Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Casting Couch Takes Pity on the Potted Plant: Weinstein

The Casting Couch Takes Pity on the Potted Plant: Weinstein (Page 5)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2017, 04:06 AM

It sounds like something anyone would say about a workplace they are responsible for in relation to discussing dangers of any kind.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2017, 07:29 AM

Which is a problem, because in the majority of situations, not making safety the top priority is quite literally the reason it happened.

That's the case here. This happened because the product was the top priority. That's how the industry works.

P
Nov 4, 2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
So maybe casting agent should be a women only job? At least until the men can learn to behave.
I believe that the person Jennifer Lawrence called out was a female casting agent.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Nov 4, 2017, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I believe that the person Jennifer Lawrence called out was a female casting agent.
When I heard her tell the story, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. How could someone ask a host of young women to strip naked to “fat”* shame someone? And how must it make you feel to have to do this?

* I put fat in quotation marks, because I have quite a few associations with Jennifer Lawrence, and fat isn’t one of them.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2017, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Which is a problem, because in the majority of situations, not making safety the top priority is quite literally the reason it happened.

That's the case here. This happened because the product was the top priority. That's how the industry works.
I hadn't heard that any of the allegations were from things that happened on the House of Cards set. If thats correct, then they heard of a danger and shutdown production pretty quickly to the extreme detriment of their product, not to mention the hundreds of other people working on the show. How is that putting the product before the risk in any way shape or form? I think you can cynically criticise them for saying it to some extent, but I see no basis whatsoever for criticising their actions and we all know which speak louder.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Nov 4, 2017, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
When I heard her tell the story, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. How could someone ask a host of young women to strip naked to “fat”* shame someone? And how must it make you feel to have to do this?

* I put fat in quotation marks, because I have quite a few associations with Jennifer Lawrence, and fat isn’t one of them.
I have lot of thoughts on the current reveals, but the fundamental thing is that it comes down to two different things:

* Some famous people (men, let’s be fair) are creeps. They have managed to keep this under wrap with the help of skilled PR agents. This is sad, but then I didn’t trust PR people anyway, and with very few exceptions the people revealed as creeps are people I didn’t like anyway. Those people who have been revealed are unlikely to be able to hurt someone else now. We will now have to judge if we will be able to enjoy their works while,knowing that the people behind them are creeps, but this is nothing new.
* Certain organizations have shielded these people. Those organizations need to be hunted to the ends of the earth to stop this behavior, because they will never stop until they are forced to. This casting agent is one of those. I’m sure that she would defend herself with something along the lines of “this is how the business works”. It does, and that is what we need to stop.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
This is easy. It's a cattle call. Actresses are livestock to be examined, judged, their appearance to be bought and sold. A commodity. They don't see them as human, they see them as a product.

Try it from this in perspective: How hard can it be for a human to compartmentalize this when just 200 years ago we were doing the same thing with an entire person's existence with slavery?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2017, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This is easy. It's a cattle call. Actresses are livestock to be examined, judged, their appearance to be bought and sold. A commodity. They don't see them as human, they see them as a product.

Try it from this in perspective: How hard can it be for a human to compartmentalize this when just 200 years ago we were doing the same thing with an entire person's existence with slavery?
I've done casting. This is exactly how I consider actors. I completely and thoroughly compartmentalize my reprehensible behavior. I'm enough of a stand-up guy not to do it to their face, but as the punchline goes, we've determined what I am, the only question is price.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2017, 07:49 PM

Sometimes I'm disturbed with how well I can put myself in someone else's shoes.

OreoCookie
Nov 4, 2017, 07:59 PM

Perhaps I am more naïve than you guys, but I have had a hard time to square that with the reality I am living in. Of course, I don‘t doubt these allegations, I‘m just slackjawed at what happens outside of my own little bubble.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I hadn't heard that any of the allegations were from things that happened on the House of Cards set. If thats correct, then they heard of a danger and shutdown production pretty quickly to the extreme detriment of their product, not to mention the hundreds of other people working on the show. How is that putting the product before the risk in any way shape or form? I think you can cynically criticise them for saying it to some extent, but I see no basis whatsoever for criticising their actions and we all know which speak louder.
This was part of the production company's official response to the allegations from 8 people who work or worked on House of Cards.

They allege enduring Spacey's sexually harassment, as either a witness or target, was an "occupational hazard" of the job.

The producers knew.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/02/medi...ent/index.html

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2017, 08:39 PM

I wasn't aware of that. I must stop having opinions on stuff I can't be bothered read about.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2017, 09:12 PM

I do so you don't have to.

In addition to the story which broke the dam, and the people from House of Cards.

Kevin's brother says he was sexually abused by their father, though doesn't know if he abused Kevin. Regardless, their father was a literal Nazi who shaved his mustache like Hitler.

Journalist says he had to leave the dinner they were at because Spacey refused to stop groping him.

Bobbies want to talk to him about allegations from people at the theatre he was creative director of in London.

Scattered stories of him propositioning underage guys.

10-year-old Family Guy reference to it.

Pretty solid story dating back to the late 80s from someone who says Spacey tried to rape him when he was 14. This was after their consensual sex.

I'm sure I missed a few, but that's the gist as of Friday.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2017, 10:06 PM

I wasn't aware of a fraction of that.

I heard the first one from Anthony Rapp, a second one that spent a night on Spacey's sofa in the 80s and just earlier heard the UK police were after him for a guy who woke up to him 'performing a sex act' on him. Not sure when.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2017, 08:27 AM

The irony here is I have a whole lot more (perhaps misplaced) sympathy for the producers than my ranting may imply.

One of the crew on House of Cards claims he was the consistent target of inappropriate touching from Spacey.

If I'm a producer, I'm not going to rip out the irreplaceable part of my machine because it keeps burning out cogs.

If I'm a cog, then I'm a cog. If I squeak, the most I can expect is a schpritz of grease. The next step is replacing me with a part machined to higher tolerances.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2017, 10:00 AM

This may be obvious, but I'm not sure because most people pay more attention to the final product than they do the process.

Once shooting starts, an actor's implicit power skyrockets, and they know it.

From a management perspective, it's probably the largest single problem on a production. It certainly has been for me.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2017, 05:00 PM

Corey Feldman has named two people. Charlie Sheen has been accused as being one of Corey Haim's abusers
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/corey-f...exual-abusers/
http://wjla.com/news/entertainment/r...s-13-years-old
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 8, 2017, 08:58 PM

You seem to be really into this sort of thing. Do you spend a lot of time reading Hollywood gossip?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2017, 02:07 PM

I suppose Roy Moore goes here now

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2017, 02:11 PM

Sounds like Louis CK will be also joining soon

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2017, 08:49 PM

Steven Seagal too.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2017, 10:12 PM

I’ve come to the conclusion that there are plenty of men who simply can’t resist the temptation to be sssholes if they get a little bit of power.

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2017, 12:01 AM

Forgot about this gem: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...er-allegations
Former Fox News star Bill O’Reilly had a deal with the 21st Century Fox Inc. network that he couldn’t be fired over unproven harassment allegations, a fresh revelation that casts doubt over corporate-governance standards at Rupert Murdoch’s media empire.

O’Reilly’s contract said he couldn’t be dismissed based on an allegation unless it was proven in court, Jacques Nasser, an independent Fox director, told U.K.’s Competition & Markets Authority, according to a summary published Wednesday. O’Reilly, the former host of “The O’Reilly Factor,” has denied all wrongdoing.
Innocent people don't have this put in their contracts.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2017, 02:01 PM

Oh my...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2017, 02:43 PM

O'Reilly was always obviously a POS.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2017, 04:19 PM

Kevin Spacey is having his scenes deleted from Ridley Scott's new film. They will be re-shot with Christopher Plummer.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ke...er-1202610614/
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2017, 03:55 PM

What kind of deflector shields are Singer and Schneider using?

Asking for a friend.

andi*pandi
Nov 13, 2017, 04:51 PM

Tom Wopat got arrested straight off, for grabbing a 16yr old butt on set:
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...aims-for-sobr/

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2017, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Tom Wopat got arrested straight off, for grabbing a 16yr old butt on set:
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...aims-for-sobr/
That article doesn't mention her age but says she was working on the set. Wouldn't that imply she's likely to be older?
Also he was arrested for coke, not butt-grabbing.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2017, 05:43 PM

Other sources are reporting two victims, one who’s 16.

It’s a theatre production, so not really a set. However both can have child actors.

He was charged with assault and battery.

What he allegedly did is slap the woman’s butt with his script and said “nice butt”. I think this is the 16yo. It’s not clear what’s alleged he did to the other.

P
Nov 13, 2017, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Sounds like Louis CK will be also joining soon
Louis C.K. has published a letter essentially confirming the statements of the women who accused him, correctly identified the reason this behavior is unacceptable, and apologized. It is also far from rape, and it is a man who has made his entire act about what a disgusting person he is. His career is probably on hiatus rather than being stone cold dead.

P
Nov 13, 2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Corey Feldman has named two people. Charlie Sheen has been accused as being one of Corey Haim's abusers
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/corey-f...exual-abusers/
http://wjla.com/news/entertainment/r...s-13-years-old
Note that both of the people Feldman has named so far have previous molestation convictions.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2017, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Note that both of the people Feldman has named so far have previous molestation convictions.
Feldman has stated his reluctance to name abusers had to do with the statute of limitations and the fear of being sued for defamation. It’s hard to defame someone who has already been convicted of molestation.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 13, 2017, 08:09 PM

Chongo, you've been very vocal in this thread, eager to bring up the accused Hollywood abusers. But I haven't seen you say a single word about Roy Moore. Any comment there?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2017, 09:25 PM

Typical southerner? Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin. Loretta Lynn was 14 when she was married.
45/47

andi*pandi
Nov 13, 2017, 09:38 PM

So, it's ok for southerners?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2017, 10:14 PM

Typical southerner? Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin. Loretta Lynn was 14 when she was married.
I don't see the glee here that I see with each Hollywood personality that goes down.

Would you say that your base belief is that:

- Sexual abuse is bad, any chance to take down a known sexual abuser is good, or
- Hollywood is bad. Sexual abuse is a great avenue for taking down Hollywood.

Your actions are pointing to one of those statements being true.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2017, 10:33 PM

It’s the exact same glee some feel when it turns out a “family values” Republican’s side piece is a dude.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2017, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I don't see the glee here that I see with each Hollywood personality that goes down.

Would you say that your base belief is that:

- Sexual abuse is bad, any chance to take down a known sexual abuser is good, or
- Hollywood is bad. Sexual abuse is a great avenue for taking down Hollywood.

Your actions are pointing to one of those statements being true.
Try I told you so.
BTW, Moore is toast.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2017, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
So, it's ok for southerners?
At one time, it was.
As I have posted before, my maternal grandfather was 28 and my grandmother was 14.
He was married to her older sister who died in childbirth.
That was 100 years ago.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2017, 05:21 AM

Okay... Tom Sizemore isn’t really a shocker.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2017, 05:49 AM

It’s the exact same glee some feel when it turns out a “family values” Republican’s side piece is a dude.
Unless any of the recent offenders have been outspoken against sexual harassment, I'd say it's not quite the same.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2017, 07:59 AM

it would be safe to guess the Clintons are not looking forward to more article and tweets like these.
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...crimes/545729/
Bill Clinton: A Reckoning
Feminists saved the 42nd president of the United States in the 1990s. They were on the wrong side of history; is it finally time to make things right?
The notorious 1998 New York Times op-ed by Gloria Steinem must surely stand as one of the most regretted public actions of her life. It slut-shamed, victim-blamed, and age-shamed; it urged compassion for and gratitude to the man the women accused. Moreover (never write an op-ed in a hurry; you’ll accidentally say what you really believe), it characterized contemporary feminism as a weaponized auxiliary of the Democratic Party.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/stat...968805376?s=17
Chris Hayes
@chrislhayes
As gross and cynical and hypocrtical as the right's "what about Bill Clinton" stuff is, it's also true that Democrats and the center left are overdue for a real reckoning with the allegations against him.
3:11 PM · Nov 10, 2017
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2017, 10:12 AM

Okay... Tom Sizemore isn’t really a shocker.
Doing it to a 12 year old ****ing is

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2017, 03:49 PM

With Tom?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2017, 04:51 PM

Unless any of the recent offenders have been outspoken against sexual harassment, I'd say it's not quite the same.
The key component here is this group isn’t feeling glee about the Family Values Republican because they object to gays.

Likewise, the other group isn’t feeling glee about Hollywood because they object to men being pigs.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2017, 07:06 PM

The key component here is this group isn’t feeling glee about the Family Values Republican because they object to gays.

Likewise, the other group isn’t feeling glee about Hollywood because they object to men being pigs.
My point was that the glee is in the specific hypocrisy of the offender. "What you claim to stand for is a sham, as proven by your actions." If none of the Hollywood offenders claimed to stand hard against sexual harassment, then it's not the same.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2017, 07:08 PM

it would be safe to guess the Clintons are not looking forward to more article and tweets like these.
Chongo, you seem very interested in someone who is not president. Seems like the media is leading you around by the nose. Have you spent a similar amount of time concerned about the record of the person you voted for, the person who is president?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2017, 07:19 PM

My point was that the glee is in the specific hypocrisy of the offender. "What you claim to stand for is a sham, as proven by your actions." If none of the Hollywood offenders claimed to stand hard against sexual harassment, then it's not the same.
It’s not the same, but being a Democrat is taking a stand on sexual harassment, whether they want it to be or not, just as being a Republican is taking a stand on teh gays, whether they want it to be or not.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2017, 07:29 PM

It’s not the same, but being a Democrat is taking a stand on sexual harassment, whether they want it to be or not, just as being a Republican is taking a stand on teh gays, whether they want it to be or not.
Totally, and that's the misconnection that Chongo and other are making.

Forum Links
Forum Rules