Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Planning on purchasing this iMac soon, but I have a speaker question.

Planning on purchasing this iMac soon, but I have a speaker question.
Subnova
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2007, 04:23 AM

Here's my specs:

2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
250GB Serial ATA Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
24-inch widescreen LCD
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Thoughts on specs?

Now I've never bought a Mac before, this will be my first time but I am confused on does it come with speakers?

It would be dissapointing if not. So can anyone recommend me speakers from Apple's website, or another site that would go good with this desktop?

Thank you.
( Last edited by Subnova; Jan 31, 2007 at 04:35 AM. )

kikkoman
Senior User
Jan 31, 2007, 09:38 AM

Yes, it has speakers but if you plan on listening to music on your iMac seriously consider better speakers. The built-ins are fine for making noise.

Cave Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Subnova View Post
So can anyone recommend me speakers from Apple's website, or another site that would go good with this desktop?
"Good" is a relative term. I have JBL Creatures for my iMac desktop and they are very nice for listening while at my desk. My Mac Mini is connected to my Onkyo 5.1 surround system by an optical cable and it's fabulous.

sceptrex9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2007, 01:23 PM

The built in speakers aren't bad (way better than any built in monitor speaker I have ever heard) but You might want to think about headphones, thats what I use when I want to listen to music. I don't drive the wife crazy and I can listen at any volume level I want and a Good set of headphones will probably beat almost any desktop set of speakers.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 01:51 PM

You are getting the same iMac I got. You will love it. I have zero complaints about mine. Only difference between yours and mine is I got the wireless keyboard and mouse.

And as others have said, the speakers in the iMac are fine little speakers. They will do well for your basic audio computer needs, aside from music and possibly games. It would be a good idea to get some cheap external speakers if you are going to be listening to music or gaming. There are tons of great speakers out there that compliment the iMacs look.

bensone1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2007, 08:24 PM

check out this post

try to look past some of the complaining going between some of the users

http://forums.macnn.com/58/imac-emac...rs-do-you-use/

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2007, 10:24 PM

...but pay close attention to the fact that the Creatures are not very good sounding speakers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules