Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AlBook 15": Does Your Right Palmrest Crackle as Well?

AlBook 15": Does Your Right Palmrest Crackle as Well?
TonTaub
Forum Regular
Location: Sitting in a Viennese Cafe and drinking my Melange.
May 27, 2004, 06:39 AM

Hi,

I'm happy with my new AlBook which I got a week ago.

There's only one thing which spoils my joy a bit:
When putting my hand on the right palmrest there are tiny crackling noises, like metall on metall.

It'sounds like spring loaded pieces of metal in order to make contact for the shielding or so (don't know better words at the moment).
It's just right above the DVD-slot.

It's not an big issue, the unit works perfectly for me, but I got my friends PoBo next to me which is exactly the same modell and which we bought simultaneously, and that one doesn't do that at all.

This sound is a bit irritating and just makes it sound a bit less reliable and high-quality (which is just psychological thing I believe).

So maybe my AlBook is just on the edge of manufacturing tolerances and that's quite normal.
So I just want to see if anybody else knows this phenomenon.

Thanks a lot, Michael.
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )
ok, that is history! :-)

metrom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2004, 09:28 PM

Hi!

Yes, I had the exactly same "problem" with my alu-pb 15".
After 5 months of use the crack-sound startet, but then after a few week it was gone.

Have no clue why it came or stopped coming.

metrom

www.vorbis.nu

Squozen
May 28, 2004, 04:05 AM

Mine does it when connected to the power supply and the CPU speed is set to 'highest'. On 'reduced' or 'automatic' the sound goes away. I'm sure it's a loose shielding wire that wasn't connected properly when my screen was replaced.

markclausing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2004, 04:58 AM

I think you are talking about different things. The sound which is responsible for the 'hard drive like ticking when connected to the outlet' is the so called NAP function.

NAP is a power saving feature for the highest performance setting. It makes the cpu switch very fast on and off to save power en reduce heat. You can turn it off by installing the CHUD tool and enable the hardware preferences on the apple preferences menu.

The topic starter meant a physical creak in the housing of the powerbook if I'm not mistaken. I have no experiences like that on my new powerbook.
http://www.prinshendrikkade.com
MacBook Pro 2Ghz 2Gb 100Gb 256Mb

TonTaub  (op)
Forum Regular
May 28, 2004, 07:27 PM

I'm talking about an mechanical issue: When I rest my right hand on the palmrest while typing one can hear this crackling.
No matter if the PoBo is powered on (or sleeping) or not.

Michael.
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 05:13 AM

If it also happens when the PB is off, then it probably isn't a mechanical problem but a physical one. Maybe something out of place right on that spot ...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

mayern
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2004, 07:07 AM

I have this exact problem with my Rev. A 17 Powerbook. It happens when the computer is on or off.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by mayern:
I have this exact problem with my Rev. A 17 Powerbook. It happens when the computer is on or off.
Same here, looks like that the palmrest having the slot drive under it, is too much thin.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2004, 01:33 PM

I have a 12" rev. A. and my right palmrest crackles as well. It has NOTHING to do with the power supply/battery/whatever else people thing it is. It's simply a design flaw. The crackling started about 8 months after I bought the laptop and it is getting slightly worse over time, and it's really annoying.

If I take a closer look I notice the inner, silver colored, palmrest actually gets slightly depressed relative to the outer, darker grey casing. The metal is bending a little, causing the crackling sound.

Not sure if anything can be done to fix it short of replacing the entire palmrest.

Originally posted by TonTaub:
Hi,

I'm happy with my new AlBook which I got a week ago.

There's only one thing which spoils my joy a bit:
When putting my hand on the right palmrest there are tiny crackling noises, like metall on metall.

It'sounds like spring loaded pieces of metal in order to make contact for the shielding or so (don't know better words at the moment).
It's just right above the DVD-slot.

It's not an big issue, the unit works perfectly for me, but I got my friends PoBo next to me which is exactly the same modell and which we bought simultaneously, and that one doesn't do that at all.

This sound is a bit irritating and just makes it sound a bit less reliable and high-quality (which is just psychological thing I believe).

So maybe my AlBook is just on the edge of manufacturing tolerances and that's quite normal.
So I just want to see if anybody else knows this phenomenon.

Thanks a lot, Michael.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Chulo
May 30, 2004, 02:02 PM

Mine does it also. It almost appears that the surface area may be a little loose or something. If I put too much pressure on it then I get the cracling sound.
I've written it off since everything else has worked as it should and haven't wanted to send it in and risk getting a replacement Pbook that may have issues with it.

TonTaub  (op)
Forum Regular
May 31, 2004, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by Chulo:
Mine does it also. It almost appears that the surface area may be a little loose or something. If I put too much pressure on it then I get the cracling sound.
I've written it off since everything else has worked as it should and haven't wanted to send it in and risk getting a replacement Pbook that may have issues with it.
Same here - I want everything else left as good as it is although the crackling became a little worse after not even two weeks.
I'm happy that the screen works etc.

Just wanted to find out if I'm just oversensitive.

:-) Michael.

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2004, 05:37 PM

Got the same thing on my Ti PB just for the record....
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Jordan:
Got the same thing on my Ti PB just for the record....
After 7 months of no problems from my AlBook, I'm finding that I have the same problem... it's quite annoying. Comes from the right side of the right handrest, above the vent holes toward the front.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2004, 05:27 PM

my Al does the crack noise just with only the touch of a finger over the palmrest over the dvd slot loadind drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules