indeed a strange beast. To quote Bill Bryson "the only sport in the world to incorporate meal breaks."
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2013, 10:26 PM

We went to a cricket match in Derby, it was a bewildering thing. I asked a very nice older fellow sitting next to us if, with brevity, he could explain the rules. With a good-natured laugh he said he couldn't. What he did explain only made me more confused.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2013, 10:37 PM

The sum of my relationship with cricket:

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2013, 09:59 AM

Yeah, I once spent a whole day watching it as well.....when I started to finally think I'd figured out what was going on, suddenly someone would do something that totally contradicted what I'd worked out.

Of course, baseball's no different, really - a while back I went to a Jays game with someone who had never played and didn't know how, and just by having to explain what was happening I realized it's also got a lot of weird rules that would be hard to pick up without having them explained.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Yeah, I once spent a whole day watching it as well.....when I started to finally think I'd figured out what was going on, suddenly someone would do something that totally contradicted what I'd worked out.
I'd blame John Nathan Turner for that.

Rumor
Feb 6, 2013, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I won $100 because the Ravens gave up that safety at the end of the game!
So did I. Sadly I didn't win the whole pot of $200 cause someone had the right numbers for the first half. Then again, all 100 squares were filled this year.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules