Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 9.9.2014 Wish we could say more.

9.9.2014 Wish we could say more. (Page 3)
Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by RobOnTheCape View Post
Anyone else getting a Chinese translation while watching the event?
Yep. I think everyone's getting it. Although at this point it won't even stream for me. I've tried two different internet connections to no avail.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 01:20 PM

This is just an epic fail. Amatuer hour. It won't load for crap, keeps skipping around in time and when it does play it's super pixelated and there is a Chinese translator talking over everything. What the hell?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2014, 01:21 PM

Total fubar of a live stream!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

andi*pandi
Sep 9, 2014, 01:21 PM

test card here, but the slides are streaming below.
http://www.apple.com/live/2014-sept-event/

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2014, 01:22 PM

Repeating the Xcode scaling CNN app now. I'm out.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2014, 01:25 PM

Check out this slide! Great work Apple. The new iPhone is 50% faster than the original! Ugh....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 9, 2014, 01:31 PM

edit: Ha! Athiest beat me to it!

Apple controls the tiles that show up on their live feed, right?

Because that's embarrassing.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 01:31 PM

That's supposed to happen every 18 months!

andi*pandi
Sep 9, 2014, 01:32 PM

"WiFi calling will be available on the 6 and 6 Plus."

really? hmmm.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 9, 2014, 01:34 PM

Also, I'll give the 6 a chance, but odds are I'll be grabbing a 5s come October.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2014, 01:37 PM

Can even load apple.com come now:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.apple.com/live/2014-sept-event/" on this server.
Reference #18.1441f648.1410284009.37315d6

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2014, 01:52 PM

Wasn't expecting Apple to be the ones bringing something chip and PIN like to the US.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 01:55 PM

Someone needs to sit every apple executive down in a small room. Each seated comfortably in a chair, with a screen in front of them... and then they all need to sit there and watch what we're seeing in the stream. They need to sit there and just soak it in for 2 hours. No talking. No checking their phones. Just sit and watch the epic failure.

This is complete balls.

Now it's alternating between a live stream and the footage of people finding their seats. 30 seconds of show, 10 seconds of finding seats. 30 seconds of show, 10 seconds of seats.

It's constantly cutting out. It wouldn't load for crap in the first hour. Had a horrible chinese translation over everything... Kept cutting to a ridiculous 1992 looking test pattern... I mean, what the ****? Really guys?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2014, 02:05 PM

Does "we worked really, really hard" count as a "we worked out butts off" for Keynote bingo?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2014, 02:06 PM

Jony has officially become a caricature of himself.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2014, 02:11 PM

I'm laughing in fits and bursts.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Sep 9, 2014, 02:16 PM

Watch. Doesn't look bad, but I don't see how using map on a tiny screen is going to be at all useful, when even my 4S seems too small for maps.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 02:21 PM

The digital crown looks like a pain to use. Honestly my first thought was using the top of the watch as a touch sensitive sensor and enabling command via sliding your finger tip left and right.

If you wanted to be cheesy, have a round watch face and put the digital crown around the outside, sort of like an old school click wheel.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2014, 02:25 PM

That little rotary switch better be built out of titanium or something or it'll wear out in a year or so.....Just in time for V.2.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The digital crown looks like a pain to use. Honestly my first thought was using the top of the watch as a touch sensitive sensor and enabling command via sliding your finger tip left and right.

If you wanted to be cheesy, have a round watch face and put the digital crown around the outside, sort of like an old school click wheel.
It has to be usable by people with fake nails, so I'm guessing you don't need to grip it like a real crown, and can just roll it with the tip of your finger/thumb.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 02:27 PM

AppleWatch:
-Accessory of iPhone (severely limits the audience)
-Smartwatches seem to be glorified notification screens (with a clock)
-Looks.... not good.

I wasnt interested in 'smartwatches' before the presentation, and im not interested in them now.

I dont know whether or not it will be a success, but i personally am not very interested. (And they haven't even announced pricing).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 02:32 PM

So, anyway, who wants to start the thread that we now are certain innovation is dead at Apple since Jobs' untimely passing?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 02:32 PM

Also not interested. I don't understand the point. Anything I can do on my watch will be 10 times better on my phone and I always have my phone.

I mean, yeah, it's pretty cool, but I won't pay more than $150 for one. Not this one anyway. Unless something else is going to be revealed about it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 02:35 PM

Introduce phone with giant screen so its easier see, then introduce watch with tiny screen to use it

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2014, 02:35 PM

So, anyway, who wants to start the thread that we now are certain innovation is dead at Apple since Jobs' untimely passing?
Can't innovate my ass.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Can't innovate my ass.
I may be wrong, but this is their first big post-jobs product reveal and nobody here cares.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 02:42 PM

Starts at $349? You got to be kidding me.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 02:47 PM

I may be wrong, but this is their first big post-jobs product reveal and nobody here cares.
Apple Watch.... pretty much looks the same as every other smartwatch on the market today. Noting special, nothing differentiating the overall experience, and the UI (digital crown) looks more cumbersome.

I wasnt really interested in smartwatches before the presentation. I was hoping Apple could come up with the right formula for a device that I would want; and well...post-presentation... i'm still not interested in smartwatches.

I wonder if 'smartwatches' for now are just going to be a passing fad; like netbooks were until the iPad was announced.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2014, 02:49 PM

I'm quoting Phil Schiller.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 02:51 PM

I'm quoting Phil Schiller.
Try putting it quotes next time

OreoCookie
Sep 9, 2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Starts at $349? You got to be kidding me.
Isn't that in line with what other smart watches cost?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 02:57 PM

It's $100 more than the Moto 360.

I still don't understand the appeal of smartwatches. I don't think Apple has a hit here. I'm predicting a collective meh from the press and customers.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 02:57 PM

Well, iPhone 6 looks about as good as you'd expect: hardware is top-notch, design is nice, battery life looks better-than-iP5s (which is to say, "okay"...as someone else mentioned, I'd take more battery life and a slightly thicker phone any day of the week, but there it is), and camera is likely better than iP5 and thus as good or better than anything else out there that isn't a Nokia.

I'll get it. Crossing my fingers that iOS 8 actually really improves the experience a lot.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2014, 02:58 PM

Isn't the new Mac Pro (trash can) a post Jobs item?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
AppleWatch:
-Accessory of iPhone (severely limits the audience)
Out of curiosity, is there another smartwatch with a larger potential audience?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 03:00 PM

As for the Smartwatch...I will have to see one in person I guess, but I'm also non-committal at this point.

Having said that, I'm glad we have continued the long tradition of Apple announcing something, someone saying "Meh, I'd pay $x", then Apple announcing the price as $2x and people losing their collective minds.....and all of it seemingly having no correlation on whether the product is actually good or successful, of course.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 03:06 PM

Also, lolwtf:

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.apple.com/" on this server.
Reference #18.b823fea5.1410289537.1acd8f5

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2014, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post

I still don't understand the appeal of smartwatches. I don't think Apple has a hit here. I'm predicting a collective meh from the press and customers.
I think for the most part, the MacNN crowd is a bunch of old farts and not really the target consumer of a smart watch. I predict Apple will sell a shitload of them and it will become an incredibly successful product line for years to come. I think developers will come up with ingenious ways to take advantage of the technology. Just as so many people pooh-poohed the idea of the iPhone, many will say the Apple Watch is dead in the water. I'm confident they will be proved wrong.

OreoCookie
Sep 9, 2014, 03:08 PM

I thought the Samsung Gear smart watches sell for ~$300.
I still don't understand the appeal of smartwatches. I don't think Apple has a hit here.
I see the appeal when it comes to sports, and I'd like to have one for that. But I don't see the need for all those notifications on my wrist, so I'm skeptical about the category rather than Apple's incarnation. On the other hand, I can see that Apple Watch could drive the computer-ification of a lot of other categories.

If you look at who Apple has hired over the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if they try and modernize other categories.
I'm predicting a collective meh from the press and customers.
That'll be true independently of whether the Apple Watch will be a success or not. This is the only thing which was consistent: whining and moaning by the press even in the face of products which are now considered revolutionary (iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad).

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 03:09 PM

A smartphone is already a compromised computing experience. You sacrifice usability for extreme portability. You make the tradeoff because it's so life changing to have such an amazing communication tool with you at all times. So what does a smartwatch let you do on top of that? Very little. You're sacrificing way way more usability and limiting yourself to an extremely tiny array of features when compared to even your phone.... which you'll already have on you. I just don't think it's a big deal to reach into your pocket to do something. Definitely not a "starting at $349" big deal.

I don't think this is going to be a big hit. Not right away anyway. It's going to go over with a collective meh from the press and consumers.

andi*pandi
Sep 9, 2014, 03:09 PM

free u2 album crashing the store... but I got it!

benefit of watch over phone, is you don't have to put it in a pocket. So if it really works for airline tickets or whatnot, that's an improvement.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2014, 03:10 PM

Try putting it quotes next time
"Can't make a joke my ass."

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Good point. It has a larger audience than other smartphones (Not sure if its an OS thing or a phone thing). But limited none-the-less, as people who dont have/use iPhones would not be able to use it.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2014, 03:12 PM

Also.... Starting at $349 means, the one you want is going to be $500+.

OreoCookie
Sep 9, 2014, 03:19 PM

A smartphone is already a compromised computing experience. You sacrifice usability for extreme portability. You make the tradeoff because it's so life changing to have such an amazing communication tool with you at all times. So what does a smartwatch let you do on top of that? Very little.
Well, they did everything »right«: they developed a new user interface paradigm, thought of a few use cases to optimize for (sports and ultra-connected people), married hardware and software, and poured it in an elegant form. Sports resonates with me while getting notifications all the time does not. However, some members on this forum (I think Phileas and Shaddim) were very vocal that they desire a smart watch that notifies them of most things.
I don't think this is going to be a big hit. Not right away anyway. It's going to go over with a collective meh from the press and consumers.
I don't think it needs to be a big hit right away. I don't think there is a single product category which could become »a new iPhone« in terms of growth and revenue.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2014, 03:20 PM

I'm disappointed that the base model is still only 16GB. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that the price difference between a 16 and 32GB chip is negligible enough they could make 32 the base and have a leg up on any competition. Especially since it can't be expanded.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 03:24 PM

"Can't make a joke my ass."
*tips hat*

Probably not, but the same could be said about AppleTV and GoogleTV. SO basically, it may not be a failure but it probably won't be a success, either.

I'm disappointed that the base model is still only 16GB.
How many years running has this happened? Ridiculous.

OreoCookie
Sep 9, 2014, 03:26 PM

My mechanical watch cost about that, I have an heirloom which costs significantly more. If you think of watches as a fashion accessory, I don't think the pricing is off. It's a step above the competition just like most of Apple's products.

I sound like I'm defending them involuntarily, but I don't think the price is one of the major problems. My two most important issues are
(1) Extension to other use cases
(2) Battery life (battery life was not mentioned during the keynote, nor was battery size or so)

When it comes to use cases, I remember Steve's intro of the iPhone: do you remember when the crowd cheered least? When he said »Internet Communicator« which arguably is the main stay of the iPhone (and all other smartphones) now.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2014, 03:26 PM

This is what scares me.

I don't mind the smaller 1.5" Watch, especially since I have narrow wrists, but that is going to be a difficult sum to pay for a lot of people who just paid $399 for a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus.

And despite that beautiful intro video (that was slightly porn-ish, if we're honest), I think the Moto 360 would look just as good if it wasn't so freaking huge.

All that said, I'll be getting a 64GB iPhone 6 (4.7") and will probably splurge on a smaller Apple Watch if I can find some things to sell before then.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 9, 2014, 03:27 PM

$649 contract free. I'm not sure I'll be able to talk myself into this after a price drop next year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules