Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Check out THIS police chase!

Check out THIS police chase! (Page 2)
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
That's ok by me, as I don't see a dumb teenager on the same level as a molester.
Tell that to a family who's had a son or daughter (or wife) killed by a "dumb teenager" on a driving rampage.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 09:50 AM

OK, I don't see a teenager who stole a car on the same level as one who committed vehicular homicide. Better?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 09:50 AM

It makes me feel like a 13 year-old.

(Outside of my just not liking how the smileys look anyway)
It's much better to be a sophisticated deep-thinker, yet not have others figure out what the heck you are doing.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
It's much better to be a sophisticated deep-thinker
If that's what wanting to feel older than 13 implies, ok.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 09:56 AM

OK, I don't see a teenager who stole a car on the same level as one who committed vehicular homicide. Better?
I'll assume this is one of your jokes missing a smiley.

What's the difference? Simply the outcome. Any one of those cars that he hit could have killed the occupants. Just because he got lucky that nobody died doesn't put him on a level higher than someone who did kill someone. (At least at the level of intent.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 10:02 AM

What's the difference? Simply the outcome.
Yes, that's called life. About the only time 'it's the thought that counts' is when your grandmother knits you an ugly sweater.

Any one of those cars that he hit could have killed the occupants.
And I'd think he'd be prosecuted for every person he inadvertently killed.

Just because he got lucky that nobody died doesn't put him on a level higher than someone who did kill someone.
It does in terms of crime and punishment, which, ironically, is what we're taking about here.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 6, 2007, 10:11 AM

Obviously I'm not monitoring the situation as closely as you are.
Not monitoring anything. I just read the forum like anyone else.
I like to post absurd opinions or subtle commentary. I'm not going to change my style to suit a few people, particularly when no one outside of yourself is complaining.
Hmm
Dude ... I can't tell your jokes either. Would it kill you to slap a smiley on the end of it?
And I am sure there are more of you out there as well.. I tend to be more vocal than most.

I'm just saying it's obnoxious to NOT make such things obvious when the point is to get your message across on here. But fine. You keep your way of doing things. Just don't be surprised, and certainly don't chastise someone for your not wanting to be clear as if it were their problem or fault as I have seen you do. That is what I am actually complaining about. Not how you post, but how you treat those that "don't get" your "jokes"
When I'm unsure if someone is joking, I usually ask. Maybe these people should too.
Why? So you can make another "joke" at their expense like you usually do when you aren't being clear?I have seen people say "sorry, I didn't know you where joking" and you went on to chastise them as if it was something they were doing wrong. At least could you stop that part? Please?
That's awful, awful reasoning. Reality is shaped by us. This isn't the jungle.
Human nature is reality. Pretending such things don't exist in human nature is living in a tinted sunglasses world. I am just being HONEST with what is going on.
So they're enforcing Kevin Rule of Law then?
Of course not.
That's ok by me, as I don't see a dumb teenager on the same level as a molester.
Oh, this is just more than a "dumb teenager" he is a menace to society. These people usually get worse in jail actually.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 6, 2007, 10:16 AM

What's the difference? Simply the outcome. Any one of those cars that he hit could have killed the occupants. Just because he got lucky that nobody died doesn't put him on a level higher than someone who did kill someone. (At least at the level of intent.)
Exactly. He more than likely has the same sociopathic ideals. Someone that only are concerned with their well being.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Others have complained too.
I see driven did chip in, to his credit. But I'm drawing a blank on other complaints. The only person I can think of who I can think of who mistakes my jokes often is imitchellg5, but he has yet to complain about it (unless of course, if he's screwing with me, in which case, well played).

You keep your way of doing things.
That's right. When I'm really worried about being misunderstood I usually add some grey or white text, rather than an emoticon.

Why? So you can make another "joke" at their expense like you usually do when you aren't being clear?
Yes, that's it exactly. Busted.

Human nature is reality. Pretending such things don't exist in human nature is living in a tinted sunglasses world. I am just being HONEST with what is going on.
Sin is human nature, too, but I don't see you accepting that as the way things will be. You expect people to exert self-control for that reason, so why not for unlawfully bashing a kid's head into the ground?

Oh, this is just more than a "dumb teenager" he is a menace to society. These people usually get worse in jail actually.
You have a point. A police chase is a huge affair and potentially very dangerous. But do you honestly think a head being bashed into the ground is going to be more effective a deterrent than jail time?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 10:29 AM

That's exactly right. That moron had no concern of any kind for the well being of any of the other drivers on that highway. He wilfully took risks that could have lead to people being killed. Mind you, the cop's driving wasn't much better.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 6, 2007, 10:40 AM

Driven, people are prosecuted in the courtroom silly. Furthermore, you're only brought up on charges for THINGS YOU DID(such as luckily not kill someone).

If cops were robots(well-trained robots, not movie robots), the minute the perp was cuffed/restrained there would be no more "touching". (it actually looks like cop #2 is "kicking carpet")

and driven, if you can't see the 7 cops beating_the_**** out of that guy you're blind! that's whats up.
ice

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 6, 2007, 10:53 AM

car chase beat down (right click, save and whatnot)
ice

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 6, 2007, 11:21 AM

I see driven did chip in, to his credit. But I'm drawing a blank on other complaints. The only person I can think of who I can think of who mistakes my jokes often is imitchellg5, but he has yet to complain about it (unless of course, if he's screwing with me, in which case, well played).
You seem to be ignoring the main point I am complaining about. And that isn't the way you are posting your "jokes" but the condescending way you deal with people that can't discern your "jokes" as jokes. Esp when it's not their fault. This is the 3rd post in which you ignored me saying as much. Yet you continue to argue something I quit arguing many posts back.

So whatever. I forget I even brought it up.
That's right. When I'm really worried about being misunderstood I usually add some grey or white text, rather than an emoticon.
Well you obviously need to do the latter more often.
Yes, that's it exactly. Busted.
well Dakar, that IS what you do. So making such a connection isn't too far fetched now is it?
Sin is human nature, too, but I don't see you accepting that as the way things will be.
No you are wrong. I fully accept mankind as being sinful by nature. As a matter of fact, I've even stated such a thing. We are all born into sin. But I believe this was just another one of your passive aggressive "sarcasms" or maybe even a topic derail. So lets end that part right now since your point wasn't even valid.
You expect people to exert self-control for that reason
I never said these cops were RIGHT in their actions. I just said I didn't feel sorry for said kid. And that knowing such things happen, you shouldn't be putting yourself into a position that such a thing could happen to you.
You have a point. A police chase is a huge affair and potentially very dangerous. But do you honestly think a head being bashed into the ground is going to be more effective a deterrent than jail time?
To some people yes. Some aren't scared of jailtime. Back in my dealin days a know people that have gotten abused by the police. They would much rather do jail time.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 11:33 AM

You seem to be ignoring the main point I am complaining about. And that isn't the way you are posting your "jokes" but the condescending way you deal with people that can't discern your "jokes" as jokes.
You're right. I'm incredulous that people think a joker is serious. I keep expecting the opposite to happen, but oddly it doesn't.

Well you obviously need to do the latter more often.
Some people would find it handy.

No you are wrong. I fully accept mankind as being sinful by nature. As a matter of fact, I've even stated such a thing. We are all born into sin. But I believe this was just another one of your passive aggressive "sarcasms" or maybe even a topic derail. So lets end that part right now since your point wasn't even valid.
Why isn't it valid? You might want to explain that before you just dismiss it out of hand.

I never said these cops were RIGHT in their actions. I just said I didn't feel sorry for said kid.
You said he deserved it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2007, 11:44 AM

Can't we all just get along?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 6, 2007, 11:44 AM

You're right. I'm incredulous that people think a joker is serious. I keep expecting the opposite to happen, but oddly it doesn't.
Again, blaming people for things that simply aren't there fault while being condescending.
(Again, remember, if you aren't being clear, which you admitted to, and someone doesn't get said unclear joke, it is in no way their fault.)
Some people would find it handy.
... yes.. I know.. that is why I said you needed to do it more often.
Why isn't it valid? You might want to explain that before you just dismiss it out of hand.
Um, I just did in the paragraph you replied to. I negated the belief you claimed I had, that I did not. So that makes your point invalid.
You said he deserved it.
Yes I did say that. But that doesn't mean what they did was right.

There are a lot of people that deserve a good punch in the face. That doesn't mean doing it is ok.

For someone that acts condescending towards people that "don't get" your posts, you sure have a hard time understanding other people's posts. :/

Or if thats not it, you've taken something I said, and projected a meaning onto it that I did not portray.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 11:47 AM

Dakarʒ and Kevin, sitting in a tree....

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
car chase beat down (right click, save and whatnot)
I guess you see what you want to see, but all I can clearly see is a bunch of cops on top of this kid. The rest, to me, is speculation, and I'll leave it at that. Let the courts sort it out, which is what they're supposed to do.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Can't we all just get along?
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Dakarʒ and Kevin, sitting in a tree....
I sense a crowd forming.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 12:03 PM

Again, blaming people for things that simply aren't there fault while being condescending.
You know what they say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Yes I did say that. But that doesn't mean what they did was right.

There are a lot of people that deserve a good punch in the face. That doesn't mean doing it is ok.

For someone that acts condescending towards people that "don't get" your posts, you sure have a hard time understanding other people's posts. :/
Up to this point you haven't done a very good job of expressing the fact that you agree with me that it's not ok.

That might be the problem.

Still, I find the position a bit paradoxical.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2007, 01:01 PM

Cincinnati PD doesn't have a helicopter to my knowledge, but our county sheriff does. Those squad cars looked like Blue Ash (small suburb of Cinci) PD rather than Cincinnati itself, which would make sense because the chase was on I-71, about 10-15 miles or so north of Cincinnati proper. We're not used to chases around here...probably why they didn't use the helo. They just wanted to have some fun
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 6, 2007, 01:17 PM

You know what they say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
They say irrelevant things?
Up to this point you haven't done a very good job of expressing the fact that you agree with me that it's not ok.
I agree with you that people shouldn't do that. But I do not feel sorry for the person that it happen to. IF it happened. We agree, but disagree at the same time.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 02:32 PM

They say irrelevant things?
I'm absolutely floored you'd disagree with me.

I agree with you that people shouldn't do that. But I do not feel sorry for the person that it happen to. IF it happened. We agree, but disagree at the same time.
I can live with this, particularly because it means that we're at an end.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by KisforKennedy View Post
That's because cops are mostly power tripping assholes who think laws don't really apply to them. I can't tell you how many times I've seen cops not use signals, speed without lights, or do other stupid crap. The 'excuse to beat someone up' without getting into trouble is part of what draws people to the job in the first place.
Hopefully in a situation that would require the services of the local police department you'll save us tax payer money by not calling on them, since "cops are mostly power tripping assholes who think laws don't really apply to them".

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 6, 2007, 09:30 PM

Looks like everything's about normal around here still.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by sideus View Post
Hopefully in a situation that would require the services of the local police department you'll save us tax payer money by not calling on them, since "cops are mostly power tripping assholes who think laws don't really apply to them".
Thats a stupid comment, he is not saying he will never make use of the police force, he is just saying it would be nice if they could do their job without breaking the law.

The UK have more CCTV per person than anywhere else (2200 cameras in Chicago, 400,000 in London), but show me the footage of a Policeman beating someone up after arresting them? A lot of them are still A-holes, but they manage to do their job on the most part without stamping on people.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2007, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Thats a stupid comment, he is not saying he will never make use of the police force, he is just saying it would be nice if they could do their job without breaking the law.

The UK have more CCTV per person than anywhere else (2200 cameras in Chicago, 400,000 in London), but show me the footage of a Policeman beating someone up after arresting them? A lot of them are still A-holes, but they manage to do their job on the most part without stamping on people.
No one broke the law except the escaped convict.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2007, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by sideus View Post
No one broke the law except the escaped convict.
Its not illegal to beat someone who is not resisting arrest?

sideus
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Its not illegal to beat someone who is not resisting arrest?
Where did this occur?

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Jul 7, 2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by KisforKennedy View Post
That's because cops are mostly power tripping assholes who think laws don't really apply to them. I can't tell you how many times I've seen cops not use signals, speed without lights, or do other stupid crap. The 'excuse to beat someone up' without getting into trouble is part of what draws people to the job in the first place.
okay????? maybe they didn't want to be seen..or have you ever thought they were going to a call. We do it all the time...I mean why announce your presence with lights and sirens when your going to a domestic or a fight? Or a robbery...thats just a accident waiting to happen. Also most people don't know how to react when they see those lights and a cop comes from behind...(wow thats what she said). Also being a firefighter I see cops everyday I am at work and talk with them. They are down to earth people. Sorry they were such assholes when they pulled you over or didn't joke around with you. Maybe the cop just had a slew of people chew him out for pulling them over for speeding. Or he had to give a death notice. He's there to serve and protect not to be nice and friendly although it does help.

I advise you to go to your local PD and ask for a ride along and then you can have a say so!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo View Post
okay????? maybe they didn't want to be seen..or have you ever thought they were going to a call. We do it all the time...I mean why announce your presence with lights and sirens when your going to a domestic or a fight? Or a robbery...thats just a accident waiting to happen. Also most people don't know how to react when they see those lights and a cop comes from behind...(wow thats what she said). Also being a firefighter I see cops everyday I am at work and talk with them. They are down to earth people. Sorry they were such assholes when they pulled you over or didn't joke around with you. Maybe the cop just had a slew of people chew him out for pulling them over for speeding. Or he had to give a death notice. He's there to serve and protect not to be nice and friendly although it does help.

I advise you to go to your local PD and ask for a ride along and then you can have a say so!

Actually that's what caused the near fatal accident in NJ with Governor Corzine. When the governor and his police entourage were coming up the parkway some young kid in a truck didn't know how to react to the lights coming behind him. When he attempted to get out of the way he put two wheels into the grass. When he over corrected he got in the way of another vehicle that swearved into the governors vehicle.

It would have been better for the governor to run stealth. (No lights). Of course ... it would have been better if he wasn't doing 90MPH as well ... but that's missing the point. Lights aren't always the safest way to travel. (At least not until we get something that resembles a driving school program here in the USA!)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2007, 11:53 AM

Looks like a beat-down to me. At least a mild one. The first cop seems to have one cuff on the guy before the other 5 or 6 pile on. The guy was lying face down, spread-eagle and not flailing about. One cop, maybe two, should have been able to cuff him in about 30 seconds. I'm sure their frustration got the best of them but still, it is not right.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2007, 12:01 PM

There is an easy way to avoid being beat by the police. Don't run.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
looks like a neon to me!

Zach
neon belongs to home owners, look behind it to see svx sandwiched by patrol car. svx drove in, and ditched the car behind the already parked neon. u see a patrol car swerve in and hit the back of the svx. in the video you still see the patrol car with it's grill kissing the svx back bumper.

you can tell the car in the middle is an svx by it's distinctive windows.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 10, 2007, 07:09 AM

There is an easy way to avoid being beat by the police. Don't run.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2007, 07:52 AM

A couple of those cops should be relieved of their jobs.

sideus, want a little of what got dished out on that bad guy? seeing as how you didn't see anything. I'll give ya some, and we'll see if it's nothin.

ha.

TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT. Handcuff him and clean up the car bumpers all over the highway. THE END.

Such bad eyesight in this thread, jeez.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules