Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook 12" screen replacement?

powerbook 12" screen replacement?
crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 11:31 AM

hi,

the screen in my friend's Powerbook G4 12" (1 GHz) cracked in an unfortunate accident. I was wondering if it was possible to install an iBook 12" LCD screen on this computer as these parts seem to be pretty readily available. Alternatively, does anyone know of a good source for this part?
thanks!

lucas3735
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 11:43 AM

12" PowerBook 1.33Ghz

crouchingtiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 12:09 PM

thanks for the link. I should have clarified -- I've investigated pretty much all the Mac repair shops but I'm trying to do this "on the cheap", so to speak. iBook LCDs are available for about $150, but I have a feeling that if it was so easy then this would be better known...

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 01:28 PM

Well considering that it list's 3 different 12" LCDs for the iBook, I doubt the $150 will work unless it is from the latest model and both the latest iBook and PB share the same screen.

http://www.pbparts.com/shop/_i

I know you are trying to replace just the LCD itself, but according to this site: http://www.pbfixit.com/cart/catalog/..._Assembly.html

The display assembly contains the Airport and Bluetooth antennas, are you able to get the LCD out of that housing to begin with? Furthermore, are you guys sure there is nothing else broken (ie booted up with an external monitor)? If there are other things that need to be fixed, it might just be cheaper getting a replacement altogether.

Also you may want to check eBay to see if anyone has auctioned them off, does not appear to be any at the moment.
( Last edited by SplijinX; Aug 18, 2004 at 01:33 PM. )
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

Forum Links
Forum Rules