Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just saw Transformers

Just saw Transformers (Page 3)
sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Mostly the first time he goes, "Prime!"

Not only that, but in the Seinfeld episode where Kramer gets mugged after winning at the track, he's the mugger.

Died of drugs or something else typically Hollywood a while back, though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Latta

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 12:11 PM

ID4 was better because it had much better character development, acting, and a plot. Yes, I know, the virus upload thing was really weak... but everything else was pretty good. The chain of events made a lot of sense. Everything in Transformers felt like it was thrown together.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
ID4 was better because it had much better character development, acting, and a plot. Yes, I know, the virus upload thing was really weak... but everything else was pretty good. The chain of events made a lot of sense. Everything in Transformers felt like it was thrown together.
Ya like how the aliens with giant motherships and interstellar travel use our own satellites for communication or else they are SOL.

Or how a drunk crop duster in a 100 year old plane can hop into a modern fighter jet along with the president and kick alien ass.

ID4 was stupid but it was fun to watch if you shut your brain off.

Transformers is fun to watch without feeling too dumb.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 01:04 PM

ppv cheaper?

my star theater has matinees for $4. i doubt you can get ppv for $4. course, you don't have crowds or kids or idiots on phones at home on ppv

anyway, it was worth my $4. and the detroit scenes where awesome. bay didn't even try to hide the fact; specially all the filming on fort street (the street sign was in most the shots filmed on fort). not to mention, detroit uses green/white signs; all the rest in the movie were blue/white.

props to detroit

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 01:11 PM

Am I the only one who found the end a bit anti-climatic?

I was really caught off guard with the final scene with Megatron, I didn't see it coming so quickly and easily.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2007, 01:21 PM

we watched it last night and enjoyed it. The story wasn't awesome, but it wasn't terrible. I was in awe during the transformation scenes though.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 01:26 PM

and oh...

well, the internet is saying it isn't the above...hmmm. i should have googled first...but i will leave my stupidity and not edit it out
( Last edited by residentEvil; Jul 4, 2007 at 01:34 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
and oh...

Is that what the hell it was? I said godzilla kiddingly but it had a b-movie production feel to it.

Who is making it this time around? Didn't the last one teach them not to do it again?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Is that what the hell it was? I said godzilla kiddingly but it had a b-movie production feel to it.

Who is making it this time around? Didn't the last one teach them not to do it again?

i found more info on it. i was mistaken. i assumed and f'd up.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 01:37 PM

i found more info on it. i was mistaken. i assumed and f'd up.
So what the hell is it then?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 01:45 PM

So what the hell is it then?
google like me or do you want a link?

trailer before transformers - Google Search

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 02:00 PM

Ya like how the aliens with giant motherships and interstellar travel use our own satellites for communication or else they are SOL.
Well, we don't know that they were SOL. It was a discrete way to set up a communication network without alerting the humans to what they were doing.

Or how a drunk crop duster in a 100 year old plane can hop into a modern fighter jet along with the president and kick alien ass.
He was in the airforce during Vietnam, so he has some serious flying experience. If you watched him flying right before he goes straight into the alien weapon, you can see that he's not exactly flying straight. They didn't make him out to be some flying ace or something.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 02:03 PM

Cloverfield is the name (I guess)... but it reminded me of Lavos from Chrono Trigger.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 02:33 PM

google like me or do you want a link?

trailer before transformers - Google Search
Would have been nice.

iF Magazine

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2007, 02:52 PM

Untitled J.J. Abrams Project (2008) - Full cast and crew

Not much info but stay tuned, I guess.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 02:58 PM

Youtube are locking the trailer down but its still in some places.

Looks cool.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 4, 2007, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Youtube are locking the trailer down but its still in some places.

Looks cool.
Like where? You just linked to youtube again.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 11:36 PM

I thought transformers was really stupid and especially boring. Every time I woke up it was just the same scenes of robots fighting over and over again. The previews looked cool but geez how much can you take? Ratatouille was MUCH better in every way except that it didn't have any transforming robots to speak of.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Rumor
Jul 5, 2007, 01:07 PM

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked how they had an organic feel to their transformations.

Oh, there was a lot of humor in the movie as well. Jazz had me cracking up when he first spoke.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by KisforKennedy View Post
Like where? You just linked to youtube again.
It was working when i linked it, and i did say youtube were locking it down. Be quicker next time.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 01:32 PM

Something I don't get.

How do the transformers handle the coldness of space no problem but the north pole puts them out of commission?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 01:35 PM

Because the script was written by 5th graders? At least, I hope it was written by 5th graders.

It was written by 5th graders... right?
( Last edited by ort888; Jul 5, 2007 at 01:49 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 5, 2007, 01:39 PM

Something I don't get.

How do the transformers handle the coldness of space no problem but the north pole puts them out of commission?
Ice. Snow. Moisture. Etc.

I haven't seen this yet, but I can only hope that they don't use an EMP on them, considering that to travel in space, they must all have hardened circuits and whatnot. Oh, and that some character would EXPLAIN what an EMP was for the 57,192,934th time in movie history. YES. WE GET IT. ANYBODY THAT IS SEEING YOUR NEW MOVIE X has ALSO probably seen a movie with an EMP.

Jesus.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 01:40 PM

God, I don't want to start. I can nitpick any action movie to death if I want to.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2007, 01:47 PM

I dunno, Alien vs Predator is pretty airtight....

Rumor
Jul 5, 2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by KisforKennedy View Post
Ice. Snow. Moisture. Etc.

I haven't seen this yet, but I can only hope that they don't use an EMP on them, considering that to travel in space, they must all have hardened circuits and whatnot. Oh, and that some character would EXPLAIN what an EMP was for the 57,192,934th time in movie history. YES. WE GET IT. ANYBODY THAT IS SEEING YOUR NEW MOVIE X has ALSO probably seen a movie with an EMP.

Jesus.
Please try watching the movie before you rant.

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 5, 2007, 02:02 PM

No. GM ruined this movie with their craptacular product placement.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 02:06 PM

Of note (and retarded):

Bumblebee's classic alternate mode was a Volkswagen Beetle, but this was changed to a Camaro. This is because the makers of Volkswagen do not want their vehicles associated with "war toys." Jazz can no longer be a Porche for the same reason.
Reminds me of NFS III when Ferrari and some other brand didn't allow their cars to be used in "Hot Pursuit" mode because you were outrunning the cops. 3 games later, you were using Ferrari to outrun cops. Retards.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 02:07 PM

The more I think about this movie, the more mad I get. I felt no connection to the transformers at all... except for Bumble Bee a little. I felt no emotion when Jazz died (not that I could tell that he died)... and neither did Optimus Prime! He didn't seem too beaten up over Bumble Bee being taken captive either. I had no real hate for the decepticons because they barely had any dialog. The autobots rarely talked to each other. At least there could have been some sequences where decepticons were toying with humans and the autobots had to choose between their main objective and saving them.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2007, 06:57 PM

Robots and emotions does not compute.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2007, 05:39 AM

· Biggest first-week gross ever for a non-sequel (beating Spider-Man's $151.6 mil)
· A global box office total of $246.1 mil, when you add in the $93.6 mil Transformers earned in 23 other countries
· Biggest Tuesday gross ever ($27.9 mil), as well as the third-best Wednesday ($29.1 mil) and fifth-best Thursday ($19.2 mil)
· A super-solid $16,854 per-theater average in 4,011 venues
ice

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2007, 07:53 AM

I liked it. Yes, there could have been more "character development" with the Transformers themselves, but that's what TFII and III are for. I was pleased with the way they justified how they robots looked on Earth, as well as why they came here to begin with. There were some plot holes, like the whole freezing thing, but all-in-all, as someone that remembers hen the toys first came out, I was well entertained for my $5.00.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2007, 10:35 AM

I thought the Mars thing was pretty lame. What the hell was that all about?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2007, 10:38 AM

They used that as one of their first teasers.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2007, 10:57 AM

They used that as one of their first teasers.
Ya I know but it was stupid to fit in the story.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2007, 11:02 AM

I was fine with it. The recreation of Mars wasn't very convincing though.

Story... pffft.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2007, 11:41 AM

The Mars clip was the first sign that another NBE was found. No other ones had been seen or heard of since they found Megatron, so when they saw the rover clip, they started to get ready for what it may mean.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
The Mars clip was the first sign that another NBE was found. No other ones had been seen or heard of since they found Megatron, so when they saw the rover clip, they started to get ready for what it may mean.
Ya I get that I just think it was sorta stupid that there was a transformer on Mars and the planet is so tiny it is on the same spot as a earth rover.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2007, 01:11 PM

They can detect other electronic devices, remember? So, they probably noticed it landed and went to check it out.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2007, 10:44 PM

Thought Transformers was great summer fare! Fighting sequences between the Autobots and Decepticons were very muddled, couldn't follow the action really well but did give a frenetic feel. The Autobots and Decepticons did need more charater development so that non-Transformer aficionados could follow who is who during the end of the movie. But really, minor quibbles. Really liked the movie!
Now bring on the Dinobots!

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Untitled J.J. Abrams Project (2008) - Full cast and crew
Not much info but stay tuned, I guess.
The trailer is up on Quicktime in HD.

I am skeptical on the Will Smith in I Am Legend trailer I saw before Transformers. A classic book... curious to see how it is handled on the screen.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 01:34 PM

I saw Transformers a couple of days ago. I liked it, and I recommend it to anyone.

I'm *not* a purist, so I was already comfortable with the many design changes from G1. I even prefer Optimus as a Peterbilt truck, since it looks much "heftier," and gets rid of that silly vanishing trailer.

There were some nods to the previous movie, like Hot Rod's flames on Optimus, some of the dialog, and Bumblebee's radio-voice was an interesting spin on Wreck-gar's tv-voice.

The film wasn't filled with product-placement, either. (I don't follow car trends, so I wouldn't know Ratchet or Jazz were GM vehicles unless you told me.) The iBook was barely visible, and only Apple-aficionados would recognize it. Optimus' eBay joke was hilarious and well-timed.

I do have nit-picks, but I nit-pick everything:

1. Megatron's design was impossible to recognize unless he was full-frame. He just looked like a gray blob. His head looked great up close, though. If they had added more color to his body (like gray and purple) and added included an arm-cannon, I would have been much happier.

2. Most of the fights lacked "finality." With the exception of Optimus vs Barricade, it's impossible to tell whether a fight is really over.

4. The film had many "timing" issues. The "autobots in my yard" scene went on forever. And Optimus was missing for so long after the fight with Bonecrusher that I thought Bay had forgotten about him. And Starscream goes missing after Megatron corners Sam.

5. Too many pointless side-stories. Who cares about Mykaela's obsession with jocks and her criminal record? And did anyone give a sh!t about the beautiful hacker and the Secretary of Defense having a shoot-out with Frenzy?

6. Too many *mature* jokes. Just like The Phantom Menace's poo and fart jokes, this film has unnecessary language and gesturing. Thanks for pissing away my little nephew's excitement, Bay. I guess he's stuck watching this movie off Bit Torrent now, with the juvenile stupidity edited out.

Despite these minor gripes, this movie is solid. All the robot designs (except Megatron) were excellent. Some notable changes:

1. Sam. A much better name than Spike or Buster.

2. No magical shrinking or growing robots. Good.

3. No magical flying robots. Better.

4. Robot vs Human combat. Best. The G1 TFs were too tough.

5. Scorponok was great. I hope to see more animal Decepticons, like Ravage and Ratbat and Lazerbeak.

I give Transformers 4 outta 5 stars. Nice job, Michael.

Next time, though, cut the bird-flipping so my nephew can buy a ticket too. You didn't "rape my childhood," but you pissed off some actual children and their mothers.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Jul 13, 2007 at 02:46 PM. )

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Next time, though, cut the bird-flipping so my nephew can buy a ticket too.
Boo hoo. This was for kids from the 80s, not now. I'm sick of movies being watered down to get a lower rating.

It's not like there aren't a lot of other big movies for a kid to watch this summer.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
...I was well entertained for my $5.00.
It only cost you $5 to see? Wow...

I'm going to watch it when it comes out on DVD. I don't watch movies in theaters. Regardless of the criticism (from whomever), I loved Transformers as a kid, and I will be checking this movie out.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 01:55 PM

Not that I think I'll change your mind, but this is one of those movies that should be viewed on a big screen.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 01:57 PM

That much happening on screen?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 01:59 PM

More of a scale thing. It makes giant ****ing robots look like giant ****ing robots.

Rumor
Jul 13, 2007, 01:59 PM

The detail of when they transformer is pretty amazing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 02:03 PM

Ahhhh...noted.

It's been a long, long time since I've been in a theater. It's a difficult issue to explain, but I absolutely hate them.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2007, 02:06 PM

I assumed it was something more serious (claustrophobia for example) than some kind of boycott of theaters.

Unless of course, you just hate people. Which is ok by me too.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 02:09 PM

Boo hoo. This was for kids from the 80s, not now. I'm sick of movies being watered down to get a lower rating.
Watered-down? The swearing and gestures add nothing to the movie.

Believe it or not, there are many TF fans who are younger than you. You know, the ones that watch Beast Wars and Armada? The ones that buy and play with TF toys today?

But I guess it's really all about you.
It's not like there aren't a lot of other big movies for a kid to watch this summer.
My nephew loves Transformers. Telling him to watch Nancy Drew isn't gonna cut it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules