Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Neo-Progressivism is a cancer within our society

Neo-Progressivism is a cancer within our society (Page 7)
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2015, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
You're no Clarence Thomas, Charles Bolden or Dr. Ben Carson.
And I'll say it again. That's NOT what you said. Let's just rewind ....

Originally Posted by BadKosh
Typical. compartmentalisation.

Its a bigger thing than you realize.

The problem is the black 'Culture' not race. My best friends include folks from the west indies, and friends who were black, but high income, so they were also denigrated. The "average to lower IQ blacks" are really the issue as they follow liberal BS, and indoctrination, and have become WORTHLESS in the job market.
I mean right there you make the claim that "average to lower IQ blacks" are "liberal" ... with the implication that "high income" and "high IQ" blacks are not. And that "high income" blacks are "denigrated". Which is a bogus claim on several levels. First of all, African-Americans are one of the most socially conservative ethnic groups in the country. And African-Americans are also one of the most politically Democratic ethnic group in the country. Regardless of income or IQ level. And then we ended up with this ...

Originally Posted by OAW
My point is there are PLENTY of very intelligent, upper-middle class and higher African-Americans who are by no means conservative Republicans. So I'll ask you again ... in your estimation are they not a part of "black culture"?
To which you responded ...

Originally Posted by BadKosh
No. Not really. They are actually cultured. They also don't try to push their blackness into anyones face, or focus upon race as the only thing that matters, nor do they blame their shortcomings on white people.
Now these are your own words man so don't tip toe around it now and start talking about Clarence Thomas! Again ... "High Income" and "High IQ" are objective measures. A guy like Clarence Thomas is persona non grata with the vast majority of the African-American community because he embraces a political ideology that benefits him personally yet is hostile to our interests collectively. The man is by no means "denigrated" because he's smart and makes a lot of money. That's just the kind of crazy talk that clueless conservatives like to tell themselves. So let's be very clear here. Even when you were given the opportunity to walk back your statement ... you chose to double-down on it ...

And you just came right out and said that intelligent, high income black people are NOT indicative of "black culture".

So screw you. And good night.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 16, 2015 at 09:15 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2015, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Yep. Everybody's lying. Sure buddy.
No, just the ones acting like victims.

So the ongoing racial hostility these black students are experiencing on predominantly white campus are either just a "lie" ... or it's real and they just need to accept it because assholes like you simply don't want to hear it. Sure buddy.
They're experiencing hostility now, after basically calling all the other students around them racists, disrupting class, and generally being dicks while turning the whole ****ing college on its ear, believing that somehow their brand of troubles are more important than anyone else's.

I never claimed that I did. Nice attempt at deflection. What I am doing is actually LISTENING to what these black students have to say and not simply DISMISSING their concerns out of hand as you are wont to do.
You bitch about race constantly, it's just about all you do here, as if you're the spokesperson for anyone and everyone who is black, while conveniently leaving out all the shit that blacks are causing. to here you talk every single one of them is a perfectly righteous mother****er, and that's so far from the truth it's laughable (like with anyone of any race).

Wait you mean once-again you just happen to have some sort of "inside information" about a major news story? Like you supposedly did with the Trayvon Martin case? And the retired white cop who shot a guy in a Florida movie theater because he was on his phone? You know I bet you had dinner last week with the French intelligence agents that are tracking the ISIS terrorists who attacked Paris too huh?
If you weren't so absorbed with looking for neo-nazis and the KKK under every rock, you would have noticed that I have a lot interest in the SEC. What's going on at Ohio St? Not a ****ing clue. But if it's in the SEC I have quite a few connections, because I'm a fan of most of their sports programs. I talk with administrators, ADs, coaches, and students, because the SEC is one of my "things", and all of these people are interconnected. But hey, I know you're a buffoon, so there's no reason to explain, the character assassinations come naturally to you. Since you have so little self-awareness, it isn't surprising that you don't pay attention to anyone else (unless they're black and screaming "racist", that is).
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2015, 06:12 PM

A "generality" rooted in racist stereotypes. "High Intelligence"? Nope ... that's not a part of "black culture". "High Income"? Nope ... that's not a part of "black culture" either. In fact, African-Americans who fit that description are "cultured" according to BadKosh ... so even "black culture" has no "culture". But in your estimation I'm the one who "went for a direct smear" for simply saying that his statement was "astoundingly ignorant". Which it is anyway you slice it. And quite frankly, your capacity to defend racist BS speaks volumes.
Then attack his ****ing point, can you do that? Are you able? Is it within your capacity as a (purportedly) communicating member of a modern society? I know we go at it, the mods and admins don't even care anymore, that ship has sailed and that suits me fine. I don't give a shit what you call me, but he's never singled you out for abuse, let alone called you stupid, and there's no call for it.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Then attack his ****ing point, can you do that? Are you able? Is it within your capacity as a (purportedly) communicating member of a modern society? I know we go at it, the mods and admins don't even care anymore, that ship has sailed and that suits me fine. I don't give a shit what you call me, but he's never singled you out for abuse, let alone called you stupid, and there's no call for it.
I've already attacked his point. Several times actually. Measuredly at first. And then most recently quite bluntly. But reading comprehension isn't particularly your strong suit so you must've missed it. And for the record, the only person that I have used the word "stupid" in reference to is you.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2015, 06:20 AM

I've already attacked his point. Several times actually. Measuredly at first. And then most recently quite bluntly. But reading comprehension isn't particularly your strong suit so you must've missed it. And for the record, the only person that I have used the word "stupid" in reference to is you.
Well, given your history, if you ever approved of me I'd know I'd made a mistake somewhere, sport.

-------------------------------------------------------

and now for more stupid PC BS we have another college, this time Amherst (not terribly surprising), where their brats are demanding, demanding, that people who disagree with them attend racial sensitivity classes or be expelled. Also, they want their opponents to not be allowed to disagree with them on campus (nor in public media). Well, sorry kids, but your school president knows that's against the 1st Amendment and isn't going to capitulate (likely doesn't want the ACLU crawling up her arse, like they're gearing up to do at Yale). So, suck it up buttercups, you're going to have to deal with your detractors like anyone else. Not just play the victim card and expect everyone else to grab their ankles.

Student protesters themselves are engaged in serious conversations about the importance of free speech and have asked themselves questions about uses of language that respect that freedom. They are also asking themselves and us how the College protects free expression while also upholding our anti-discrimination policies and our statement of Respect for Persons. Censorship and silencing are not the answer. I believe our students know that. It takes time, attention, and serious discussion to sort out and make clear how we protect free speech while also establishing norms within our communities that encourage respect and make us responsible for what we do with our freedom. That is the discussion we need to have. It must involve all members of the community—students, faculty, staff, alumni—and it must be the kind of discussion that reflects the traditions of Amherst and a liberal arts education at its best.
Finally, someone has the guts to stand up to the little Marxists, good job Biddy Martin.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2015, 08:44 AM

First of all, African-Americans are one of the most socially conservative ethnic groups in the country. And African-Americans are also one of the most politically Democratic ethnic group in the country. Regardless of income or IQ level.
OAW
Socially conservative and they voted overwhelmingly for Obama, a flaming liberal POS twice??

Which is it.

You are a 'one note' type of character.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2015, 08:46 AM

Well, given your history, if you ever approved of me I'd know I'd made a mistake somewhere, sport.

-------------------------------------------------------

and now for more stupid PC BS we have another college, this time Amherst (not terribly surprising), where their brats are demanding, demanding, that people who disagree with them attend racial sensitivity classes or be expelled. Also, they want their opponents to not be allowed to disagree with them on campus (nor in public media). Well, sorry kids, but your school president knows that's against the 1st Amendment and isn't going to capitulate (likely doesn't want the ACLU crawling up her arse, like they're gearing up to do at Yale). So, suck it up buttercups, you're going to have to deal with your detractors like anyone else. Not just play the victim card and expect everyone else to grab their ankles.

Finally, someone has the guts to stand up to the little Marxists, good job Biddy Martin.
I saw this article on Amherst Friday.
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Another WTF moment brought to you by 40 years of "warm fuzzies" K-12. You reap what you sow.
Amherst Students Call on School to Condemn Free Speech | MRCTV
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Socially conservative and they voted overwhelmingly for Obama, a flaming liberal POS twice??

Which is it.

You are a 'one note' type of character.
I told you what it is. Clearly you are not inclined to grasp the concept.. I could break it down for you and cite references. But we both know that will go in one ear and out the other with you.

Update: Oh what the hell!

Gallup each year asks Americans to indicate whether they believe that each of a series of behaviors or actions is morally acceptable. The data reported in this article are based on an aggregated sample of the results from May 2006, May 2007, and May 2008, involving interviews with more than 3,000 Americans.

In this particular aggregate of data, 65% of blacks identify themselves as Democrats (and another 16% say they lean toward the Democratic Party). Only 5% identify as Republicans. Yet, as seen in the accompanying table, there are major gulfs between the attitudes of black Democrats and the attitudes of nonblack Democrats on a number of moral issues, and in most instances, blacks come much closer to the positions of Republicans than to those of Democrats.

Blacks as Conservative as Republicans on Some Moral Issues

"Which one is it?" you say? Well it's both ... just like I said the first time.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 17, 2015 at 06:02 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2015, 04:16 PM

Sargon absolutely crushes the crybullies.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 17, 2015, 07:28 PM

Ya know guys, the spittle is flying and you can actually see how red in the face some of you are getting when posting. So.... Tone it down to a discussion, or we'll call this thread beaten to death and bury it. First, last and only warning on this. Discuss or it's dead.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2015, 08:44 PM

Wow. Woodrow Wilson was a racist?
Black Lives Matter activists at Princeton University have taken over the president’s office and say they won’t leave until the school acknowledges former U.S. president Woodrow Wilson as a racist and renames all buildings currently honoring him on campus.

Read more: Princeton Students Demand Erasure Of Woodrow Wilson | The Daily Caller

It looks like he was.
Today’s progressives should consider the sobering history of Woodrow Wilson’s segregation policy.

Read more at: Progressive Racism | National Review Online
45/47

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2015, 09:12 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2015, 09:22 PM

Assuming we're discussing an example for which there's something legit to complain about, I'd argue what's generally called racist (or sexist, or homophobic), is actually on a continuum which has "tone deaf" on one end, and "ignorant" on the other.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2015, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
🙈🙈🙈🙉🙉🙉🙊🙊🙊
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2015, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Wow. Woodrow Wilson was a racist?

It looks like he was.
Progressives today are too, "Black Spaces" are just a new form of segregation.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2015, 01:30 AM

The the retarded shit at Mizzou is overpowering.

( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; Nov 19, 2015 at 01:41 AM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2015, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Wow. That was the most ridiculous POS I've watched in a little while.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2015, 10:11 AM

That's a touch non-specific.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2015, 11:36 AM

Hillary goes after the Laugh Factory.
Clinton Goes after Laugh Factory Comedians for Making Fun of Her - Judicial Watch

Masada told Judicial Watch that, as soon as the video got posted on the Laugh Factory website, he received a phone call from a “prominent” person inside Clinton’s campaign. “He said the video was disgusting and asked who put me up to this,” Masada said. The Clinton staffer, who Masada did not want to identify, also demanded to know the names and phone numbers of the comedians that appear in the video. Masada refused and hung up. He insists that the comedy stage is a sanctuary for freedom of speech no matter who is offended. “Just last night we had (Emmy-award winner) Dana Carvey doing Donald Trump and it was hilarious,” Masada said.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2015, 11:39 AM

BS meter is pinned on this one.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2015, 11:56 AM

Feel free to call Jamie Massada at the Laugh Factory.
In what appears to be a first for a serious presidential contender, Hillary Clinton’s campaign is going after five comedians who made fun of the former Secretary of State in standup skits at a popular Hollywood comedy club.

A video of the short performance, which is less than three minutes, is posted on the website of the renowned club, Laugh Factory, and the Clinton campaign has tried to censor it. Besides demanding that the video be taken down, the Clinton campaign has demanded the personal contact information of the performers that appear in the recording. This is no laughing matter for club owner Jamie Masada, a comedy guru who opened Laugh Factory more than three decades ago and has been instrumental in launching the careers of many famous comics. “They threatened me,” Masada told Judicial Watch. “I have received complains before but never a call like this, threatening to put me out of business if I don’t cut the video.”

Practically all of the country’s most acclaimed comedians have performed at the Laugh Factory and undoubtedly they have offended politicians and other well-known personalities with their standup routines. Tim Allen, Jay Leno, Roseanne Bar, Drew Carey, George Carlin, Jim Carrey, Martin Lawrence, Jerry Seinfeld and George Lopez are among the big names that have headlined at the Laugh Factory. The First Amendment right to free speech is a crucial component of the operation, though Masada drew the line a few years ago banning performers—including African Americans—from using the “n-word” in their acts.

The five short performances that Clinton wants eliminated include some profanity and portions could be considered crass, but some of the lines are funny and that’s what the Laugh Factory is all about. The video features the individual acts of five comedians, four men and a woman. The skits make fun of Clinton’s wardrobe, her age, sexual orientation, the Monica Lewinsky scandal and the former First Lady’s relationship with her famous husband. The Laugh Factory has appropriately titled it “Hillary vs. The First Amendment.”

Masada told Judicial Watch that, as soon as the video got posted on the Laugh Factory website, he received a phone call from a “prominent” person inside Clinton’s campaign. “He said the video was disgusting and asked who put me up to this,” Masada said. The Clinton staffer, who Masada did not want to identify, also demanded to know the names and phone numbers of the comedians that appear in the video. Masada refused and hung up. He insists that the comedy stage is a sanctuary for freedom of speech no matter who is offended. “Just last night we had (Emmy-award winner) Dana Carvey doing Donald Trump and it was hilarious,” Masada said.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2015, 12:18 PM

Still don't buy it.

Not only would her campaign not give a shit, it's Politics 101 not to engage with comedians.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2015, 12:37 PM

Her staff isn't that bright when it comes to connecting to reality. I don't think they HAVE a sense of humor.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2015, 12:59 PM

If more comes out, I'll eat crow, but that's going to take more than a business owner saying he was contacted by an unnamed member of the campaign.

There's nothing in this story which benefits Hilary, and everything which benefits the owner.

If you want some foil hat action, I actually see it as more likely a Sanders person called pretending to be with Clinton then an actual Clinton operative.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 19, 2015, 04:00 PM

A person's "campaign" can be incredibly unintelligent when it comes to new things, like their candidate being made fun of. I am on the fence as to whether this was an "official" thing the overall campaign organization was angry about, but having someone in the organization, even someone pretty high up, who got their jammies in a wad about this sort of thing is not unheard of. Think about how the McCain/Palin campaign acted kinda happy with Tina Fay's stuff on SNL...at least at first...

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 19, 2015, 04:09 PM

I have to also note that, having gone through this thread, it seems that each complaint about "progressivism" here has actually been a complaint about a specific individual or small group of individuals, not the concept ot progressivism as such. Politicians like to drape themselves in various labels, whether or not those labels actually fit. Frankly, a lot of people who identify themselves as "Republicans" would not agree with Ronald Reagan - and Reagan wouldn't recognize them as Republicans, either...

So to me, this isn't about "progressivism" as much as what various politicians have done while using the banner of progressivism, but for their own ends (and not to further actual progressive-oriented ends).

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
That's a touch non-specific.
not to mention completely wrong.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2015, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have to also note that, having gone through this thread, it seems that each complaint about "progressivism" here has actually been a complaint about a specific individual or small group of individuals, not the concept ot progressivism as such. Politicians like to drape themselves in various labels, whether or not those labels actually fit. Frankly, a lot of people who identify themselves as "Republicans" would not agree with Ronald Reagan - and Reagan wouldn't recognize them as Republicans, either...

So to me, this isn't about "progressivism" as much as what various politicians have done while using the banner of progressivism, but for their own ends (and not to further actual progressive-oriented ends).
I have addressed progressivism, specifically the newest strain; the neo-progressive collectivist (aka. cultural Marxists). At one time they were rather rare, upper-middle class white college kids with an ass-load of white guilt and delusions of forced equality for all, but now they're hitting mainstream and make up a rapidly growing section of the Democratic party.

These are people who live by Rules For Radicals and mercilessly wield Alinsky's unethical techniques go get whatever they want, manipulating society's tolerance and sympathy. At this point though, before it gets further out of control, we have to just say no. You want to pitch a fit? Go ahead. Hunger strike? Knock yourself out. Infringe others' rights? Get expelled, fired, or jailed. All races, creeds, and religions have the same legal rights as anyone else now, and some minorities more than anyone else. Don't think the cultural shift is happening fast enough to suit you? Too bad. That takes time, and overbalancing the law to discriminate against others just to suit you doesn't fix a damned thing, in fact it only creates even more animosity, leading to an even deeper racial divide.

Then you have Mizzou, where all of this was touched off by an incident that didn't even occur on campus. Some white guys allegedly yelled a racial slur at a black guy. Did he file a police report? No. He contacted campus security and they told him they couldn't do anything because it had happened off campus property and told him to contact the police. Did he? No. The city police have no record whatsoever of him ever filing a report. WTF?!?

We have to harden our hearts against the bitching, name-calling, and manipulation, and if that means some protesters get jailed, harm themselves, or miss a few meals in the process? So be it. That's the only way to counter radicals; call their bluff, and if they go too far, let them sit in a cell. Too many people have died protecting the rights we have as citizens to let them go due to this type of hypersensitive (and oftentimes entirely made-up) bullshit.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2015, 06:30 PM

Is anyone watching the current season of South Park?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2015, 08:25 PM

Then you have Mizzou, where all of this was touched off by an incident that didn't even occur on campus. Some white guys allegedly yelled a racial slur at a black guy. Did he file a police report? No. He contacted campus security and they told him they couldn't do anything because it had happened off campus property and told him to contact the police. Did he? No. The city police have no record whatsoever of him ever filing a report. WTF?!?
There you go again demonstrating that amazing capacity for willful blindness and deliberate obtuseness. It's been stated repeatedly that the protests at Mizzou are the result of decades of racial hostility on campus experienced by current black students as well as and alumni and faculty. There are other protests breaking out on predominantly white campuses all over the country because African-Americans have also experienced decades of racial hostility at those institutions as well. But you insist upon cherry-picking this individual incident that happened to make the news in the white-owned press on this one campus ... and then structuring a bogus "argument" about what the protests are all about. Trying to assert that the Mizzou protests aren't even about campus-related situations.

You conveniently ignored when I posted this story ....

Originally Posted by Erica Wright
While some of the brave souls ventured through Greek Town, a section of campus where the white fraternities and sororities live in million dollar mansions and above the law of the university, it was known that blacks were not welcomed there. I heard numerous of stories of people being called n*ggers walking through Greek Town and so I avoided that side of campus like the plague.
Tale of Two Campuses: White and Black Mizzou | Erica Wright

I guess you missed this one too ...

Isaac Jahns, a freshman journalism student, told the Times that he was walking home from a dining hall with friends when he heard a scream near the center.

“I heard a male voice scream out, ‘You black *&$% you’re not welcome here!’” Jahns, who is white, told the news site.

Jahns said he then saw a black woman running away, but did not know if she had been the target of the comment.
University of Mo.’s Black Culture Center Sign Is Vandalized - The Root

Maybe you'll give that one some more credence since a white dude reported it?

So I'll post some more. And please don't go there with the "on campus vs off campus" argument. Anyone who knows anything about Mizzou knows that Columbia is a college town. There's not much going on in the city that's not Mizzou related. So that is a distinction without much of a difference. Here's something from a black faculty member ...

Originally Posted by Cynthia Frisby - Associate Professor - Missouri School of Journalism
I have lived in Columbia and been at the university for almost 18 years. During this time, I have been called the n-word too many times to count.

My most recent experience was while jogging on Route K in May of 2015 when I was approached by a white man in a white truck with a Confederate flag very visible and proudly displayed.

He leaned out his window (now, keep in mind I run against traffic, so his behavior was a blatant sign that something was about to happen). Not only did he spit at me, he called me the n-word and gave me the finger.

Of course, I responded with, "Oh yea, get out of your car, you coward, and say that to my face." He then raced off. Typical. After the Zimmerman trial, I wrote about my experiences being called the n-word twice while I was on my jog. And yes, I have had a few faculty call me the n-word and treat me with incredible disrespect. Yes, faculty.

I have had a student who said he couldn't call me Dr. Frisby because that would mean that he thinks I am smart, and he was told that blacks are not smart and do not earn degrees without affirmative action. Yes, true story. I have so many stories to share that it just doesn't make sense to put them all here.
FROM READERS: MU faculty member shares stories of racism | From Readers | columbiamissourian.com

So how about these from black alumni ....

Originally Posted by Alana Flowers
I loved my time at Mizzou. I had so many pivotal moments in undergrad and it is all a part of my story:
  • I found out I was carrying my daughter.
  • I got saved.
  • I was president of the student-parent organization.
  • I met the man I’m dating now.
  • My first full-time job as a College Adviser was referred to me from an adviser.
  • I got to experience the first black man become President of the United States.
  • So many memories.

With that said, all was not flowers and roses. Although I never experienced overt racism on campus personally, I’ve witnessed it on several occasions, and many people I am close to have shared so many disheartening stories of racist and discriminatory instances.

I vividly remember the time my friend was walking home with her daughter(another fellow student-parent on MU’s campus) from the Black Culture Center (BCC) after an evening of studying, and a pick-up truck with a confederate flag sticker on the back full of white boys shouting, “Yeah n*gger, you and your n*gger baby keep walking!”
She just stood there in fear, not knowing if these boys would stop and do something to her and her child. With tears in her eyes, she told me she never felt so weak in her life because she didn’t know how she would protect her child if something were to happen to her. She filed a complaint, but on a campus with 30,000+ students and thousands of white boys who drive pick-up trucks with confederate flags (because there are several), I mean really, what could’ve been done? Does this story sound familiar? That’s because it is. Payton Head, MSA President, shared a very similar story. Apparently, yelling n*gger from pick-up trucks is all too common on this campus.

And then there’s the time when my co-worker, El, got accused of coming late to class every day and received a 70% for the course. (He was on time every single day, and just happened to be the only black person in the course.)

There’s my co-worker, Alice, who is assumed to be on campus by affirmative action or scholarship because she couldn’t possibly be there by merit.

Or how about my former classmate, Kamaria, who found a picture of Obama with a monkey taped over his face on her dorm wall shortly after the 2008 Presidential election.

I can’t forget the cotton balls being scattered all across the BCC or Black History Month being addressed as “N*gger Month,” the fact that we have our own homecoming because our participation was never wanted in the University’s homecoming.

And don’t get me started on the microaggressions that I’m sure extends way past Mizzou: being the only black student in class, being the token student to address all matters of Black History Month, slavery, and MLK, never having a black professor (three months into graduate school at the age of 25 and I just NOW have my first black professor), being put in groups and getting assigned the simple tasks because other white peers assume I can’t handle the more difficult ones; The Black History course being an elective, but all other history courses are required. Unfortunately, the list is endless.
From A Concerned Alumni: My Black Mizzou Experience | xoNECOLE

Originally Posted by Kwame Thompson
I transferred to Mizzou from an HBCU. It was a culture shock. I had 1 Black professor at Mizzou and he taught African American studies. I had no Black academic counsellors or advisors. The atmosphere was very hostile towards Blacks. Students were against Blacks having a Black Cultural Center. I can only remember ever being called a n*gger twice in my life. Both were at Mizzou. The name-calling itself didn't hurt me but the attacks were violent. In one instance, someone called me n*gger and threw a beer bottle at me from a passing vehicle. The second time someone called me a n*gger and tried to run me off the road in a red pickup truck. Both instances were on campus.

Also, I was in a leadership position at Mizzou. Thus, I was charged with representing student interests on campus. One of my battles included trying to get the university to reprimand a professor who had a black drawn in the image of a monkey on an exam. We met but ultimately nothing was done.

And these are just my experiences. Out of the thousands of Black Alumni there are more stories of injustice.

And because of these experiences I decided to become a lawyer!!!!!!

I'm elated that progressive change is occurring and I commend the student protesters.
https://www.facebook.com/kwame.thomp...56215166165717

Originally Posted by Minkah Makalani
I don’t know what it’s like to be an average Black student at Mizzou in 2015, though I imagine it’s not very different from what it was like when I studied there in the early ’90s. Along with a sense of community among a Black student population so small it seemed we all knew one another, there was the ever present sense of fear that came from having to routinely determine which racial slight you would address and which you would ignore; which racial joke you would complain about; whether you could forget seeing “n*ggers go home” chalked on the side of Jesse Hall as you work on a paper due in the morning.

Twenty-five years ago, to be a Black student at MU meant your university had yet to recognize Martin Luther King’s birthday. Today, it means you were likely in high school when Trayvon Martin was killed, and later watched in vain as your institution said nothing about the gratuitous killing of 18-year-old Michael Brown just two hours away in Ferguson, Missouri; it means coming to the Black Culture Center only to find cotton balls strewn about the yard; it means having a Black president of student government, Payton Head, as well as members of the Legion of Black Collegians, called “n*gger” on separate occasions; it’s finding a swastika drawn in feces on a dorm wall; it’s knowing these are only the incidents that have been reported.

To borrow from James Baldwin, to be a Black student at Mizzou, then as now, and have a basic sense of justice, “is to be in a rage almost all the time.”

But it also means you enter into a decades long tradition of Black student activism at the University of Missouri that brought an end to segregated student housing, pushed the university to hire Black faculty, and played a key role in the campus’ anti-apartheid movement. It was in this tradition Black students were acting when they formed Concerned Student 1950, when Jonathan Butler started a hunger strike to get the university’s attention, when they erected a tent city on the quad that caught the attention of a Black football player. And they have joined this tradition to a wave of student protests across extending from California to New York.

When I learned of Concerned Student 1950 homecoming protests in October, I was reminded of protests I participated in the early ’90s. At the beginning of the year, during Greek Town’s Bid Day Bash celebration, a White fraternity brutally beat and blinded a local Black high school student. When we learned the administration would only give the fraternity a slap on the wrist, we reached our tipping point. The Legion of Black Collegians, the Black student government, planned a protest march during homecoming to disrupt the parade and force university and state officials to listen to our demands. As we prepared for the march, a car carrying then Miss America, Debbye Turner, an MU veterinary student, drove by, and a few of us asked if she would carry a sign in solidarity.

Turner declined, saying she didn’t know enough about our protests. We cursed in frustration, because we knew having her take that sign would have given our protests a level of national attention we could never have achieved on our own. But our protest was not premised on her participation. We marched on. We stopped the parade for about 10 minutes. We chanted “No Justice, No Peace!” We presented our demands. The university did make some changes, though many of us felt these were largely cosmetic and would leave the university’s racial edifice intact.

Recent events have borne out those fears.

That Concerned Student 1950 is addressing, almost verbatim, the same issues we confronted a quarter century ago, which black students confronted 20 years before that, is entirely unsurprising. This is Missouri, where racism rarely fells the need to huddle in dark corners or cloak itself in hushed tones. You see it in city planning and municipal policies, police violence and judicial maleficence, and the actions of a university official who, rather than begin a dialogue with student protestors during a homecoming parade, responded by bumping them with his car.
Being Black at Mizzou, Then and Now - News & Views - EBONY

Now again ... I'm born and raised in Missouri and I still live here. And I've experienced this kind of bitchassness myself because it is far from uncommon around here. Which reminds me. Remember this from the Confederate Flag thread?

Originally Posted by OAW
I can speak personally about racial slurs being hurled my way by dudes with that flag in the back of a pickup truck. Bitch asses always did that driving in the other direction. Never were man enough to say it to my face. But whatever.
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants
Personally, I don't think you've ever encountered what you said, "racial slurs being hurled my way by dudes with that flag in the back of a pickup truck". Right... I've caught you distorting and fabricating too many times, again to fit your agenda, for you to ever be taken seriously.
Funny how what I said last June matches EXACTLY to what this professor and these alumni said happened to them in articles published last week. And there are plenty of other similar accounts all over the internet. They certainly aren't hard to find. It's a recurring theme ...
  • White guys
  • Pickup trucks
  • Confederate flags
  • Racial Slurs

... all together like peas in a pod. But as our Resident Forum Internet Expert you know better right? Cause it's all about a "PC agenda" huh? "Progressivism is a cancer". And the Confederate flag is all about "Southern Heritage" and not racism. Blah, blah, blah.

Which leads me back to this little gem ...

You can go to hell. Your perception of the world is ****ed, like other progressive types. What you think is "obvious" is due to your own corrupt worldview.

There is no evidence that there is a system of racism at Mizzou, and there were no issues now, until blacks there started pushing their agenda by marginalizing other students to gain more power, telling them how to talk, dress, and even think. Could there have been an occasional racial slur (by accounts those could go both ways) but it wasn't a common occurrence, so you report it and move on.

No, with as many lies told by blacks there over the last few weeks (the KKK, really?), I don't take them seriously. They're full of shit with their claims, just the same as you are with yours.
So apparently in your estimation OAW is "lying". The black students are "lying". The black alumni are "lying". The black faculty are "lying". And let's put your personal antipathy towards me aside. Because clearly in your worthless opinion ALL of us are "full of shit" and this is just some sort of collective figment of our imagination. Dude your denial with respect to issues like this runs so deep it ought to take up residence in China! It really is laughable at this point. And you can save your perfunctory acknowledgment of the "occasional racial slur" because your true colors are patently obvious to anyone who's not also in denial right along with you.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 19, 2015 at 09:15 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2015, 11:30 PM

There you go again demonstrating that amazing capacity for willful blindness and deliberate obtuseness. It's been stated repeatedly that the protests at Mizzou are the result of decades of racial hostility on campus experienced by current black students as well as and alumni and faculty. There are other protests breaking out on predominantly white campuses all over the country because African-Americans have also experienced decades of racial hostility at those institutions as well. But you insist upon cherry-picking this individual incident that happened to make the news in the white-owned press on this one campus ... and then structuring a bogus "argument" about what the protests are all about. Trying to assert that the Mizzou protests aren't even about campus-related situations.
Complete hearsay with some of it, and blatant lies for the rest. The systematic racism that elected a black student body president in a landslide, despite whites making up 3/4ths of enrollment? Really? "OMG bruh, the Klan's here! Sorry, that was a lie..."

You conveniently ignored when I posted this story ....
You've conveniently ignored so much of what I said in this thread, I've lost track.

Tale of Two Campuses: White and Black Mizzou | Erica Wright

I guess you missed this one too ...
University of Mo.’s Black Culture Center Sign Is Vandalized - The Root

Maybe you'll give that one some more credence since a white dude reported it?
Yes, I'm aware of the bullshit the activists have made up (vandalizing your own banners and signs is even covered by Alinsky, he says it's an effective tactic), and how a good deal the journos on the Left pander to them. Got to sell that racism agenda, even with nothing but what known liars have said, like you.

So apparently in your estimation OAW is "lying". The black students are "lying". The black alumni are "lying". The black faculty are "lying". And let's put your personal antipathy towards me aside. Because clearly in your worthless opinion ALL of us are "full of shit" and this is just some sort of collective figment of our imagination. Dude your denial with respect to issues like this runs so deep it ought to take up residence in China! It really is laughable at this point. And you can save your perfunctory acknowledgment of the "occasional racial slur" because your true colors are patently obvious to anyone who's not also in denial right along with you.
Yes, because lying and fabricating "is just a tactic" and "there are no wrong tactics, only wrong targets", amirite? C'mon Radical, what you got? The only thing that's obvious is that either you want to believe them all so badly that you ignore the inconsistencies in their stories, "The college president tried to hit me with his car!" or you're complicit and see all their tall tales as a means to an end. Which is it?

Oh and I've never said that the Rebel battle flag was only about "Southern Heritage", ever, but that's just more of the same from the Resident Forum Liar and Manipulator.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 12:27 AM

Complete hearsay with some of it, and blatant lies for the rest. The systematic racism that elected a black student body president in a landslide, despite whites making up 3/4ths of enrollment? Really? "OMG bruh, the Klan's here! Sorry, that was a lie..."

You've conveniently ignored so much of what I said in this thread, I've lost track.

Yes, I'm aware of the bullshit the activists have made up (vandalizing your own banners and signs is even covered by Alinsky, he says it's an effective tactic), and how a good deal the journos on the Left pander to them. Got to sell that racism agenda, even with nothing but what known liars have said, like you.

Yes, because lying and fabricating "is just a tactic" and "there are no wrong tactics, only wrong targets", amirite? C'mon Radical, what you got? The only thing that's obvious is that either you want to believe them all so badly that you ignore the inconsistencies in their stories, "The college president tried to hit me with his car!" or you're complicit and see all their tall tales as a means to an end. Which is it?

Oh and I've never said that the Rebel battle flag was only about "Southern Heritage", ever, but that's just more of the same from the Resident Forum Liar and Manipulator.
That's the best you can do? You're resorting to tinfoil hat conspiracy theories now?

Oh and you never stated that the Confederate flag was about "Southern Heritage"? Really?

Yep, the flag of the soldiers, not the flag of that union. Have you read the book Why We Fight? If you've not you really should, it's free if you have Amazon Prime and I highly recommend it (it beats the shit out of the movie, which was far too political and Cold War-focused). The pride felt by people who are native to the South is centered around the people who fought and died, what they believed they were fighting for (which is what the US was fighting for in the American Revolutionary War) the right to self-determination. That was their reality, despite what the majority of modern history books say about the Confederacy itself.
So WTF is "native to the South" if not "Southern Heritage"? And present a link to a post in that thread ... just ONE where you even REMOTELY acknowledged the racist, white supremacist history of the Confederate flag. Because what's pretty obvious to anyone that can read is that you spent that entire thread in denial about that.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 20, 2015 at 02:07 AM. )

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 01:58 AM

You're conceding? I understand, really I do. Not all blacks are liars, of course not, that's absurd. However, I've yet to see a modern black activist who isn't (along with being a manipulator of the highest order), and the same goes for all other radical groups. You? You even lie in a post where you attempt to say it's absurd for me to call you a liar. It boggles the mind, truly.

Edit: I'll tell you this, Rules For Radicals has done the Far Left no favors at all. While it may have won many battles following them back when there were real disadvantages to certain marginalized groups under the law, now that people have learned what to spot it's shockingly easy to call them on their bullshit. And what's worse, your crybully behavior is only going to desensitize people to actual problems in the future. Well done.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 02:27 AM

Oh and you never stated that the Confederate flag was about "Southern Heritage"? Really?

So WTF is "native to the South" if not "Southern Heritage"? And present a link to a post in that thread ... just ONE where YOU even remotely acknowledged the racist, white supremacist history of the Confederate flag. Because what's pretty obvious to anyone that can read is that you spent that entire thread in denial about that.
Nope, I didn't say "it's all about Southern Heritage" (I have a great memory for what I write, it comes from doing a personal journal every day for 30 years), but you sure are twisting something else and claiming it's the same thing (when it clearly isn't), and that's why no one here should take what you say seriously. You'll lie and distort, at will, to serve your ends.

Why didn't I say that? Because the Rebel Battle flag is many things to a lot of different people, it isn't all about any one thing. To some it's a sign of tradition, of Southern Pride. To others it's a mark of rebellion, of the right to self-determination. And yes, it's a flag of shame to many, of strife and racism. What I can say absolutely is that it's an important piece of American history.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 02:36 AM

So let me get this straight. When I make a post that outlined the sheer stupidity of the notion that OAW, current black students, black alumni, and black faculty are ALL "lying" and you supposedly know better ... your initial and visceral response was this:

But once I responded and quoted your own words and you realized how ridiculous that statement was then all of a sudden you want to try to "clean it up" with this ....

Not all blacks are liars, of course not, that's absurd.
GTFOOH!!!

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 20, 2015 at 02:52 AM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 02:49 AM

Nope, I didn't say "it's all about Southern Heritage" (I have a great memory for what I write, it comes from doing a personal journal every day for 30 years), but you sure are twisting something else and claiming it's the same thing (when it clearly isn't), and that's why no one here should take what you say seriously. You'll lie and distort, at will, to serve your ends.

Why didn't I say that? Because the Rebel Battle flag is many things to a lot of different people, it isn't all about any one thing. To some it's a sign of tradition, of Southern Pride. To others it's a mark of rebellion, of the right to self-determination. And yes, it's a flag of shame to many, of strife and racism. What I can say absolutely is that it's an important piece of American history.
Oh so NOW you want to acknowledge the obvious? You say you have a "great memory for what you write" yet I still don't see that link. Imagine that.

Seriously dude. You have been thoroughly outmatched here. You just don't have sense enough to stop digging. At this point you ought to apply for Chinese citizenship.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 03:35 AM

GTFOOH!!!
It's simple. You're black and you lie and distort (I've pointed that out on several occasions), but not all blacks lie and distort. You appear to have no problem at all doing it to further whatever agenda you're backing, and this appears to be a failing with most modern black and neo-progressive activists. Rules For Radicals is their playbook and they follow it to the letter, and it clearly states that lies and distortion are fair game.

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 04:51 AM

Oh so NOW you want to acknowledge the obvious? You say you have a "great memory for what you write" yet I still don't see that link. Imagine that.

Seriously dude. You have been thoroughly outmatched here. You just don't have sense enough to stop digging. At this point you ought to apply for Chinese citizenship.

You made the assertion, where is your proof that I said that flag is "all about Southern Heritage"? I didn't, you're just lying... again.The Rebel flag's history isn't wholly racist, and why would I need to show you where I said it is? What does that have to do with any damned thing? I realize you're in a panic, you're raving and flailing around. Why else would you be so frantic about telling me how "thoroughly outmatched" I am? (Coincidentally, my uncle used to do that to me in chess when I was whipping his ass, as a tactic to try and distract me.) That just sounds like you're desperately trying to convince yourself.

Each time we get into one of these tiffs I catch you in a lie where you're manipulating something or just making shit up from whole cloth. Why you feel the need to do this is anyone's guess, but likely it's just pathological for you. Seriously, the hole you've dug for yourself is years in the making, all the lies and distortions you've told have buried you alive. Poe could have written your story and called it, The Fall of the House of OAW. You want so much for something you believe in to be true that you're willing to do whatever it takes to present it that way. I've seen people do that when talking about religion, habits, behavior, politics, etc.. Like many blacks you need for systemic racism to be a thing. As an example, you claim that racism is serious problem at Mizzou, yet you can't explain how a black guy won an election to student body president (in a landslide, no less), despite the college being 3/4ths white. Those damned racists voting for a black guy, how could they?!

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2015, 05:02 AM

Communication between the both of you has broken down so far, I don't think either of you can claim to hold an accurate view on the other.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 07:21 AM

45/47

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 20, 2015, 11:36 AM

I have addressed progressivism, specifically the newest strain; the neo-progressive collectivist (aka. cultural Marxists). At one time they were rather rare, upper-middle class white college kids with an ass-load of white guilt and delusions of forced equality for all, but now they're hitting mainstream and make up a rapidly growing section of the Democratic party.

These are people who live by Rules For Radicals and mercilessly wield Alinsky's unethical techniques go get whatever they want, manipulating society's tolerance and sympathy. At this point though, before it gets further out of control, we have to just say no. You want to pitch a fit? Go ahead. Hunger strike? Knock yourself out. Infringe others' rights? Get expelled, fired, or jailed. All races, creeds, and religions have the same legal rights as anyone else now, and some minorities more than anyone else. Don't think the cultural shift is happening fast enough to suit you? Too bad. That takes time, and overbalancing the law to discriminate against others just to suit you doesn't fix a damned thing, in fact it only creates even more animosity, leading to an even deeper racial divide.

We have to harden our hearts against the bitching, name-calling, and manipulation, and if that means some protesters get jailed, harm themselves, or miss a few meals in the process? So be it. That's the only way to counter radicals; call their bluff, and if they go too far, let them sit in a cell. Too many people have died protecting the rights we have as citizens to let them go due to this type of hypersensitive (and oftentimes entirely made-up) bullshit.
My point is that calling oneself "progressive" and wrapping oneself in a shroud of "progressivism" are not the same as adhering to the Idea of Progress (as in the Age of Enlightenment and all that). A lot of political actions in the US were actually progressive and Progresive, but the way they have turned out, with politicians tweaking them to suit political purposes, they have kind of become "something else." An excellent example is Social Security, originally intended to improve the lot of older people who had worked hard their whole lives, but had no formal retirement program to support them. The idea and original design were fine, but the program has been altered in so many ways that it is no longer something FDR and the Members of Congress who put it together would recognize.

Calling oneself "progressive" is not the same as BEING "Progressive," and like many political concepts, it's been raped and pillaged to the point that it's no longer useful to use as a label. Painting ALL Progressive acts (which is what you do by labeling Progressivism as a "cancer within our society") as horrible just buys into the pretenders' claims that they are "being progressive."

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2015, 01:46 PM

If we're talking about neo-progressive, collectivist, cultural Marxists, isn't this a much smaller group than just progressives?

As I've said, I can be accurately labeled a progressive when it comes to issues of race, gender, and sexuality... I can't really be accurately labeled a collectivist, cultural Marxist about it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2015, 02:10 PM

Maybe this is confirmation bias on my part, but I mentioned upthread what generally gets called racist is more often something on a continuum between tone deaf and ignorant.

Doing a little digging, Wolfe appears to have done an excellent job of occupying the entire continuum.

The former dean created a diversity program. Said dean stated it was his proudest moment as dean. Wolfe killed it.

Wolfe killed insurance for grad student teachers without increasing their pay to make up for loss of benefits.

Wolfe got cornered by protesters at homecoming, and drove around them.

Wolfe got cornered by students who asked him what he thinks "systematic oppression" is. His answer was "systematic oppression is you don't believe you have an equal opportunity for success".

A day or two after that last one, the black guys on the football team said "this is bullshit" and went on strike. I don't blame them. Wolfe is pretty monstrously tone deaf and ignorant.
( Last edited by subego; Nov 20, 2015 at 02:30 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 02:32 PM

If we're talking about neo-progressive, collectivist, cultural Marxists, isn't this a much smaller group than just progressives?

As I've said, I can be accurately labeled a progressive when it comes to issues of race, gender, and sexuality... I can't really be accurately labeled a collectivist, cultural Marxist about it.
Lately? Unfortunately not. The radicals have taken their toll on "progressivism" and hijacked the platform, much like Evangelicals did with conservatism in the 80s and 90s.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2015, 02:39 PM

Lately? Unfortunately not. The radicals have taken their toll on "progressivism" and hijacked the platform, much like Evangelicals did with conservatism in the 80s and 90s.
I would also challenge those who declare conservatism to be an evangelical platform.

One is contained by the other, but you have plenty of prominent conservatives who couldn't care less. Dick Cheney comes immediately to mind.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 03:02 PM

You made the assertion, where is your proof that I said that flag is "all about Southern Heritage"? I didn't, you're just lying... again.
I cited the post above. And you are playing semantic games. Then in a subsequent post what I said was ...

Originally Posted by OAW
And the Confederate flag is all about "Southern Heritage" and not racism.
... in reference to the basic "gist" of the position you took in the Confederate flag thread. Notice how all about is NOT inside the air quotes? It's written that way as sarcasm as a way to mock the euphemistic BS that you and those of your ilk want to call "Southern Heritage" ... as if that has ever been devoid of racism and white supremacy. But you sit here and put all about inside the air quotes to make it seem like I was making a literal quotation of some specific statement. Seriously ... do you really think everyone can't see right through this?

The Rebel flag's history isn't wholly racist, and why would I need to show you where I said it is? What does that have to do with any damned thing? I realize you're in a panic, you're raving and flailing around. Why else would you be so frantic about telling me how "thoroughly outmatched" I am? (Coincidentally, my uncle used to do that to me in chess when I was whipping his ass, as a tactic to try and distract me.) That just sounds like you're desperately trying to convince yourself.
You aren't going to post a link to where you EVER acknowledged the racism that the Confederate flag represents because such a post simply does not exist in that thread. And when you spend an entire thread defending the Confederate flag with your "Southern Heritage", "remembrance of fallen Southern soldiers", "resistance to government tyranny", "state's rights", etc. arguments and not once acknowledge its racist, white supremacist history ... as in not even a little bit ... then your position on the issue is crystal clear. And your belated, superficial little "acknowledgement" now isn't fooling anyone because you had to be dragged into it kicking and screaming. It seems to me that if you truly believed ...

And yes, it's a flag of shame to many, of strife and racism.
... then you had no reason to spend an entire thread arguing me and everyone else down who was saying the same damned thing. Because when you said this ....

Indeed. The people flying the Stars & Bars in remembrance of fallen Confederate soldiers (who are their ancestors) aren't praising the Southern elites who were profiting directly from slavery. The progressive narrative that the flag is a symbol of racism is simply cognitive dissonance, completely divorced from the reality of what it was like during the decades of war and Reconstruction.
... do you really expect everyone to NOT see how these two statements are directly contradicting each other? As in polar opposites?

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Nov 20, 2015 at 03:27 PM. )

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 03:11 PM

Maybe this is confirmation bias on my part, but I mentioned upthread what generally gets called racist is more often something on a continuum between tone deaf and ignorant.

Doing a little digging, Wolfe appears to have done an excellent job of occupying the entire continuum.

The former dean created a diversity program. Said dean stated it was his proudest moment as dean. Wolfe killed it.

Wolfe killed insurance for grad student teachers without increasing their pay to make up for loss of benefits.

Wolfe got cornered by protesters at homecoming, and drove around them.

Wolfe got cornered by students who asked him what he thinks "systematic oppression" is. His answer was "systematic oppression is you don't believe you have an equal opportunity for success".

A day or two after that last one, the black guys on the football team said "this is bullshit" and went on strike. I don't blame them. Wolfe is pretty monstrously tone deaf and ignorant.
The insurance issue affected all grad students, but somehow that became a race issue (despite the fact only 7% of grad students are black).

Did you watch the video where the students "cornered" Wolfe at homecoming, where they were screaming "Black Power!" into megaphones? Where they kept chanting "We have nothing to lose but our chains!" (Despite the fact that the poor dears have never even known a slave, much less been shackled themselves.) That was the way they chose to have a "dialogue", as the president of the student body so ignorantly mislabeled it? I wouldn't get out of my car if a mob was behaving that way. Picture if you will what would have happened if caucasian students had been yelling "White Power" at a predominantly black college? It's the same scenario when he was "cornered" regarding his opinion WRT "systematic oppression". That wasn't a real attempt at communication either, just another racially-charged hate mob. He tried to speak and was promptly shouted down (see the famous Bernie Sanders speech video for another example).

Here's the thing with the student protestors at all these universities, even if they get everything they ask for it isn't enough, they then move the goalposts, and you certainly can't tell them No, because no matter what the reality of the situation is (like trying to preserve Free Speech or temporarily not having available resources), you're now labeled as a racist who is insensitive to the needs of those who are "marginalized". That's how I know they're following lockstep with typical radical methodology.

RULE 8: “Keep the pressure on. Never let up.” Keep trying new things to keep the opposition off balance. As the opposition masters one approach, hit them from the flank with something new. (Attack, attack, attack from all sides, never giving the reeling organization a chance to rest, regroup, recover and re-strategize.)
Online posters like OAW use it too and the scope and reach of social media makes it even more insidious, it's made just about all civil, constructive dialogue nearly impossible. Especially when they include this one;

RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions. (This is cruel, but very effective. Direct, personalized criticism and ridicule works.)
Do you see how that can spiral on continuously, growing more and more destructive?

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 03:17 PM

**After much consternation, OAW desperately tries to divert the whole conversation over to the Rebel flag**
Yeah bro, I'm just "thoroughly outmatched".

Cap'n Tightpants  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2015, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
My point is that calling oneself "progressive" and wrapping oneself in a shroud of "progressivism" are not the same as adhering to the Idea of Progress (as in the Age of Enlightenment and all that). A lot of political actions in the US were actually progressive and Progresive, but the way they have turned out, with politicians tweaking them to suit political purposes, they have kind of become "something else." An excellent example is Social Security, originally intended to improve the lot of older people who had worked hard their whole lives, but had no formal retirement program to support them. The idea and original design were fine, but the program has been altered in so many ways that it is no longer something FDR and the Members of Congress who put it together would recognize.

Calling oneself "progressive" is not the same as BEING "Progressive," and like many political concepts, it's been raped and pillaged to the point that it's no longer useful to use as a label. Painting ALL Progressive acts (which is what you do by labeling Progressivism as a "cancer within our society") as horrible just buys into the pretenders' claims that they are "being progressive."
This is true, but I fear that there are comparatively very few traditional Progressives left. How about this: Neo-Progressivism is a cancer within our society

I put in a thread title request to match that.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2015, 03:39 PM

As an African-American who is "high income" and "high IQ" by any objective measure ... given your own words I must not be a part of "black culture". The fact that you are deluded enough to even think that you are in any position to determine what is or is not "black culture" ... to me of all people around here ... just reiterates my point. So I'll leave you to your stereotypes about what "black culture" and "blackness" is all about. Carry on.

OAW
Yeah, you hang out with Day-Day and Smokey doing a blunt and hoping Debo doesn't show up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules