Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The New MacBook Pro's with LED-backlit display

The New MacBook Pro's with LED-backlit display (Page 2)
pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Grande View Post
Once slight case change is they evened up the top part of the bezel where the iSight is, its now the same thickness all the way around. This was something that always slightly bugged me about my CDMBP. See here: http://geeksugar.com/296213
Wow. Pretty damn cool.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2007, 07:47 PM

In that iSight comparison it also looks like the new display is brighter, even when viewed at an angle.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2007, 08:48 PM

High Resolution Display option for 17 Inch MacBook Pro, now there's something I hand't noticed.

Maybe its time to order an upgrade? It'll be the same resolution as my cinema displays... way to go apple!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2007, 08:53 PM

1920x1200 at 17" can make for some tiny text, though.

Right now the computer I'm using has a 24" 1920x1200 display, and I just can't imagine using it crammed down to 17" ona daily basis.

I did however use a Dell D800 for a while at work - it was a 15.4" display at 1920x1200. Now that was some tiny text. I hated it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
I did however use a Dell D800 for a while at work - it was a 15.4" display at 1920x1200. Now that was some tiny text. I hated it.
Make your fonts bigger (in apps like Firefox) or use zoom (in apps like Word). The text will still look better, and you'll still be able to see more of images or better looking images.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 09:06 PM

1920x1200 at 17" can make for some tiny text, though.]
Wait till 10.5

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2007, 09:06 PM

Think Leopard.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2007, 09:19 PM

Right now the computer I'm using has a 24" 1920x1200 display, and I just can't imagine using it crammed down to 17" ona daily basis.

I wouldn't mind a 1920 x 1200 15.4 inch MacBook Pro, all you have to do is make website type bigger, everything else such as word can be easily adjusted.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2007, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Until someone buys one and tells us what wifi card is inside, it is not confirmed that the new MacBook Pro is using Santa Rosa. Santa Rosa is a complete platform in the Centrino family, and it requires three things: a mobile Intel CPU, a mobile Intel chipset, and Intel PRO/Wireless wifi.
For Santa Rosa those are a Merom CPU, a Crestline (965PM or GM) chipset, and Intel 4965AGN wifi; the new MBP has the first two, but in the past Apple has used a non-Intel (Atheros, I think) wifi chipset.
The chipset is obviously what I was referring to there. The specs page of the new MBP says that it has an 800 MHz bus, meaning that it has the new chipset associated with the Santa Rosa platform. Since the MacBook was just bumped and did not get the new chipset associated with the Santa Rosa platform (argh, just saying Santa Rosa was much easier!), it would seem that Apple is using this as a differentiator, and thus that the MacBook might not get the new chipset until a new one comes out and makes it previous-gen.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

tavin64
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2007, 02:11 AM

Apple will have to switch the macbook to santa rosa as well eventually. If anything just for the X3100 graphics. And btw to have santa rosa you dont need merom cpu, 965 chipset and intel wifi. Those are the requirements if you want to have the centrino badging. Just because you dont have the wifi it doesnt mean its not santa rosa platform. Santa rosa mostly has to do with the new 965 chipset on the motherboards that supports the 800mhz bus c2ds.

ddma
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2007, 02:30 AM

I have placed an order for the new MacBook Pro 17-inch with hi-res glossy display to replace my first gen MacBook Pro 15-inch The 1920x1200 hi-res is what made me decided to switch to 17-inch. If Apple had a higher res option for the 15-inch, I would stay.
The stupidest user.
.ddma.SAY - http://www.didierma.com

Super Mario
Jun 6, 2007, 03:17 AM

Either geeksugar has the lamest unbox photos of all time or the new screen isn't that impressive.

( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:26 PM. )

himself
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2007, 06:22 AM

It's really cool that the new MBP's come with 2GB ram standard... but strange the the MacPro still only comes with 1GB. I still wish that Apple offered a no ram option for the pro-level Macs for folks who would rather buy their own or already have memory on hand.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Super Mario
Jun 6, 2007, 06:43 AM

More vexation.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32341/118/

Hitachi's 200GB drive spins at 7200rpm. It's 250GB is 5400rpm. Apple isn't offering anything as good.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:27 PM. )

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2007, 07:02 AM

There is not much noise about turbo cache (robson cache). This was supposed to be a feature of santarosa...

It says 'smart cache' on the tech specs page but nothing else....

well have to see when ppl get it.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jun 6, 2007, 07:31 AM

The new mac book pro looks nice. I just wish they would make a 12 inch model or even a 10 inch model with the new chips and screen. The 15 and 17 inch are a tad bit large for good portability.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Brian Live
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2007, 09:11 AM

I picked up my new 15" last night at the Apple Store. The screen is super bright compared to my old G4 PowerBook. It looks incredible. The back lit keyboard looks slightly different, not a "bright white" as it was on the PB, it seems like the new LEDs makes the keyboard lighting have a somewhat pink/purple hue to it.

Overall I'm thrilled with my new purchase.

Pictures to follow later this week in the corresponding thread.
-Brian

 PowerMac G5 | Dual 2GHz PPC | 2.5 GB RAM | 30" Cinema Display
 Macbook Pro | 2.2 GHz Core2Duo | 2 GB RAM

Dark Goob
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2007, 09:30 AM

Am typing this from my new 2.4. Screen looks great! Definitely brighter. It definitely still has the "sparkly/grainy" look of the previous generation MacBook Pro 15" screens, though it's not terrible at all, it's definitely still there. I guess you have to go up to the 17" to get an 8-bit LCD? It's the same way with the iMac 24" as well -- the 24" is the only one that does not have the "grainy/sparkly" look to it. Oh well, I'll just sell this one in a year or so and hopefully by then they've fixed the problem. I think the extra brightness is a decent trade-off for any sparkleyness. The spacebar also squeaks annoyingly but hopefully that's just because it's new. ;p

Graphics performance seems great, SL runs very smoothly.

-=DG=-

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2007, 10:01 AM

Can someone post pics or provide a link showing the differences in the old and new 15" displays?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Super Mario
Jun 6, 2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Can someone post pics or provide a link showing the differences in the old and new 15" displays?
That geeksugar link at the top of this page. The photos are sh!t though. Waster of time.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:28 PM. )

Super Mario
Jun 6, 2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Goob View Post
Am typing this from my new 2.4. Screen looks great! Definitely brighter. It definitely still has the "sparkly/grainy" look of the previous generation MacBook Pro 15" screens, though it's not terrible at all, it's definitely still there. I guess you have to go up to the 17" to get an 8-bit LCD? -=DG=-
The 6 bit dithering thing never applied to MBP. Apple's documents state it only applies to a certain MacBook model. MBP's show all colors.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:28 PM. )

Dark Goob
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2007, 11:01 AM

Does anyone know what the total firewire bus speed is on the new model of MacBook Pro? On my PowerBook G4, even though it has a FW 800 and a FW 400 port, you cannot use the 800 and 400 at the same time since the maximum bus bandwidth is 800 (you have to get a FW PC-CARD to use both). Anyone know if the new MacBook Pro would require a FW Express Card to use both 800 and 400 simultaneously?
OK, answering my own question here: the new MacBook Pro only has an 800 mb/sec total FireWire bus speed. This means that if you want to use a FW 800 drive and a FW 400 device (such as video camera or hard drive) simultaneously, you must have a FireWire ExpressCard.

-=DG=-

Dark Goob
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
APPLE NEVER USED 8-BIT PANELS ON THEIR LAPTOPS!

The PowerBooks used 6-bit panels too. Most laptops do, because that's all that's been available. Perhaps the dithering method changed from one type of screen to the next.
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
The 6 bit dithering thing never applied to MBP. Apple's documents state it only applies to a certain MacBook model. MBP's show all colors.
Do you have a link to the documents to which you refer?

-=DG=-

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Once again, APPLE NEVER USED 8 BIT PANELS!
I quoted the wrong part. My concern is with the grainy LCD. We have those horrible LCDs on some older iBooks we purhcased for our school. My PowerBook G4 had a nice, clean, crisp LCD.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2007, 12:07 PM

That won't matter so much once Leopard comes out with the resolution independent GUI. You could have a 12" 1920x1200 OLED display and still make the GUI look as good as sharp as it did on an 800x600 12" display. Actually, the higher resolution 12" would look better since there'd be more pixles per inch for higher detail of images.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Live View Post
I picked up my new 15" last night at the Apple Store. The screen is super bright compared to my old G4 PowerBook. It looks incredible. The back lit keyboard looks slightly different, not a "bright white" as it was on the PB, it seems like the new LEDs makes the keyboard lighting have a somewhat pink/purple hue to it.
Arden Faire Apple Store must be the ass end of Apple Stores. I've called twice and they still don't have any of the new laptops.

suta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Think Leopard.
right! think Leopard
and BTO options for proc C2D 7700 (2.4GHz) like our PC fellow .... if there such thing

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2007, 12:36 PM

I just called my local store. I asked if they had the high-rez 17". Yup, they do.

I get there....

No, they don't (and they never did)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2007, 01:39 PM

OK, answering my own question here: the new MacBook Pro only has an 800 mb/sec total FireWire bus speed. This means that if you want to use a FW 800 drive and a FW 400 device (such as video camera or hard drive) simultaneously, you must have a FireWire ExpressCard.

-=DG=-
Huh, that's weird. I guess daisy-chaining is out of the question?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Brian Live
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2007, 01:45 PM

I just called my local store. I asked if they had the high-rez 17". Yup, they do.

I get there....

No, they don't (and they never did)

I don't think the new 17" MBPs are available at any of the Apple Stores just yet.
-Brian

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2007, 01:46 PM

I finally did it! I've joined the Intel world! After a long time of saving up to replace my almost-4-year-old Powerbook, I got one of these babies.

My biggest concern was getting the new screen in the hopes that it won't have the grainy defect, and I can say I'm very pleased!

I have posted a not-quite-review of my initial reactions from the first day of playing with it on my blog: The Go Button: First Impressions of the Macbook Pro, with a few basic pictures, and of course the useless look-how-bright-it-is-in-the-dark photo. I'm coming from an older model, so my reactions are mostly from that perspective. I haven't had a lot of time to read comments from other people who've bought this model, but so far I see no problems with it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2007, 02:03 PM

I don't think the new 17" MBPs are available at any of the Apple Stores just yet.
They are (read this thread). My store had them, just not the high-rez one like the girl said.

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2007, 03:32 PM

Can someone comment on the heat issues on the new models? Do they run as hot as the older ones?

Brian Live
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2007, 03:38 PM

They are (read this thread). My store had them, just not the high-rez one like the girl said.
Sorry, my mistake. When I was in the Apple Store yesturday, the employee told me only the 15" models had shipped.
-Brian

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2007, 03:52 PM

I hunkered down and ordered one from the web site. It should be here next week.

Hopefully this will be the last laptop I buy for a LONG time. It finally has pretty much everything important that I want.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by KP* View Post
My biggest concern was getting the new screen in the hopes that it won't have the grainy defect, and I can say I'm very pleased!
Am typing this from my new 2.4. Screen looks great! Definitely brighter. It definitely still has the "sparkly/grainy" look of the previous generation MacBook Pro 15" screens, though it's not terrible at all, it's definitely still there.
Hmm, so... is it there? Seems there is still a difference in opinion.

Guess I'll have to see for myself.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2007, 04:41 PM

I got mine from the Apple Store at the Burlington Mall in Burlington, MA. The guy I spoke to said they did not have the 17" model (at least I think that's what he said, I didn't really care as I was more concerned about the 15".)

I have not noticed a heat issue yet. It seems to be running cooler than my Powerbook. The armrest area is quite cool, and even the part closer to the screen and the power plug is warm, but I can hold my hand on it without getting burned. I haven't actually tried it on my lap yet -- the bottom is warm, but again I don't think it's as bad as my PB. I haven't been pushing it too hard recently, so I think it's still early to tell. There's definitely nothing abnormally hot about it.

I would say the grain is no longer there, but I am curious to see what others say. The screen is not 100% clear. If you drag a white window around you will see something, but I think if you really look you will see that on any screen. To me this looks much finer, and not the huge grainy splotches of the previous screen.

Rumor
Jun 6, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by giggs11 View Post

From my understanding, the grainy issues were only on the Macbook screens, not the Macbook Pro screens.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Brian Live
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2007, 04:44 PM

I got mine from the Apple Store at the Burlington Mall in Burlington, MA. The guy I spoke to said they did not have the 17" model (at least I think that's what he said, I didn't really care as I was more concerned about the 15".)

I have not noticed a heat issue yet. It seems to be running cooler than my Powerbook. The armrest area is quite cool, and even the part closer to the screen and the power plug is warm, but I can hold my hand on it without getting burned. I haven't actually tried it on my lap yet -- the bottom is warm, but again I don't think it's as bad as my PB. I haven't been pushing it too hard recently, so I think it's still early to tell. There's definitely nothing abnormally hot about it.

I would say the grain is no longer there, but I am curious to see what others say. The screen is not 100% clear. If you drag a white window around you will see something, but I think if you really look you will see that on any screen. To me this looks much finer, and not the huge grainy splotches of the previous screen.
I almost went there to get mine after work, but I decided to head up to Salem, NH. No sales tax.
-Brian

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2007, 05:37 PM

I'm leaning towards getting one now - having convinced myself about how great life will be with a one I'll hold off until I can A. sneak it into the house w/o the wife seeing it and more importantly any issues, such as heat or yet to be discovered problems with the display.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2007, 06:20 PM

I almost went there to get mine after work, but I decided to head up to Salem, NH. No sales tax.
Ah, sneaky. I'm not from the area, I just work here a few months a year. To me, buying it in Mass. with 5.5%(?) tax is heaven compared to back home in NYC (8.625%). I was happy to find it in stock, as I wasn't sure how the smaller Apple Stores fare with having stuff on the day of release.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2007, 07:40 PM

They have them in stock in the Apple canada stores as of this morning.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
From my understanding, the grainy issues were only on the Macbook screens, not the Macbook Pro screens.
Nope.

MacBook Pro 15" with "Grainy" Matte Display? - MacNN Forums

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2007, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by himself View Post
It's really cool that the new MBP's come with 2GB ram standard... but strange the the MacPro still only comes with 1GB. I still wish that Apple offered a no ram option for the pro-level Macs for folks who would rather buy their own or already have memory on hand.
I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon, as Apple's always sold things that worked out of the box.

pete
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2007, 06:14 AM

The grain is no longer there. The matte screens have an anti-glare layer and, as you say, that will always be slightly visible when you drag things around like that, but it's not noticeable on the new LEDs. Grain is no longer an issue in my opinion.
( Last edited by pete; Jun 8, 2007 at 07:16 AM. )

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2007, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Grande View Post
Once slight case change is they evened up the top part of the bezel where the iSight is, its now the same thickness all the way around. This was something that always slightly bugged me about my CDMBP. See here: http://geeksugar.com/296213
Actually, this is one of the first things I noticed. Very happy they did this.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by himself View Post
I still wish that Apple offered a no ram option for the pro-level Macs for folks who would rather buy their own or already have memory on hand.
Never going to happen. Apple sells solutions and computer systems not kits for people to add on too.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Jun 8, 2007, 08:42 AM

Tempting. Must resist.

Resisted. Waiting for something better.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

Dark Goob
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2007, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by giggs11 View Post

It's really not bad at all. I think it may just be on the matte ones. Anyway it's good enough for me, after all, it's just an LCD. I still use a 21" Apple Studio Display (Sony Trinitron tube) for my main screen... so much smoother and more accurate color. And hey, it was only $15 on craigslist!

-=DG=-

pete
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2007, 06:47 AM

The matte ones are treated with an antiglare coating which is very slightly visible when you drag a white window around. HOWEVER, this is completely normal for matte LCDs. The previous ones must have had a thick/defective layer because they were awful with a strong grain/dust/shimmer effect. I have the new LED and, trust me, grain is no longer an issue at all.
( Last edited by pete; Jun 9, 2007 at 12:30 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules